So.. When Will We Be Able To Play With Our European And American Friends, Without Lag?

ricku

When I moved here from Europe, I pretty much dropped out from the world of online gaming.. It is not because of the warm weather or the cheap beer. It is because the high ping / lag is killing all the fun when playing with my friends - especially in games like BF3, WoW and Modern Warfare.

Finding good servers and communities here in Asia is not very easy, but even if there were lots of servers and active gamers, I still prefer to play with european and american gamers. This is mainly because I find it easier to communicate with them, and because the communities are so much bigger over there.

My question is: When will broadband technology become advanced enough for playing online games with friends across the globe, without getting too much lag? Are such connections on the horizon or is it just a wild pipe dream?

Sorry for my incredibly bad english here but I am a bit drunk and sad as I am typing this. smile.png Peace

Edited by ricku

I've been able to get Ping times between 200-300ms when playing on Auzzie servers - but EU/US servers still remain around the 350-450ms bracket

I would recommend trying to hook up with either Malaysian, Singaporean or Auzzie gamers for the online stuff as you can usually go for oceanic servers then.

but to answer your question directly, i wouldn't expect anything for the next 5-10 years minimum... to my knowledge there is no faster connection to the US right now nor anything in the pipelines.

I've been able to get Ping times between 200-300ms when playing on Auzzie servers - but EU/US servers still remain around the 350-450ms bracket

I would recommend trying to hook up with either Malaysian, Singaporean or Auzzie gamers for the online stuff as you can usually go for oceanic servers then.

but to answer your question directly, i wouldn't expect anything for the next 5-10 years minimum... to my knowledge there is no faster connection to the US right now nor anything in the pipelines.

How much can Fiber optic internet lower ping? I have been reading a long time ago it was like 5-10ms on every 100ms.

By the way are the Australian servers playable?

The answer to the topic: NEVER.

The highest possible speed for communications is the speed of light. There's no way you can communicate with (let's say) the USA faster than a straight fiber optics cable.

Supposing you had a fiber optics cable straight from your ISP to an american ISP without any intermediate routing (never gonna happen, but just suppose). Even with this cable you would still have 30,000km to travel, which would take 100ms not including the signal conversion delays.

100ms is quite good for WoW but considerably slow for shooting games. Be prepared to live with 200ms+ pings for many years.

The lowest RTD from SEAsia ( Singapore) to Chicago is 127ms, with another 13ms to reach New York. Not quite speed of light yet as the undersea cables still don't go straight enough and there are various pieces of equipment in the way. Microwave links would be faster, but low bandwidth and affected by weather (and flocks of birds!) - also hugely expensive to build of course so not suitable for Internet yet.

These RTD numbers are on a privately run low latency trading network which is in the ground right now and being used by banks in Asia to trade US markets.

Internet of course with multiple peering ISPs will be much slower

Personally I find the Japanese gamers have the advantage in MW, their internet is of such high quality they have killed me before they even appear on my screen! MW is still a great way to wastes few hours though! :-)

The highest possible speed for communications is the speed of light. There's no way you can communicate with (let's say) the USA faster than a straight fiber optics cable.

Supposing you had a fiber optics cable straight from your ISP to an american ISP without any intermediate routing (never gonna happen, but just suppose). Even with this cable you would still have 30,000km to travel, which would take 100ms not including the signal conversion delays.

100ms is quite good for WoW but considerably slow for shooting games. Be prepared to live with 200ms+ pings for many years.

Well there dies my pipe dream.

I guess I'm gonna have to learn to like single player games! smile.png

Edited by ricku

I guess I'm gonna have to learn to like single player game

>

I guess I'm gonna have to learn to like single player games! smile.png

If you play battlefield 3 there are many servers,Fragnetics,in Singapore where you can get 60-80 ping?