China Visa Service

Ian223

Would anyone be able to recommend a travel agent in Bangkok (Suk/Silom area) that can arrange for a China visa? I've inquired at a few but their prices were significantly higher than the consulate's rates - some quoting fully double the listed rates. I expect some should be able to arrange it for a reasonable courrier/service fee?

Double the consulate rate sounds reasonable.

They go to the consulate for you and wait in line to submit your application, then go back and wait in line to pick it up.

If there are any deficiencies in the documents or other reason for rejection, they do it again.

They pay the consulate rate.

The rest of what they charge you is their service fee. Sadly, they don't work for free....

Given recent posts about guys going back several times to get all their ducks in a row, I'd suggest sucking it up and paying them, unless your time has no monetary value to you (and your blood pressure meds are current).

Edited by impulse

It's a nightmare trying to get even a single entry Chinese tourist visa at the Chinese embassy in Bangkok. I doubt than an agent can even do this for you, as my previous agent told me that I had to attend in person. Good luck.

I got one through an agent our company uses after giving them my bank passbook, letter of employment, passport with 50+ Chinese entry stamps, etc, etc. I doubt that particular agent works for individuals or I'd be happy to post the info. And if they didn't work for the company for years, I would have never given them the documents which were really adequate to drain my bank account with a little larceny in their hearts.

I recommend looking up China Travel Services (CTS), if in fact they have a Bangkok office. They seem to have good connections to the consulates in other cities, and at the very least can tell you whether your documents are adequate. They served me very well in S Korea when visas were almost impossible during the Olympics without going to your home country.

Strangely, in S Korea, they did not allow you to apply in person- you had to use an agent. I've heard it's the opposite in BKK, so I was surprised my company's agent came through.

Edited by impulse

impulse is not quite right-a good agent does this in bulk-and has couriers, Ive seen them with stacks of 100+ passprts at that visa-issue-office and they never wait-they know the people (and likely ''bribe'' them every now and then) and just drop off that stack and turn back-(opposite the embassy-a dire Chinese otherwise empty and neglected office building, just a little further as tescoLotus in FortuneTown.

Ian is wrong in NOt having stated his nationality-there are different prices for different nations-and price also depends on how speedy you want it done- with 0, 50, 75 or 100% surcharge. Often agents only do speedy-which may all explain comparing apples and pears.

Also since about 2 yrs now China-in his tipical Asian way of feeling hurt in pride as his own citizens need all types of visa- and now simply copies what YOUR nation imposes on them- for most EU/Schengen this means confirmed hotelbookings, flighttix in+out, health insruance and often even more-often UK is even more strict in these matters. For this a good agent can be worth his/her weight in gold-they -as Thai know cheating so well- all tricks to get around that. And- its your own fate- the tourist ghetto around Sukh/Silom simply has dumb tourists a plenty who know nothing of the price. get out of that, if you dare, and find a Chinatown agent. Maybe you can even spot a free bus to go there-then you only losse time.

impulse is not quite right-a good agent does this in bulk-and has couriers, Ive seen them with stacks of 100+ passprts at that visa-issue-office and they never wait-they know the people (and likely ''bribe'' them every now and then) and just drop off that stack and turn back-(opposite the embassy-a dire Chinese otherwise empty and neglected office building, just a little further as tescoLotus in FortuneTown.

Ian is wrong in NOt having stated his nationality-there are different prices for different nations-and price also depends on how speedy you want it done- with 0, 50, 75 or 100% surcharge. Often agents only do speedy-which may all explain comparing apples and pears.

Also since about 2 yrs now China-in his tipical Asian way of feeling hurt in pride as his own citizens need all types of visa- and now simply copies what YOUR nation imposes on them- for most EU/Schengen this means confirmed hotelbookings, flighttix in+out, health insruance and often even more-often UK is even more strict in these matters. For this a good agent can be worth his/her weight in gold-they -as Thai know cheating so well- all tricks to get around that. And- its your own fate- the tourist ghetto around Sukh/Silom simply has dumb tourists a plenty who know nothing of the price. get out of that, if you dare, and find a Chinatown agent. Maybe you can even spot a free bus to go there-then you only losse time.

If you're looking for a free bus to take you down to the agency, you have different priorities than I have.

Of course they do it in bulk and they have couriers. And I have seen couriers in Houston and Chicago waiting their turn in line behind other couriers each carrying dozens of passports. Sometimes they're in the same line as I am and sometimes there is a special line for agents registered to do business with the consulate.

I would suggest you consider the possibility that Silom and Sukh is chock full of people that are smart enough to spend their money to hire someone else to do the waiting and not "dumb tourists who know nothing of the price".

I've probably done it in person 5-6 times, and it's always a headache - queueing up outside waiting for the doors to open, the mad dash up the stairs and into the room, usually stuck behind courriers with sacks full of applications. As a US citizen, I get the special "reciprocal" rate of $130 USD. I think I was quoted the equivalent of $250 USD at an agent, which had me wondering if that mark-up is standard.

This is what I had to provide being married to a Thai and living in Thailand.

Application form

Supplementary application form.

Proof of your employer, business card or letter.

Flight itinary.

Hotel confirmation proof of booking from the hotel.

If married.

Marriage certificate copy

Tabien baan copy

Wife's ID card copy.

Photo copy of your passport photo page

Photo copy of current your visa page

Work permit copy if you have one.

A current bank statement

This is for a tourist visa <deleted>!

I was planning to apply for one but gave up before I started because I couldn't get all the info I needed. I will try again in about 6 months time when I get back from USA. I'm a UK citizen.

Do I need to book the flights in advance? I was told I did, and this is what put me off initially.

Can I get a tourist visa for China if I have a retirement visa here? i.e. no job.

Is it easy for a Thai citizen to get a tourist visa for China?

I think they'd make more money from tourism if they made things a little more straightforward.

davejones, If you are in the USA, I'd suggest contacting a Visa Agency in the USA and ask them if they can get you the visa.

I use VIP Passport Services in Houston (Google them) as Houston has a Chinese consulate. I have sent them my passport from wherever I am in the USA and they do the deal and send it back via Fed-Ex.

Even if you decide not to use their services (they aren't too expensive, but not cheap, either), they can tell you in a few minute phone call what they would need from you and whether they can help you.

There are dozens of visa agencies and I don't mean to claim they are the best or cheapest. But they have always done for me exactly what they said they could.

I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll have an easier time getting a tourist visa as a UK citizen travelling in the USA than as a retiree living in Thailand.

BTW, I started using VIP because the company I worked for had sent them thousands of passports over the years for our employees who travel overseas, to get visas.

Edited by impulse

davejones, If you are in the USA, I'd suggest contacting a Visa Agency in the USA and ask them if they can get you the visa.

I use VIP Passport Services in Houston (Google them) as Houston has a Chinese consulate. I have sent them my passport from wherever I am in the USA and they do the deal and send it back via Fed-Ex.

Even if you decide not to use their services (they aren't too expensive, but not cheap, either), they can tell you in a few minute phone call what they would need from you and whether they can help you.

There are dozens of visa agencies and I don't mean to claim they are the best or cheapest. But they have always done for me exactly what they said they could.

I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll have an easier time getting a tourist visa as a UK citizen travelling in the USA than as a retiree living in Thailand.

BTW, I started using VIP because the company I worked for had sent them thousands of passports over the years for our employees who travel overseas, to get visas.

From what I read I thought you had apply from the country that you were resident in. Would a UK and Thai citizen be able to apply from USA? I'll definitely check them out, as it could save lots of hassle.

From what I read I thought you had apply from the country that you were resident in. Would a UK and Thai citizen be able to apply from USA? I'll definitely check them out, as it could save lots of hassle.

Short answer is I don't know, but they do and can answer your questions in short order. Better to get the answer while you're still in the USA than find out later you should'a....

i was told by agents that previously done this service that since june last year every applicant has to apply in person, thats exactly what i had to do a couple of months ago...on my 6th visit i got the visa,

It really was a lot of ducks to get in a row, many people gave up and decided to go to hongkong saying it was much easier to get the visa for china there,

Btw...in the past i had 8 tourist visas for china and at one time i had lived there almost 2 years, in those days everything was much easier...i had chinese bank accounts...credit cards.. also had a shop in shuhe yunnan.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Can't specifically comment on agents here.

Most of the visa laws have always been the same, letter of invitation, return ticket, hotel booking etc. but the problem is that china sporadically chooses to enforce them. Plus they'll sometimes strictly enforce these rules on some nationalities more than others.

I lived and worked in China for many years. You could often predict when the visa crack downs would begin.

If you have the time, fly to Hong Kong where you can pick up tourist visas at almost any travel agent with minimal hassle and often within 48hrs.

There is also the 72hr visa free option (conditions apply) if you're flying to shanghai or beijing.

It definitely was easier in the past -- for the past 8 years I'd fill out the application, pay the money, and get the visa, no questions asked. When I applied at the US consulate, I could get the 1 year multi-entry; when I did it in BKK at the consulate, they best they'd offer was the 6 month multi-entry. I applied last month in the US - same procedure as I've always done - and was curtly rejected for not showing a hotel and flight confirmation. I explained that I'd be flying to HK via another country, then entering mainland overland, but no matter. Probably in the time since my last visa expired, they cracked down and/or decided to reinforce existing rules as WhiskyLover mentioned.

• Like 1

I was planning to apply for one but gave up before I started because I couldn't get all the info I needed. I will try again in about 6 months time when I get back from USA. I'm a UK citizen.

Do I need to book the flights in advance? I was told I did, and this is what put me off initially.

Can I get a tourist visa for China if I have a retirement visa here? i.e. no job.

I think they'd make more money from tourism if they made things a little more straightforward.

I live near Songkhla,in the consulate fast never waiting in long line my wife is Thai no problem I have also a retirement visa also no problem.You can pick it up for a higher fee after one day I got it after 3 days have to look what I paid for
  • Like 2

I live near Songkhla,in the consulate fast never waiting in long line my wife is Thai no problem I have also a retirement visa also no problem.You can pick it up for a higher fee after one day I got it after 3 days have to look what I paid for

That sounds good. I asked in a place in Silom that did China visas, and they told me I had to do it myself because I had a retirement visa. They could only do it for people with work visas. Anyway, I'll get this sorted soon. Just have to work out when I'm going first.

All you need is a copy of your ticket confirmation (return), a copy of your hotel booking and if I remember correctly, passport photos, application form and of course the visa fee (this varies depending on nationality).

I've been to the consulate twice in the last 2 years and I was in and out in a jiffy - 15 to 20 minutes max.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd share an update on this. Got in when the doors opened on Monday, and was prepared with:

- Round-trip flight confirmation

- Hotel confirmation

- Thai visa copy

- Previous China visa copy

- Passport copy *

- Standard visa form V2001.a *

- Supplementary visa form V2001.b *

* Two copies required for US citizens

Queue was about one hour, and my application was rejected for not including a bank statement and letter of employment. Came back this morning with those documents, another hour in the queue and all was good. There were a lot of people - both Thai and foreign - being rejected for insufficient documentation.

Here's the required documentation as posted on the visa application windows. Hopefully this will save some applicants an extra trip.

post-16581-13685184479228_thumb.jpg

and in Thai:

post-16581-0-00936300-1368519499_thumb.j

Edited by Ian223
  • Like 1

I have worked in China for many years and in the past I had no problems in obtaining a visa from the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok. About a year ago things changed dramatically. See previous post.

Two weeks ago I mailed my second passport with all the necessary information that is required to my agent in the UK. He made the application for me and applied for a multi entry business visa with a validity of 1 year. I just received a mail yesterday saying that they have only issued me a double entry visa. They really seem to be tightening up for reasons unknown.

A lot of costs for little result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...