Ed Visa Extension Extra Bonus Bonanza

Today I went to Chaeng Wattana Immigration office feeling miserable. I had a black eye and various cuts on my face from a minor accident yesterday. I was wearing shades to hide it but had to take them off for the photo. I could see the immigration officer looking at me and being sympathetic.

Anyhow I don't know if he fell sorry for me or confused or is it just general disorganization, but when I got my passport back, I had a bit of a surprise : I got one year instead of the usual 3 months !! (my extension is until 14 May 2014)

Shall I just be happy and use it up or do I have to go back and make it correct it because I am not going to get away with this ?

Thank you in advance for your help

K

The extension of stay for the reason of studying can indeed be for up to one year. From Police Order 777/2521:

2.8 In the case of enrollment in a government educational institution: Each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year.

2.9 In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution: Each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year.

The extension of stay for the reason of studying can indeed be for up to one year. From Police Order 777/2521:

2.8 In the case of enrollment in a government educational institution: Each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year.

2.9 In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution: Each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year.

Thank you for your answer ...

So I can indeed use this one year visa ? My enrollment in the school is from Nov 2012, if I use my one year from now, it would be more than a year in the same school ...

It is really an extension of stay not a visa.

Since your enrollment ends in November that should of been the date when the extension runs out if you did qualify for a 1 year extension. That tells me that the immigration officer made a mistake when he stamped your passport. It would probably be a good idea to go to immigration and try to get things sorted out.

It is really an extension of stay not a visa.

Since your enrollment ends in November that should of been the date when the extension runs out if you did qualify for a 1 year extension. That tells me that the immigration officer made a mistake when he stamped your passport. It would probably be a good idea to go to immigration and try to get things sorted out.

What, do you think would be the consequences if I took the benefit of their mistake ?

Overstay fine of 500 baht per day is possible.

I suspect that they will catch the error the next time you make a 90 day report.

How could they fine me for overstay if the date on my passport is in one year ?

Plus I have done nothing wrong

If an error has been made you are the responsible person and will be fined. It is your responsibility to know and follow the law and a stamp of the wrong date does not absolve you of that responsibility.

But it would help to know the type of study/school you are attending in this case as some study would normally allow one year extensions and others not. In any event stay on any extension is not allowed after the reason for that extension ends so if you stayed longer than attending classes it would be overstay if found out.

As UbonJoe mentions, if it is a genuine one-year extension, then the officer should have stapled in a slip with the date of your 90 day reporting requirement. If you don't report after 90 days on a one-year extension, big problems will arise.

If an error has been made you are the responsible person and will be fined. It is your responsibility to know and follow the law and a stamp of the wrong date does not absolve you of that responsibility.

But it would help to know the type of study/school you are attending in this case as some study would normally allow one year extensions and others not. In any event stay on any extension is not allowed after the reason for that extension ends so if you stayed longer than attending classes it would be overstay if found out.

I am at JP Teacher http://www.jpteachers.com/

I have been trying to reach them for info (Stephen my contact) he does not pick up.

As UbonJoe mentions, if it is a genuine one-year extension, then the officer should have stapled in a slip with the date of your 90 day reporting requirement. If you don't report after 90 days on a one-year extension, big problems will arise.

Oh I was planning on going to 90 days report anyway

If you haven't left and re-entered Thailand since your arrival in November it seems your next 90-day address report will be due in May and you can ask the immigration office about the correctness of your new extension stamp at that time.

• Like 1

If you haven't left and re-entered Thailand since your arrival in November it seems your next 90-day address report will be due in May and you can ask the immigration office about the correctness of your new extension stamp at that time.

I have done my 90 days report yesterday, so next one is end of july

Hello Kitsune

Today, we also went for our ED-extension at Chaeng Wattana...

We moved from Hua Hin to BKK and in Hua Hin we had a one year extension (this is new since last year at Immigration HH).

Today (after the first year in HH) - we only received an 90 days extension and the officer and her boss looked at our last extension (1 year) in our passport and told us that in BKK there is not such (1 year) an extension for a ED visa - only 90 days.

You might really ask them again - the latest when you do your 90 days notice (report of address) in July.

Prin