Getting To Sihanoukville From Bkk By Car

ezzra

Is it possible and safe to drive to Sihanoukvill by private car and if so how to go about it?

alternatively, what are the best ways of getting there by other means of transportations?

Went there a couple of years ago despite reading bad reports online. The beach was dirty, side roads were appalling and the town had nothing of interest. Unless you have been there before, I suggest you ask around before you visit.

Last report I got was you can drive a motorbike into Cambodia but no way can you take a car..Insurance problems--Liability problems and so forth...

With the proper documents you can drive a Bike and cross the borders...

Last report I got was you can drive a motorbike into Cambodia but no way can you take a car..Insurance problems--Liability problems and so forth...

With the proper documents you can drive a Bike and cross the borders...

Cambodian cars come into Thailand though.

I understand it is possible to drive a car across if you see to all the paperwork. but it is not at all a good idea.

For one thing, Cambodia drives on the right, unlike Thailand, which means that your Thai vehicle will have the wheel on the wrong side, which increases the odds of an accident. For another, the Cambodians drive like lunatics...granted it could be argued that the Thais do too, but it's a different sort of lunacy and if you are not in tune with it, you're very likely to have an accident. Personally I do drive in Camb (in cars with left hand steering, of course) but I've been there for years and am acculturated to the way they drive.

And lastly, it is quite easy to get to SHV by public transport. Cross at Trat, can get a share taxi/minibus/bus or a boat to Snookie. 4-5 hours. A high percentage of western tourists crossing at Trat are headed there so no problem, you'll easily be directed to a vehicle.

If you want to go by boat, it leaves in the morning around 8 AM so need to cross the border early...or do so the night before.

I think it isn't such negative as few people mention here but you have not to be shy of paperwork (even I hadn't). Also if left or right hand driving depend on driver, I have no problem also not in Laos which drive too at same side as the Cambodian.

What I propose is and it is almost a must.

First you make a ITP (International Transport Passport) the violet bucklet in the office for Land and Transport in your Changwat. Then you stick the " T " at your care and take the ITP with translation of mcar document. This avoid at the border to bribe and make you safe come back without problems at Thai border.

In Laos and Cambo in the past was a must to sign a additional car insurance for the time you plan drive in Cambo. Cambo I not know now if still needed, for Laos it is since 2 years not requested but better (few dollars) i case of crash.

Sure Shianoukville or KEP isn't as the Copacabana or Nice in France but for Cambodia a good place. All depen what the visitor expect for low money!

An other possibility is you fly to Phom Penh (rather expensive if no Promo) and rent a car approx. 20 - 25 $ / day. The road to SV is not bad an can be done in 3 hours.

Since 2 years I take a promo from Lufthansa BKK - Ho Chi Minh City for ca. 4200 THB roundtrip, allowance 23 kgs plus cabin luggage and 1 meal included. Hang around few days in HCMC und take a direct Bus HCMC - Phnom Penh for ca. 20 US-$ one way (have also offer direct Shianoukeville for maybe 5 $ plus). Alternative to the bus rent car in Phnom Penh (not possible in Vietnam without VN driver license even if you have the new Thai which is valid in all Asean Member countries.

For me HCMC make sense for shopping e.g. the very good Vietnamese coffee Nugyen Gourment :-) ... and other good thimgs too.

Now certain I will get many nonsense critics but I travel frequently around to all neighbour countries by car ( except Myanmar and Vietnam) since 6 years.

Via Vietnam have the disadvantage because since January they increased the Visa fees from 20$ for letter for e-visa and 45 $ for stamping fees (was 25) for a single 1 month visa , multiple all together 75 $ Here the details http://www.vietnamvisacorp.com/visa-fee.html

Anyway we never can generalise such trips because each has his own wishes and dreams! Have a nice trip wai2.gif

I think it isn't such negative as few people mention here but you have not to be shy of paperwork (even I hadn't). Also if left or right hand driving depend on driver, I have no problem also not in Laos which drive too at same side as the Cambodian.

First you make a ITP (International Transport Passport) the violet bucklet in the office for Land and Transport in your Changwat. Then you stick the " T " at your care and take the ITP with translation of mcar document. This avoid at the border to bribe and make you safe come back without problems at Thai border.

In Laos and Cambo in the past was a must to sign a additional car insurance for the time you plan drive in Cambo. Cambo I not know now if still needed, for Laos it is since 2 years not requested but better (few dollars) i case of crash.

Sure Shianoukville or KEP isn't as the Copacabana or Nice in France but for Cambodia a good place. All depen what the visitor expect for low money!

An other possibility is you fly to Phom Penh (rather expensive if no Promo) and rent a car approx. 20 - 25 $ / day. The road to SV is not bad an can be done in 3 hours.

Since 2 years I take a promo from Lufthansa BKK - Ho Chi Minh City for ca. 4200 THB roundtrip, allowance 23 kgs plus cabin luggage and 1 meal included. Hang around few days in HCMC und take a direct Bus HCMC - Phnom Penh for ca. 20 US-$ one way (have also offer direct Shianoukeville for maybe 5 $ plus). Alternative to the bus rent car in Phnom Penh (not possible in Vietnam without VN driver license even if you have the new Thai which is valid in all Asean Member countries.

For me HCMC make sense for shopping e.g. the very good Vietnamese coffee Nugyen Gourment :-) ... and other good thimgs too.

Now certain I will get many nonsense critics but I travel frequently around to all neighbour countries by car ( except Myanmar and Vietnam) since 6 years.

Via Vietnam have the disadvantage because since January they increased the Visa fees from 20$ for letter for e-visa and 45 $ for stamping fees (was 25) for a single 1 month visa , multiple all together 75 $ Here the details http://www.vietnamvisacorp.com/visa-fee.html

Anyway we never can generalise such trips because each has his own wishes and dreams! Have a nice trip wai2.gif

Thanks Challenger, good summery of the possibilities from you, I think I will end up flying to PP with AirAsia at Bht. 4,500 all up return and get the bus or a car to take to Snooki as i'm reading of travelers encountering lots of hassles at the border crossing and the last thing I want to do is argue with the border people.

Quote ezzra: "Thanks Challenger, good summery of the possibilities from you, I think I will end up flying to PP with AirAsia at Bht. 4,500 all up return and get the bus or a car to take to Snooki as i'm reading of travelers encountering lots of hassles at the border crossing and the last thing I want to do is argue with the border people".

Agree, have done that a couple of times and got a taxi (mostly Toyota Camrys) to Snooki and back. Approx US$50 each way and takes about an hour or so less than the bus.

First you make a ITP (International Transport Passport) the violet bucklet in the office for Land and

Transport in your Changwat. Then you stick the " T " at your care and take the ITP with translation of mcar document. This avoid at the border

to bribe and make you safe come back without problems at Thai border.

In Laos and Cambo in the past was a must to sign a additional car insurance for the time you plan drive in Cambo. Cambo I not know now if still needed, for Laos it is since 2

years not requested but better (few dollars) i case of crash.

The purple book u obtain from the vehicle dept is ONLY good/valid for Laos, It is NOT accepted in Cambodia,

You cannot obtain insurance for a Thai registered car in Cambodia.

Legally u are required to possess a Cambodian drivers license to drive in Cambodia.

OK; got that all out of the way,

NOW my experience.

Laos

I have taken my thai car into Laos twice ( last trip was July last year and heading back up this July) u NEED the purple book that u get at the Vehicle dept for 50 baht, its really only a translated copy of ur Blue book.

You are required to but insurance ( cost me 700 baht for 3 weeks )

You get a 30 day visa on arrival for $35 ( if American) BUT ur car only is allowed in for 15 days which i am told can be extended.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/Phuketrick/Purplecarbook.jpg

Cambodia;

I have entered 3 times via Trat/Koh Kong ( 2008,09,10)

U are asked/told to pay 100 baht/day for every day your car will be in Cambodia ( i usually tell them 3 days) and are told your only allowed to drive in Koh Kong Provence.. You are then issued a red plastic plate which u are supposed to display on ur dash. I drove all over Cambodia an never had any trouble

Have been stopped twice; fined once in PP ( $5) once in SHV ($20)

In 2011 and than last July i entered via Osmach ( south of surin) and will be using this entrance in July this year. I stopped at the customs and had to wake the customs guy up both times and he said no problem just come back and exit here ( i exited via Poi Pet both times)

U legally only supposed to have ur car out of Thailand 30 days but they really don't care, last time i had my car out for about 2 1/2 months)

Malaysia

You need to have a letter for the vehicle dept in English ( the purple book is not used) to drive into Malaysia ( drove down to Penang in March) you then buy insurance at the border ( 800 baht 1 month) an than get a customs form. You also need english stickers of ur Thai plates for then front an back of your car. NOTE your car can only have a max 50% tint on your windows. Mine were 28% an it took me 15 minutes being nice before he let me in.

gasohol 91 was 10 baht/lt cheaper!!!

You can also get a bus from Pattaya to Koh Kong/Shv

or fly into PP an than take a bus down ( $6-9) and 5-7 hours)

or taxi 3 1/.2-4 hours $50

Having ur own car is a sheer joy in Cambodia and outside of PP there is little traffic ( other than the PP-Shv road) Roads up north are very good an travel is easy

Only trouble is passing :-)

Edited by phuketrichard

the Cambodians drive like lunatics...granted it could be argued that the Thais do too, but it's a different sort of lunacy and if you are not in tune with it, you're very likely to have an accident.

Sheryl, I have done a lot of mileage in Thailand and I thought I was used to everything, you make me curious, please explain me in what way Cambodians drive differently than Thais? I am sure you have a few nice stories to tell, thanks for your time.

First you make a ITP (International Transport Passport) the violet bucklet in the office for Land and

Transport in your Changwat. Then you stick the " T " at your care and take the ITP with translation of mcar document. This avoid at the border

to bribe and make you safe come back without problems at Thai border.

In Laos and Cambo in the past was a must to sign a additional car insurance for the time you plan drive in Cambo. Cambo I not know now if still needed, for Laos it is since 2

years not requested but better (few dollars) i case of crash.

The purple book u obtain from the vehicle dept is ONLY good/valid for Laos, It is NOT accepted in Cambodia,

You cannot obtain insurance for a Thai registered car in Cambodia.

Legally u are required to possess a Cambodian drivers license to drive in Cambodia.

OK; got that all out of the way,

NOW my experience.

Laos

I have taken my thai car into Laos twice ( last trip was July last year and heading back up this July) u NEED the purple book that u get at the Vehicle dept for 50 baht, its really only a translated copy of ur Blue book.

You are required to but insurance ( cost me 700 baht for 3 weeks )

You get a 30 day visa on arrival for $35 ( if American) BUT ur car only is allowed in for 15 days which i am told can be extended.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/Phuketrick/Purplecarbook.jpg

Cambodia;

I have entered 3 times via Trat/Koh Kong ( 2008,09,10)

U are asked/told to pay 100 baht/day for every day your car will be in Cambodia ( i usually tell them 3 days) and are told your only allowed to drive in Koh Kong Provence.. You are then issued a red plastic plate which u are supposed to display on ur dash. I drove all over Cambodia an never had any trouble

Have been stopped twice; fined once in PP ( $5) once in SHV ($20)

In 2011 and than last July i entered via Osmach ( south of surin) and will be using this entrance in July this year. I stopped at the customs and had to wake the customs guy up both times and he said no problem just come back and exit here ( i exited via Poi Pet both times)

U legally only supposed to have ur car out of Thailand 30 days but they really don't care, last time i had my car out for about 2 1/2 months)

Malaysia

You need to have a letter for the vehicle dept in English ( the purple book is not used) to drive into Malaysia ( drove down to Penang in March) you then buy insurance at the border ( 800 baht 1 month) an than get a customs form. You also need english stickers of ur Thai plates for then front an back of your car. NOTE your car can only have a max 50% tint on your windows. Mine were 28% an it took me 15 minutes being nice before he let me in.

gasohol 91 was 10 baht/lt cheaper!!!

You can also get a bus from Pattaya to Koh Kong/Shv

or fly into PP an than take a bus down ( $6-9) and 5-7 hours)

or taxi 3 1/.2-4 hours $50

Having ur own car is a sheer joy in Cambodia and outside of PP there is little traffic ( other than the PP-Shv road) Roads up north are very good an travel is easy

Only trouble is passing :-)

Valuable posting with lots of useful information, thanks for that.

Went there a couple of years ago despite reading bad reports online. The beach was dirty, side roads were appalling and the town had nothing of interest. Unless you have been there before, I suggest you ask around before you visit.

Come there since a couple of years, year by year, 1-2 month or more staying at every trip, last end of 2010. Liked it! wink.png

Thanks Challenger, good summery of the possibilities from you, I think I will end up flying to PP with AirAsia at Bht. 4,500 all up return and get the bus or a car to take to Snooki as i'm reading of travelers encountering lots of hassles at the border crossing and the last thing I want to do is argue with the border people.

If you accept what they want, 1.500.- Baht Max or have an E-Visa from the Internet, its no Big Deal. rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO