Superiors Of Bribes Taking Bangkok Traffic Police Officer Transferred

webfact

Just cough up...or would you rather they framed you and stung you for far more down the station for all your protests?

Bear in mind that at times 'doing something wrong' can merely be having white skin here...

Don't sweat it...

I don't protest and give my 200 baht donation. However that doesn't mean people should accept it.

I think Thais are getting sick of it also but could not complain. It was pointless for them to go and report an officer to a station as they knew nothing would come of it and there was also the fear factor. Now Thais have found a better way and that is the social media where the officers and the Police force are being publical ashamed across the world. It has actually forced authorities to do something (as little as it may be).

Absolutely...what a fine post.

The drawback is though, when people can no longer get off with bunging the coppers a few hundred, and have to pay the full wallop, they'll be clamouring for a return to the current status quo.

But then, it might get a few DUI drivers off the road, if they cant pay bribe and continue on their merry way, pun intended.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much these guy's make in one day? How much is the bribe around 100B? if they do ten a day, I want a job with them.

Enough for buying luxury cars, houses and supporting several mia nois..

There are some police stops at Pathanakhan that are there ONLY for taking motorcycle driver bribes, I've paid them about 6 times 100 baht.

no more! now a days I just speed off whenever I can. They know they are crocks and also do I.

Just cough up...or would you rather they framed you and stung you for far more down the station for all your protests?

Bear in mind that at times 'doing something wrong' can merely be having white skin here...

Don't sweat it...

I don't protest and give my 200 baht donation. However that doesn't mean people should accept it.

I think Thais are getting sick of it also but could not complain. It was pointless for them to go and report an officer to a station as they knew nothing would come of it and there was also the fear factor. Now Thais have found a better way and that is the social media where the officers and the Police force are being publical ashamed across the world. It has actually forced authorities to do something (as little as it may be).

Absolutely...what a fine post.

The drawback is though, when people can no longer get off with bunging the coppers a few hundred, and have to pay the full wallop, they'll be clamouring for a return to the current status quo.

OR they may stop breaking the law

• Like 1

I wonder how much these guy's make in one day? How much is the bribe around 100B? if they do ten a day, I want a job with them.

Enough for buying luxury cars, houses and supporting several mia nois..

Does anyone know the Upfront Cash Payment needed to "join" the RTP? Currently it is rumored around here to be about THREE years pay. Takes a while at 100/200Baht per time to recover this just for the basics of living ! Have a bit of sympathy for many of these are not "under paid" but not paid at all!

The office of inactive posts must be bursting at the seams. If they try to shove one more in there it is going to burst flooding the streets with corrupt officers.

Where I am from these guys would be sttod down without pay, be charged internally and criminally and then fired. (if found guilty in criminal court)

I didn't see the OP news report saying these two guys had been sent to INACTIVE posts...

I saw the article saying they had been sent to comparable positions at other police stations, where presumably they're now free to continue doing what they had been doing at Bearing....

The office of inactive posts must be bursting at the seams. If they try to shove one more in there it is going to burst flooding the streets with corrupt officers.

Where I am from these guys would be sttod down without pay, be charged internally and criminally and then fired. (if found guilty in criminal court)

I didn't see the OP news report saying these two guys had been sent to INACTIVE posts...

I saw the article saying they had been sent to comparable positions at other police stations, where presumably they're now free to continue doing what they had been doing at Bearing....

I think the idea of moving them was less likelihood of having videos made of them stealing in other areas.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Oh that's a relief then, thought they may have to be sitting around on thier rear ends doing nothing and drinking whisky. Good to see they still have to work for thier moneythumbsup.gif

Edited by chooka

Why aren't we prosecuting the people who give the bribes as well? People take the fact that they can for granted.

I have had my fair share of people trying to bribe me on the job and record every converstion. I only ever charged one. I was working in an area with a high Indian and Asian population (University close by) This particular guy tried to bribe me and after two warnings he came with the line "take the money and go buy yourself some nice doughnuts and a coffee" Apparently he thought Australian and American cops were the same. Aussie cops don't eat doughnuts. It was ok to try and bribe but never insult an aussie cop.

Yeah, guess if he'd offered you a few tinnies or Barbie meat you would have taken them.

Insult an auzzie cop ? it would go right over his head.

I'm surprised the authorities here didn't say it was all just a big misunderstanding, and the bribe taking was just late from having occurred during the Thai New Year, when it's perfectly appropriate for police to "accept" bribes from the grateful public. whistling.gif

Was sitting in a coffee shop one morning in CM near a busy intersection. Watched 6 BiB pull up and set up their little checkpoint. Just for the hell of it, I opened a blank word page and placed a "x" for each person who got hit with a fine. 400 baht a pop. I also timed it for 1 hour. In that one hour I saw "fines" of 400 baht paid 136 times. You do the math.

Its unfortunate that the police have to take bribes to support their families.

My wife's dad is a police officer and he is finding it difficult to make ends meet on his meager salary.

Shame on you Thailand!

• Like 1

Why aren't we prosecuting the people who give the bribes as well? People take the fact that they can for granted.

I have had my fair share of people trying to bribe me on the job and record every converstion. I only ever charged one. I was working in an area with a high Indian and Asian population (University close by) This particular guy tried to bribe me and after two warnings he came with the line "take the money and go buy yourself some nice doughnuts and a coffee" Apparently he thought Australian and American cops were the same. Aussie cops don't eat doughnuts. It was ok to try and bribe but never insult an aussie cop.

Yeah, guess if he'd offered you a few tinnies or Barbie meat you would have taken them.

Insult an auzzie cop ? it would go right over his head.

Nah it doesn't go over thier heads that is what we call writing your own tickets. Ok sir I see you don't have enough, oh I see you don't have water in your washer bottle. That will be $250 for failing to comply with conditions of registration. Would you like fries with that?

Its unfortunate that the police have to take bribes to support their families.

My wife's dad is a police officer and he is finding it difficult to make ends meet on his meager salary.

Shame on you Thailand!

My brother in law is one also and he never seems to have enough money to get by, just finnished building his own home after 15 yrs in the service. He openly admits the events but doesn't call it corruption, more like a second job to make ends meet. He can't believe how much an Aussie copper earns in one month which is nearly more than he earns in a whole year.

• Like 1

Deputy PM Chalerm is ordering the Thai Police to attend madatory seminars in order to address the problem of misunderstood bribes taking:

Quote: "the concept of bribes taking is part of the Thai culture, and all the officers need to learn is to keep up with the latest Bribes Taking Techniques"

These are the seminars:

1. Location, location, location (take your bribe in a small, enclosed, previously searched area) - step-by-step walkthru, you fool

2. Camouflage (how to alter any identifying badges, decals, etc) - working with a dummy, you dummy

3. Misdirection (theatrics, dramatics, sleight of hands to fool any casual observers) - take a lesson from your favorite TV star, you nitwit

4. Proof? What proof?!!! (creative accounting, off-shore banking) - the pros and cons, you con

At the successful conclusion of the seminars, the officers will be given a bribes taking certificate to show any snooping reporter that they comply with Thai culture requirements.

Deputy PM Chalerm, having completed said seminars himself: "Just do it, dudes, your life will be so much easier, trust me!"

Do TV readers understands the Royal Thai police company?This is a normal franchisecompany,as with franchise you wil have to buy yourself in.By the RTP it start with about 150.000/200.000 thb for a low ranking and 500.000 for a higer ranking.The company will supply you with a company uniform,a ticketbook and a workingspot.As with all franchisecompany's you will have to pay a fee to the headoffice.

As you see it is just a business like others

Would it not have been simpler to say two high ranking dishonest corrupt police officers get transferred.

Or have been charged and stood down without pay pending court.

My wife says it was on tv that a cop arrested a driver for offering a bribe ... first I ever heard of that. Guess that is why it makes the news.

That's ok for an extra 20 baht he will be released. probably just got his licence and his grandfather told him, now my boy if the police stop you just give them 25 satang and you will be on your way. Grandpa probably hadn't driven for 20 yrs and forgot about inflation. Honest mistake and he will learn

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

I don't see the problem...

Bung them a couple of hundred and on your way....would you rather the UK/US style alternative???

Yes I would. The UK/US alternative is to hire (and pay) professional police officers to uphold the law. The Thai way of 'bunging them' a couple of hundred baht encourages law breakers on the road. Drunk driving, no insurance, no license in many cases only contributes to the daily carnage we see on the roads.

If a motorist (god forbid) knocked down and killed a loved one of yours whilst drunk, would you accept and be happy that he was allowed to continue driving after he/she had 'bunged' a corrupt policeman a couple of hundred baht???

• Like 2

Anyone who takes a bribe is just a common thief stealing money, sack them take away any pension rights and lock the thief’s up in prison where every criminal belongs.

People don’t need to turn to crime just to survive they can go and find an honest job.

• Like 1