Copper Tape Against Snail?

We have a lot of snails in our garden. We gave up to control this, actually there are a few plants they don't like, that's ok.

But now we build an elevated flower bed to grow some herbs and vegetables and we want to defend this patch against snails as good as possible. I read snails would not cross copper. It was recommended to have copper tape around the patch.

Now the big question: Where could I get copper tape in Thailand?

Any other idea to keep the snails out?

Have you tried Deadmeal from your local farm supplier? It is metal dehyde granules.

I had a lot of smal snails in my lawn a few months ago, applied deadmeal ones and everything was cleared.

I haven't often had a problem with snails.

I have found that a mulch of rice husks puts them off.

Rice husks on the surface, don't readily absorb water and when they do, they tend to dry out quite quickly.

The snails do not like moving across dry rice husks.

Maybe not so useful in the rainy season :)

• Like 1

Have you tried Deadmeal from your local farm supplier? It is metal dehyde granules.

Deadmeal? Sounds like the last meal before execution, which it actually should be! :) Not sure what that metal dehydrate is, can it be used on a vegetable patch?

I have found that a mulch of rice husks puts them off.

Rice husks on the surface, don't readily absorb water and when they do, they tend to dry out quite quickly.

The snails do not like moving across dry rice husks.

At leat this is for sure not be unhealthy. Where could I get it?

Will consider both, thanks! But as this patch is clearly separated from the rest of the garden, I thought it would make sense to have some kind of snake barrier around it. Not sue if this is possible. This elevated patch was finished just today. Need to experiment a bit.

At least this is for sure not be unhealthy. Where could I get it?

Outside of the cities, you are never far from a place that will mill rice. The small places will often allow you to take a few sacks of rice husks for free (take your own sack and fill it yourself).

In thai it is called แกลบ "Glaeb" or "Glairb" without pronouncing the "r"

Whenever I go to my local small mill, I will buy 5 Kilos of rice bran ("Rum" or more commonly "Lum")

at 6 Baht per kilo and they will allow me to help myself to as many husks as I want.

• Like 1

Never seen copper tape, either here or in the west, although heard it talked about....

Makes me wonder if copper electrical wire would work ? .... might be worth trying some in a small circle and see if the slugs cross the line! (make sure there are some slugs within!! wink.pngsmile.png )

If they don't cross, it might be worth getting more wire at the electrical store... thumbsup.gif

If you can find metaldehyde granules....that JBrain suggests (never seen that here either) ... But if you do find, place some kind of container over it, with entrance holes.... it will last longer that way!... if I remember in the west it is mixed with Bran, which attracts the little (or big here!) buggers! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Deadmeal? Sounds like the last meal before execution, which it actually should be! smile.png Not sure what that metal dehydrate is, can it be used on a vegetable patch?

It is indeed the last meal for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaldehyde

Deadmeal is just one of the brands, think that ones from Bayer, but there are several others available. You just spread it on your lawn just early evening and the next morning you watch as every pellet will have a few dead snails attached to it.

The packages have usually a picture of snails on it. In Thai you say it's for Hoy and they will show you the product they have.

Every rainy season. these snails are all over the outside walls, up to 2" long, are they edible?

Only if you are French!!! biggrin.pngsick.gif

Actually a good question, sorry, could not resist making that remark.... wink.png Has anyone tried...? I am not volunteering! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Deadmeal? Sounds like the last meal before execution, which it actually should be! smile.png Not sure what that metal dehydrate is, can it be used on a vegetable patch?

It is indeed the last meal for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaldehyde

Deadmeal is just one of the brands, think that ones from Bayer, but there are several others available. You just spread it on your lawn just early evening and the next morning you watch as every pellet will have a few dead snails attached to it.

The packages have usually a picture of snails on it. In Thai you say it's for Hoy and they will show you the product they have.

In that Wiki link it says this.... which would be a concern to blanket spreading if there are dogs or cats in the neighbour hood...

Quote" Metaldehyde-containing slug baits should be used with caution as they are toxic to dogs and cats.[2]

If ingested by dogs or cats tremors, drooling, and restlessness will

proceed to seizures and death within hours to days if treatment is not

started quickly. Due to this toxicity, pet owners may want to

investigate non pet toxic alternatives.["

Every rainy season. these snails are all over the outside walls, up to 2" long, are they edible?

Only if you are French!!! biggrin.pngsick.gif

Actually a good question, sorry, could not resist making that remark.... wink.png Has anyone tried...? I am not volunteering! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I ate l'escargot before. All you could taste was the garlic butter source.

Lime works, but it had been tough to use once the rainy season started. Something HAD to be done because our gardens share a wall with a neighbor who had little concern for the snails and slugs procreating there in abundance. What my wife came up with was the idea of a trough of lime that had a roof to prevent rain washing it away. It works - so much so that the neighbor is finally killing snails - just to keep them out of her kitchen

post-68308-0-67920100-1369540669_thumb.j shows with the "roof" open and post-68308-0-47376200-1369540644_thumb.j shows it being tied in place over the lime.