Birth Certificate

LuckyLew

Our Daughter was born this morning and we were asked by hospital staff what kind of birth certificate we want. We both had no clue their was more than one type.

Type one- The birth cert. and to have it registered at the Ministry of foreign affairs - 1900 THB

Type Two- Just the birth certificate - 700 THB

Since this is both our first child we have no clue.

Thai GF is Thai only

I am Canadian and British citizen.

The cost is not the issue

Is there any benefit to having the birth certificate registered at Ministry of foreign affairs?

If we do not register the birth what are possible draw backs own the road?

Also:

Should I notify both Canadian and British Embassies of our babies birth? will doing this make it easier for her to get a Canadian and British passport?

Thanks

LL

First of all, nice to hear about your newborn !! Congrats !!

If you want to register your baby's birth at your embassy, you need a document which has been legalized at the Thai Min. of Foreign Affairs.

So I would go for option A.

And my guess the MFA is not about registering but just legalizing the document (but I could be wrong)

Edit: // SpElLiNg

Edited by MJCM

Congratulations.

The hospital is only offering one birth certificate, but the first option includes that they legalize the document for you if you want to use it for registering the birth at the Canadian and British embassy. legalization means that it gets certified by the Thai foreign ministry as a real document from the Thai government.

You can do it yourself and save money. Birth certificate should be free or maybe something like 20 baht and legalization costs 400 baht plus another 300 to 400 baht for the translation.

Regarding registering the birth with the embassies and getting their passport, look at the embassy websites. They have a lot of info you need.

As you are not married to the mother, the child is as far as Thai law is concerned not yours until you petition the court to become the legal father. Right now as far as the law is concerned the child has a mother, but not a father.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations. Registering the birth doesn't make it any easier to get a passport. I too am British/Canadian and all I needed for my sons British passport was the translation of birth certificate, my birth certificate and passport. The Canadian passport was the same including proof of citizenship for myself. I think the cost of registering the birth at the British Embassy is close to 160 quid, not sure about the Canadian embassy.