Lonely Planet Thailand Claims Jomtien Is Two Decades Away From Being Retro

Jingthing

According to Lonely Planet backpackers traveler guide to Thailand, Jomtien is:
-- more family friendly than Pattaya (yes we knew that)
-- two decades away from being retro (OK, I know what retro means but I'm not really clear on exactly what they mean in this context)
-- is currently "dated" with lots of mediocre tour group hotels and restaurants (I'd have to agree and I understand that)
My question is more about the language used. If Jomtien is already "dated" in other words not really a resort of the trendy moment, why isn't it ALREADY retro? Dp they just mean MUCH MORE dated? Maybe "retro" would be an improvement? In some contexts, RETRO is highly valued and sought after. Its hard to believe they mean that though.

For anyone that understands their use of RETRO better than me, can you specify some other beach resort cities in the world that are already RETRO, so that we can have some idea of what Jomtien is destined to become, according to LP?
LP also suggests that Naklua might be a better fit than Pattaya OR Jomtien for the kind of travelers they cater to. That makes sense to me.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

"lots of mediocre tour group hotels and restaurants" which are probably still too expensive for their readers as they are a "backpackers traveler guide" ... unless they serve backpackers in 5*hotels

I don't get your point. As Thailand savvy people know a good and cheap street stall will often have much better food than an overpriced tourist restaurant serving dumbed down food to dumbed down people. All not many 5 star hotels in Jomtien, I reckon!

Edited by Jingthing

Who cares about Jomtien being 20 years before being "retro" -- in 20 years that will be outdated. Also, who cares???? pattaya and Jomtien are big dumps duw to poor city planning or no enforcement of building codes. I have given up on thinking of Pattaya or Jomtien looking like the artists drawings that one sees of condos...manicured city streets, no drooping, tangled utility wires, wide uncluttered sidewalks, tree lined boulevards, turquoise sea with beaches looking like the ones in "civilized" countries. With pay offs and the behavior of the Wild Wild West, it will always be an armpit - but that is what makes it special.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 2

20-30 years ago they used to say that Miami Beach was retro.

Yeah, in that context retro is a very positive thing. Art Deco architecture and all that. Maybe that's really what they meant. In which case, Jomtien's future looks bright.

20-30 years ago they used to say that Miami Beach was retro. Somehow I don't think Jomtien measures up!

Yes, South Beach in Miami was the first thing I thought about when they said "Retro".

Maybe Venice Beach in the LA area, used to be Retro back in the day.

Huntington Beach used to be Retro with all the surfers also back in the day.

Jomtien, I have my doubts it was ever "Retro". maybe.

coffee1.gif

I think, this means that it's more down to earth and not so much into fashionable nonsense such as "vintage chic" that doesn't add any real value. In other words, the stuff that is there now in Jomtien you will see in twenty years time in Pattaya as reinvented pastiche. This is how I read this, but I have never been to Jomtien.

Edited by Morakot

It was never any secret that Lonely Planet never liked Pattaya. So now it seems they can't even articulate why.

The book has fallen into irrelevance with the internet anyways.

Yes I know they've never liked Pattaya and given their market, that's understandable. But I still found the comment interesting.

Edited by Jingthing

It was never any secret that Lonely Planet never liked Pattaya. So now it seems they can't even articulate why.

The book has fallen into irrelevance with the internet anyways.

Yes I know they've never liked Pattaya and given their market, that's understandable. But I still found the comment interesting.
Well LP still has to reach the wildness of the year 68 and the seventies - I find it funny one would take their comments about something being "dated" seriously when they lag about 60 years behind. Edited by manarak

I actually think their characterization of Jomtien was spot on. But on the retro thing if they think it's going to become retro in a desirable way that Miami became retro I have strong doubts. Miami had fantastic Art Deco architecture. Jomtien has nothing like that.

As long as we're on the subject of the future of Jomtien, what are some other predictions about that?

From where we sit today, it would be easy to say: EVEN MORE RUSSIAN but that's too easy, isn't it?

Edited by Jingthing

I actually think their characterization of Jomtien was spot on. But on the retro thing if they think it's going to become retro in a desirable way that Miami became retro I have strong doubts. Miami had fantastic Art Deco architecture. Jomtien has nothing like that.

As long as we're on the subject of the future of Jomtien, what are some other predictions about that?

From where we sit today, it would be easy to say: EVEN MORE RUSSIAN but that's too easy, isn't it?

That's not really difficult to tell, the future is so obvious it's not even fun to speculate about it.

The whole area between the Hanuman statue and the Marina will develop with hotels and condos, Jomtien second road being the backbone of the development.

The nationality of the occupants is not really relevant.

The price of land in the area is already obscenely high (>50 million per Rai).

One thing that is maybe unexpected, is that this development will take more time than expected.

Edited by manarak

In 20 years, you won't even be able to see Jomtien.

With all the garbage that gets dumped on every side street or vacant lot it will be burried under 20 meters of trash.

Why do people treat this coastal resort as a landfill I wonder?

Pattaya and Jomtien = Lloret de Mar meets open-air brothel.

white trash, sextourists, beer bellies, ... the only retro thing are the occasional white sox in sandals.

What a dump!

Edited by stickylies

I saw a lot of openly gay western men with Thai boyfriends in Jomtiem. I also saw Thai Ladyboys jogging along the pristene beaches there. And further to that I was accosted by a bunch of Thai gay males sporting cowboy hats out the front of a bar there. It sort of reminded me of Oxford St Sydney. Its not really my scene and I haven't been back. Has it changed?

No one can quite figure out what was meant by "retro", probably because writer didn't know either. As far as mediocre goes, last time I looked it meant "average". I have lived in Jomtien many years now. It is no gold coast, but easy to get around, not too noisey except when guys park boom boom trucks on beach road and show how much they wasted on stereo. And the cops (of course) bow to umbrella mafia and removed 90% of free benches and cut shade trees. But this is Thailand. Oh, and I have NEVER gone for a swim in the waters. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid!

I think the retro comment may have been meant in an ironic/humourous way. I have no idea what it means but that might be the point.

Joe Cummings, who I believe still writes the LP Thailand guide, has been doing so since the mid-eighties when Thailand was a very different place. I used his first guide back then when I first came to Thailand. It was very useful then, but I agree that in these days of tourism overkill, it has almost become part of the problem.

You're right . "Two decades away from being retro" is meaningless. It's the kind of phrase you get from someone who is overstretching his understanding of English. In this case the writer probably thought 'retro' meant 'cool'.

its becoming RUSSIAN

most of the signs and sounds in the street are Russian

the streets are clogged with traffic

the beach road is clogged

the beaches are for the dogs

town planning doesnt exist where as you have a church next to a bar

lots of theme condos - ie the seven seas

massive wall to wall condo blocks further adding to congestion and pollution

good luck

I would guess that the South Beach (Miami) connection is correct.

The thought being that Jomtien is in the stage that South Beach found itself 20-30 years ago...dated and irrelavent. As it was a desirable location, it only made sense that it would rise again. The current South Beach style celebrates the retro architecture, etc. in its new rebirth. Perhaps this is the backhanded compliment provided.

Other examples may be Las Vegas or Greenwich Village and Chelsea (NYC). They have risen anew to be celebrations of their former glory.

A hopeful prediction, and possibly accurate, in my opinion.