Future "compatibility" Between Cloud Storage Sites..?

isawasnake

I am currently putting a lot of my stuff in cloud storage, and I wondered what you guys more in the know think about how you are going to be able to transfer files from one service to the another in the future. Transferring meaning copying from one service to another, and not having to re-upload. I already see this trend starting of course, between some of the more popular storage sites (eg I think I saw a dropbox to flickr transfer function). Do you all think there will be a more "universal" cloud in the future? Or, could it get harder too, because competition would not want their clients moving files to other sites?

Edited by isawasnake

Why would you open things up so people can easily discard your service?

I am not sure I understand?

Anyway, my question is just about if people think you are going to be able to simply copy a file from say drop box to google drive one day. In fact, I would think this ability would be a great marketing tool for them to get clients. So, teaming up like this may be a sort of natural thing to happen, or perhaps not? That was my question whistling.gif

Anyway, my question is just about if people think you are going to be able to simply copy a file from say drop box to google drive one day. In fact, I would think this ability would be a great marketing tool for them to get clients. So, teaming up like this may be a sort of natural thing to happen, or perhaps not? That was my question Posted Image

I've installed the apps for Skydrive app and Google Drive on my PC and can drag and drop standard files from one to the other. Couldn't get a doc made on web Word into Google nor a Google gdoc onto Skydrive. Haven't tried hard though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Anyway, my question is just about if people think you are going to be able to simply copy a file from say drop box to google drive one day. In fact, I would think this ability would be a great marketing tool for them to get clients. So, teaming up like this may be a sort of natural thing to happen, or perhaps not? That was my question whistling.gif

I've installed the apps for Skydrive app and Google Drive on my PC and can drag and drop standard files from one to the other. Couldn't get a doc made on web Word into Google nor a Google gdoc onto Skydrive. Haven't tried hard though.

Question if you drag and drop between SkyDrive and Google Drive, how do you do this.

My guess is that if you do that the doc comes from SkyDrive into your PC and then gets uploaded from your PC to Google Drive ? Am I correct.?

I think the OP wants to know if you can directly (in the future ??) move or copy data from the one to the other without using a PC (without installed apps) as intermediate.

But I could be wrong.

wai.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Question if you drag and drop between SkyDrive and Google Drive, how do you do this.

My guess is that if you do that the doc comes from SkyDrive into your PC and then gets uploaded from your PC to Google Drive ? Am I correct.?

I think the OP wants to know if you can directly (in the future ??) move or copy data from the one to the other without using a PC (without installed apps) as intermediate.

But I could be wrong.

wai.gif

That is in fact my question. Is this currently not available between any two providers?? Maybe I misunderstood the example I posted about flickr and dropbox, which I haven't tried yet, just saw its availability. In any case, it seems as though this could be a natural progression for two big providers (say dropbox and ggogle drive) to team up and try to outdo all or most of the competition.

Edited by isawasnake

Are those actually going server to server? Perhaps sever to intermediary to server (yet never going back to your pc)?

On the MyBackupBox.com it says

Never install a thing!

No plugin, scripts, or any nonsense to worry about. Manage everything from our awesome web interface.

Automate and schedule

Easily create schedules to handle transfers when you're not around.

So my guess the Box thing doesn't need your PC as intermediate.

Also the other seem to do it like that (except wappwolf seems one way only Dropbox -> Flickr)

Polling Period

Personal Recipes check for new Trigger data every 15 minutes.

Some Recipes have “Quick Triggers” that will run as soon as they receive

Trigger data. Quick Triggers can be identified by a lightning bolt icon

().

https://ifttt.com/<deleted>

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

Google Drive for PC creates a folder on your hard drive and anything you sync is downloaded as physical file for non-Google apps and even Google documents if you set up off line. Drag them from the folder on your machine into/out of the Skydrive app. Of course a physical gdoc is useless in the Web Word environment.

If I could tell you what will happen, I could become a very rich and powerful person. Google for the websites devoted to such things and see if someone is working on it. If not, suggest it. You might patent the idea, if noone has yet, before you ask.

Edited by asupeartea

Anyway, my question is just about if people think you are going to be able to simply copy a file from say drop box to google drive one day. In fact, I would think this ability would be a great marketing tool for them to get clients. So, teaming up like this may be a sort of natural thing to happen, or perhaps not? That was my question Posted Image

But I could be wrong.

Posted Image

That is in fact my question. Is this currently not available between any two providers?? Maybe I misunderstood the example I posted about flickr and dropbox, which I haven't tried yet, just saw its availability. In any case, it seems as though this could be a natural progression for two big providers (say dropbox and ggogle drive) to team up and try to outdo all or most of the competition. 

Agreed. Just keep an eye open and let us know what you learned, please.

• 2 weeks later...

Just used Skydrive, Google Drive and Drop box on my Android 4.2.2 Nexus 7 and could export/share from one to all the others. Just have the apps on my machine and they figure each other out. Love it when stuff just works as advertised.

Edited by asupeartea
  • Like 1

I guess my op is moot. It does sound like it is getting better, and I hope it improves further. It will be nice if one day once you get a file on the cloud, you're done, and that file can be almost instantaneously transferred to another cloud option, as we are already seeing.