Prosecutors to decide on Bangkok BTS Skytrain case

webfact

Prosecutors to decide on BTS case
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public prosecutors will decide soon on whether to pursue charges against 10 suspects including a legal entity over their role in extending the BTSC contract to run the original Skytrain network by 13 years.

BTSC operates the Bangkok Mass Transit System. Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra is among the suspects.

Winai Damrongmongkhonkul, chief prosecutor for special cases, said yesterday all suspects would be summoned to hear the prosecutor's decision on June 28. "We will look into all evidence submitted by the Department of Special Investigation [DSI] as well as the letter asking for justice from the accused," he said.

DSI has submitted 5,874 pages of evidence to public prosecutors and recommended the prosecution of Sukhumbhand and several senior executives of the Bangkok Metro-politan Administration (BMA) and its legal-investment arm, Krungthep Thanakom, as well as Krungthep Thanakom itself.

DSI launched a probe into the BMA's move to sign contracts with the BTSC, operator of the Skytrain, in response to a complaint from Pheu Thai MP Jirayu Huangsap.

After examining evidence, the DSI said BMA executives and Krungthep Thanakom had no authority to sign contracts with BTSC in a way that extends the latter's right to operate the original system for 13 more years. The DSI claims it violated the Criminal Code and a coup order.

Sukhumbhand said he had already submitted a letter asking for justice. "The DSI has ignored many pieces of evidence and reasons pointed out by the BMA during its probe."

The alleged wrongdoing related to the BTSC contract took place during Sukhumbhand's first term as Bangkok governor. He was re-elected to the post in March.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-12

Here's my take on the BTS:

The BTS service has declined in quality rapidly:

1. it hobbles a lot, when it stops at any station. The breaks have become jerky

2. when you depart from Bearing, you hear and feel a clearly loud bump, as if the track has a missing piece somewhere...

3. When you go TOWARDS the MOCHIT, Before you reach Onnut you have a temporary blackout every time as if there is an area with adequate electricity missing...

4. It's a complete bull rap, that buyers of 30-50 trip discount pass on their rabbit pass, have to deposit EXTRA money on it, if they either go FROM OR TO the New Sukhumvit line stations.

BTS has become unsafer for almost a year now with the trains hobbling whenever they stop, or BUMPING due to a missing area in the railroad track... The maintenance therefore has been treated with disrespect, and BTS commuters have to pay higher fees, for lower service quality...

Btw who is frustrated to cram into 2 Baht coins, especially if you are in a hurry...

Anybody else experiencing these problems???

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

2. when you depart from Bearing, you hear and feel a clearly loud bump, as if the track has a missing piece somewhere...

3. When you go TOWARDS the MOCHIT, Before you reach Onnut you have a temporary blackout every time as if there is an area with adequate electricity missing...

4. It's a complete bull rap, that buyers of 30-50 trip discount pass on their rabbit pass, have to deposit EXTRA money on it, if they either go FROM OR TO the New Sukhumvit line stations.

BTS has become unsafer for almost a year now with the trains hobbling whenever they stop, or BUMPING due to a missing area in the railroad track... The maintenance therefore has been treated with disrespect, and BTS commuters have to pay higher fees, for lower service quality...

Btw who is frustrated to cram into 2 Baht coins, especially if you are in a hurry...

The electricity and extra fare issue is because the extension is operated separately.

If you're worried about being in a hurry, get a rabbit value card. No waiting to get change, no waiting to get tickets.

Maybe they should have increased the fares by the full 5 baht just so people didn't need to worry about 1 and 2 baht coins. I don't know how users of the MRT have managed all these years.

The electricity and extra fare issue is because the extension is operated separately.

If you're worried about being in a hurry, get a rabbit value card. No waiting to get change, no waiting to get tickets.

Maybe they should have increased the fares by the full 5 baht just so people didn't need to worry about 1 and 2 baht coins. I don't know how users of the MRT have managed all these years.

Can you explain me more about the rabbit value card... Is this another different version of the rabbit pass?

The service is terrible. I used it over the weekend and the machine gave me a printout ( could not give me the correct change- owe 4 Baht) So to get 4 Baht back I need to go stand in line for 20 minutes? On my way back I needed change. No lines at the counter so I asked them for the 4 Baht. They had no knowledge about the machine printing receipt due to incorrect change. Then after phone calls they told me I need to go back to the station where it was issued...what a joke. Judging by all the paper receipt around the machine... they are making lots of extra money now...

• Like 2

The service is terrible. I used it over the weekend and the machine gave me a printout ( could not give me the correct change- owe 4 Baht) So to get 4 Baht back I need to go stand in line for 20 minutes? On my way back I needed change. No lines at the counter so I asked them for the 4 Baht. They had no knowledge about the machine printing receipt due to incorrect change. Then after phone calls they told me I need to go back to the station where it was issued...what a joke. Judging by all the paper receipt around the machine... they are making lots of extra money now...

Seems like a lot of fuss for 4 baht!

I use the BTS every day and while it can get crowded at rush hour and at the weeknd when there is a reduced service, I find it very efficient and professionally run.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

BTS-Broken Train System. I used to sing BTS' praises, but since the extension to Bearing in 2011, it's all gone down hell. Plus the level of incompetency has increased 5 fold.

Examples:

BTS is running a 6 car train between just 2 stations, Wangwan Yai and Talut Phlu. Why isn't it running on the Silom or Sukhumvit lines? I asked the supervisor at Wangwan Yai, he replied he did not know.

What have noticed is that the platforms at those stations are LONGER than the platforms on the Silom & Sukhumvit lines. Great foresight and planning BTS. Therefore, only 4-5 car trains can be accommodated.

Having to build extra lifts and staircases, due to the influx of extra passengers.

Not having total handicapped access at all stations.

Problems with the cars not braking properly ( operator error ?) slipping on wet tracks, antiquated ticket-card booths, turnstiles that open for .50 seconds then close on your hips, thighs, groin (depending on your height)

constant delays between tracks due to Management's + operators disorganized method of 'timing' the trains for morning and evening rush hours.

BTS NOT using their extensive PA-TV systems to EDUCATE passengers on how to use the system. Don't pole hug, get the hell out of the way for boarding and disembarking passengers. How about telling your lazy ass passengers to STAND ON THE RIGHT-WALK ON THE LEFT!!!! when using the escalators. A common time saving practice at other commuter train systems outside Thailand.

Not to mention the annoying whistle abusing power hungry Security guards. Listen, I can see where I'm standing,

(common sense) there is no reason to blow a damn whistle at me.

And the beat goes on.....

Happens when the train changes tracks, it also happens approaching Saphan Taksin from Surasak as the double line becomes a single.

No solution other than overhead wires.

Happens when the train changes tracks, it also happens approaching Saphan Taksin from Surasak as the double line becomes a single.

No solution other than overhead wires.

You are off track here (sorry, bad pun). The DC overhead wires are sectioned for very good reasons, and continuous supply is not necessary because the train has enough momentum to carry it from section to section. The internal blackout could be easily remedied by fitting a few batteries, at the cost of dragging extra weight around all day to overcome a minor discomfort for passengers who don't run high on the priorities anyway.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

I find the BTS fares way too high for the thai salary. Many many people take the bus for 2 hours, instead of the BTS for 20 minutes because they cannot afford the BTS.

That's the reality of transportation here... The fares should be cut to half, and trains doubled. They would still make profits.

It seems the money from BTS is making some people very rich, and still sucking the money from the poor.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the ludicrous situation at the Saphan Taksin and Krungthonburi stations. EVERY time before and after BTS crosses the Chayo praya River from either direction, the trains are forced to stop because there are not enough tracks to accommodate 2 trains! Plus entering from Krungthongburi side to Saphan Taksin, there is only 1 track.

Also, why was the Saphan Taksin station built with only 1 platform instead of 2? Does anyone, a civil Engineer perhaps,be able to shed some light on why 2 trains cant cross the bridge at the same time?

I forgot to mention the ludicrous situation at the Saphan Taksin and Krungthonburi stations. EVERY time before and after BTS crosses the Chayo praya River from either direction, the trains are forced to stop because there are not enough tracks to accommodate 2 trains! Plus entering from Krungthongburi side to Saphan Taksin, there is only 1 track.

Also, why was the Saphan Taksin station built with only 1 platform instead of 2? Does anyone, a civil Engineer perhaps,be able to shed some light on why 2 trains cant cross the bridge at the same time?

Saphan Thaksin was built as a temporary station. It is "going to be" demolished. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637985-bangkok-administration-to-demolish-saphan-taksin-station-put-in-moving-walkways/

You will recall in 2003/4 TRT tried to 'nationalise' the BTS (meaning switch it from being an asset of an operating company linked to the BMA to belonging the Shinawatras if I recall correctly it was the Thai Summit family who were going to front it).

The claim was somehow that fees were too high, and it was obvious it was likely going to be the tax payer who bailed out the BTS, and then operating profits through a completely different structure with huge government subsidies would then flow to a TRT affiliated shareholding structure.

At the same time, the contracts for the MRT advertising and specs were being fiddled (including last minute attempts to fiddle the type of train used, reneging on advertising concessions etc) - once the smoke cleared, they were unable to secure the BTS from BMA's grasp, but they did manage to get HowCome Entertainment (from memory), belonging to Pantongtae Shinwatra somehow to own the concession for in train and in station advertising even though the contract had already been signed and sealed with Triad (IIRC connected to Ch. K. Chang which is a Democrat leaning construction contractor; ItalThai and various others are TRT/PPP/PT leaning hence why they got all the airport and now the flood type contracts). And now a few years on, we see Voice TV also has the concession for 'news' on the trains in both BTS and MRT (and by news I mean running loud and obnoxious advertising non stop). Which of course we now belongs also to the Shinawatra family, Pantongtae from memory is the front 'man'. And by 'man' I mean well, he is in front. As opposed to be in the back, which might be more appropriate given his leanings in the past and how many times he used the backdoor to secure entrepreneurial opportunities, I suppose if he ever runs out of opportunities via politics he can always go back to his vast talent as a photographer. Or a law student :-).

This is now pay back time, and what a time to come, really the poor old public we are so stupid obviously we should grant amnesty to Thaksin because it seems like only he is a clean politician laugh.png .

I don't doubt there is skim or discrepancies somewhere in the paperwork, if you look hard enough you can find anything on anyone. Just like the firetrucks, like the airport, like etc etc (insert name of any infrastructure project here). Deputy Governor "Long Bee" as I recall is a red family, but he himself was a Democrat, no doubt people like him are a conduit of information (if he was persuaded to switch allegiances) to the other side. Skim is a mostly open secret, because the person who rats on the skim....misses out when he/she is in power to enjoy the 'fruits of skimmed milk' when their turn comes around.

Given how hard TRT tried to get control of the BTS, one can only assume the skim is actually quite a nice little parcel of money, for the right monopolist. After all, it's not like most of these business people have ever actually worked in the private sector unless the private sector was either a monopoly or tilted severely in their favour.

SteverOmagnino your article seems a tempting morsal of what it implies you know or understand of BRT, and TRT malfeasance. If you could document these examples of the corupt behaviour of the Shinawata's with details (evidence)you would do Thailand a great service.

Meawhile many of us simpathise with the Shinawatra family in recognition of the apaling treatment they have faced at the hand of coups makers and the Justice (sic) system, the Abhisit mob and other law breakers.

We humble onlookers tend to believe that the majority of all Thai corruption by value is and was at the hands of the Abhisit Mob like the former governor and now present govenor of Bangkok. These radical right winger's have been responsible for many infrastucture and comodity systems in Thailand that have been systemically blighted by the 30% draw down from Projects like BRT, BKK FlOOD defence grant from the PTP government, Abhisit's Rice disounting project,cassava, sugar, palm oil, and rubber markets plus many other examples of fraud and extortion.

We tend to belive that it has always been high-so and neo convervation wing that sometimes call themslves Royalists that are feeding at the trough of the state and therefore responsible for the grinding poverty of millions of Thai people.

Edited by indyuk
  • Like 1

You will recall in 2003/4 TRT tried to 'nationalise' the BTS (meaning switch it from being an asset of an operating company linked to the BMA to belonging the Shinawatras if I recall correctly it was the Thai Summit family who were going to front it).

The claim was somehow that fees were too high, and it was obvious it was likely going to be the tax payer who bailed out the BTS, and then operating profits through a completely different structure with huge government subsidies would then flow to a TRT affiliated shareholding structure.

At the same time, the contracts for the MRT advertising and specs were being fiddled (including last minute attempts to fiddle the type of train used, reneging on advertising concessions etc) - once the smoke cleared, they were unable to secure the BTS from BMA's grasp, but they did manage to get HowCome Entertainment (from memory), belonging to Pantongtae Shinwatra somehow to own the concession for in train and in station advertising even though the contract had already been signed and sealed with Triad (IIRC connected to Ch. K. Chang which is a Democrat leaning construction contractor; ItalThai and various others are TRT/PPP/PT leaning hence why they got all the airport and now the flood type contracts). And now a few years on, we see Voice TV also has the concession for 'news' on the trains in both BTS and MRT (and by news I mean running loud and obnoxious advertising non stop). Which of course we now belongs also to the Shinawatra family, Pantongtae from memory is the front 'man'. And by 'man' I mean well, he is in front. As opposed to be in the back, which might be more appropriate given his leanings in the past and how many times he used the backdoor to secure entrepreneurial opportunities, I suppose if he ever runs out of opportunities via politics he can always go back to his vast talent as a photographer. Or a law student :-).

This is now pay back time, and what a time to come, really the poor old public we are so stupid obviously we should grant amnesty to Thaksin because it seems like only he is a clean politician laugh.png .

I don't doubt there is skim or discrepancies somewhere in the paperwork, if you look hard enough you can find anything on anyone. Just like the firetrucks, like the airport, like etc etc (insert name of any infrastructure project here). Deputy Governor "Long Bee" as I recall is a red family, but he himself was a Democrat, no doubt people like him are a conduit of information (if he was persuaded to switch allegiances) to the other side. Skim is a mostly open secret, because the person who rats on the skim....misses out when he/she is in power to enjoy the 'fruits of skimmed milk' when their turn comes around.

Given how hard TRT tried to get control of the BTS, one can only assume the skim is actually quite a nice little parcel of money, for the right monopolist. After all, it's not like most of these business people have ever actually worked in the private sector unless the private sector was either a monopoly or tilted severely in their favour.

SteverOmagnino at article seems a tempting morsal of what it implies you know or understand of BRT, and TRT malfeasance.If you could document these examples of the corupt behaviour of the Shinawata's with details (evidence)you would do Thailand a great service.

Meawhile many of us simpathise with the Shinawatra family in recognition of the apaling treatment they have faced at the hand of coups makers and the Justice (sic) system, the Abhisit mob and other law breakers.

We humble onlookers tend to believe that the majority of all Thai corruption by value is at the hands of the Abhisit Mob like the former governor and now present govenor of Bangkok. Several infrastucture and all comodity systems in Thailand have been systemically blighted by the 30% draw down from Projects like BRT, BKK FlOOD defence grant from the PTP gvernment, Abhisit's Rice disounting project,assava and all similar examples of fraud and extortion.

We tend to belive that it has always been high-so and neo convervation wing that sometimes call themslves Royalists that are feeding at the trough of the state and therefore responsible for the the grinding poverty of millions of Thai people.

I'm sure you "simpathise" with the Shinawatra family.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/simp

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/simp

SteverOmagnino your article seems a tempting morsal of what it implies you know or understand of BRT, and TRT malfeasance. If you could document these examples of the corupt behaviour of the Shinawata's with details (evidence)you would do Thailand a great service.

We humble onlookers tend to believe that the majority of all Thai corruption by value is and was at the hands of the Abhisit Mob like the former governor and now present govenor of Bangkok. These radical right winger's have been responsible for many infrastucture and comodity systems in Thailand that have been systemically blighted by the 30% draw down from Projects like BRT, BKK FlOOD defence grant from the PTP government, Abhisit's Rice disounting project,cassava, sugar, palm oil, and rubber markets plus many other examples of fraud and extortion.

We tend to belive that it has always been high-so and neo convervation wing that sometimes call themslves Royalists that are feeding at the trough of the state and therefore responsible for the grinding poverty of millions of Thai people.

IndyUK,

You sound like a little child who has just been told that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy aren't real, and that storks don't really deliver new born babies down chimney's for their new mum's and dad's.

• Like 1

IndyUK,

You sound like a little child who has just been told that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy aren't real, and that storks don't really deliver new born babies down chimney's for their new mum's and dad's.

IndyUK,

You sound like a little child who has just been told that Santa, the Easter Bunny aYour hyperchloristic mind set nd the tooth fairy aren't real, and that storks don't really deliver new born babies down chimney's for their new mum's and dad's.

Your your insult is tipical of the hyperchloristic mindset used to defend the one way street of your thoughts. Maybe be you're Abhisit's clone.

IndyUK,

IndyUK,

You sound like a little child who has just been told that Santa, the Easter Bunny aYour hyperchloristic mind set nd the tooth fairy aren't real, and that storks don't really deliver new born babies down chimney's for their new mum's and dad's.

Your your insult is tipical of the hyperchloristic mindset used to defend the one way street of your thoughts. Maybe be you're Abhisit's clone.

Hyperchloristic is big word for someone like you...

Better red than dead then eh?

Dude! Seriously? You wasted that much of your valuable life on 4 Baht? You are now, officially, King Cheap Charlie.

Would you care to comment on the 'facts' you asked for, as I did this in order to clearly demonstrate this is not something that the average person doesn't have access to, it is a series of fairly simple facts detailed clearly in the media, which show that the reason why the Shinawatras tripled their wealth as PM Thaksin ran the country tilted the playing field for his own personal gains, are a matter of public record, and not some 'inner workings'.

If only most of the media in Thailand weren't under the control of TRT during that period, then we would see even more corruption. Airport cracks and so forth, you know the stories.

• Like 1

BTS NOT using their extensive PA-TV systems to EDUCATE passengers on how to use the system. Don't pole hug, get the hell out of the way for boarding and disembarking passengers. How about telling your lazy ass passengers to STAND ON THE RIGHT-WALK ON THE LEFT!!!! when using the escalators. A common time saving practice at other commuter train systems outside Thailand.

Not to mention the annoying whistle abusing power hungry Security guards. Listen, I can see where I'm standing,

(common sense) there is no reason to blow a dam_n whistle at me.

And the beat goes on.....

Don't you listen to the announcement made on the train after each station? It's even in English as well as Thai.

I find the BTS fares way too high for the thai salary. Many many people take the bus for 2 hours, instead of the BTS for 20 minutes because they cannot afford the BTS.

That's the reality of transportation here... The fares should be cut to half, and trains doubled. They would still make profits.

It seems the money from BTS is making some people very rich, and still sucking the money from the poor.

Do you use the BTS yourself? Every morning it's packed with Thai people commuting to work, just as in any major capital city.