counsellors in Chiang Mai

sleepingsheep

Hello

Does anybody know any counsellors or counselling farms in Chiang Mai? I am in need of support.

I am not Thai nor Farang, but talking with counsellor in english is fine. I am not a christian (I found some counselling farms but they are christians), I am not addicted to anything, just feeling difficulty of being myself sometimes, I guess not that bad as depression.

thanks!

Suan Prung hospital would be my first stop. They might have additional information for you.

Suanprung Psychiatric Hospital
131 CHANGLO ROAD, HAIYA,
MUANG DISTRICT,
CHIANGMAI, THAILAND 50100
Tel.(66-53) 908500
Fax : (66-53) 908595

If you need counselling for your problem, I would suggest that you do not send an email as you might not get a reply and be waiting a long time and something will certainly be lost in translation. I would call them, try to get someone on the line with a good command of English and tell them you need an initial consultation. Alternatively, why not just turn up one morning and talk to a few people there, you will eventually find someone who can help you.

Here's a post from Harry that might be of interest.

Posted 2012-06-26 11:12:09

If you go to SriPat you can get an appointment with Dr Jumlong who is the head of SuanPrung. He speaks English. A long appointment about 50 minutes cost a friend 500baht,
Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

If you need counselling for your problem, I would suggest that you do not send an email as you might not get a reply and be waiting a long time and something will certainly be lost in translation. I would call them, try to get someone on the line with a good command of English and tell them you need an initial consultation. Alternatively, why not just turn up one morning and talk to a few people there, you will eventually find someone who can help you.

Here's a post from Harry that might be of interest.

Posted 2012-06-26 11:12:09

If you go to SriPat you can get an appointment with Dr Jumlong who is the head of SuanPrung. He speaks English. A long appointment about 50 minutes cost a friend 500baht,

He could always just go to the hospital. It is located on the south side of the moat where the road t's to go to the airport mall or to continue around the Moat.

It is my understanding that they have two English speaking Doctors.

I have also heard there is a good one at Ram

Plus the one uptheos mentioned. There is enough of them around that you can shop around a little bit.

Edited by hellodolly

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun SleepingSheep,

I join with UpTheos in recommending Suan Prung, at least to start evaluating what you think, and feel, may be a problem.

Without more information about your age, health, relationships, recent life changes (positive and negative) and what/how you experience your life, now, I believe it's useless to speculate whether you need counselling (there are so many types of counselling and psychotherapy). But, of course, it's natural, and prudent, for you to not reveal too many personal details here, in these shark-filled waters.

Suan Prung is a Royally sponsored hospital.

Depending on who you see, you may, or may not, experience problems in communicating with the psychiatrist on duty. And, the intake staff may have more difficulty understanding you if you don't speak Thai.

And, do keep in mind, that most psychiatrists there, as you would expect in modern times, are oriented towards solutions by medication, not "evidence based" psychological interventions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_practice

involving cognitive therapies, substantial interaction of provider and client over time, systematic desensitization for phobias, training through role-playing and visualization to learn new behaviors to overcome character traits, like shyness.

good luck :)

~o:37;

Don't rule out the Christian counsellors, either. They counsel people of all religious faiths, or none. Just tell them up-front that you're not Christian and don't wish be become Christian and (if they're truly professional), they should respect your wishes.

I'm with Nancy on this one. I have a very good lady friend, who was just going around in circles. She eventually tried Cornerstone Counselling and saw a psychiatrist by the name of Bill Hoppe MD or something similar. She laid her cards on the table regarding her non religious views, was not counselled using a Christian model and he helped to get her thinking straightened out eventually. The sessions were strictly 50 minutes and if you are late, well too bad and from what I understand there was a lot covered, but it was not without a great deal of emotional turmoil. Overall, I understand that it was worthwhile for her, but like everything else it wasn't an overnight fix, it took a while. You can only drop so much baggage at one time. I also understand that they do not charge a fee but expect a donation and tell you up front that the 'average' donation per session is 1,000 Baht.

I'm not recommending Cornerstone because I only know of this one issue, but it's another option if you get desperate.

• Like 1

Thank you very much everybody.

I don´t really want to go for medication. I feel I need someone to talk to, who can guide me to go over the difficulty. So counseling would be better I thought. I feel I have to change the way to think, the way to behave. I was in a trouble with business 3 years ago, and it was a trigger. Since then I feel down. Also I feel I have to go back to my childhood to get over the problem. My childhood was not bad but since my little one was born, I keep thinking about how my parents treated me over and over, and most of the memories are negative, if I remember something positive, I still try to find negative memories. I have read several books about this kind of "difficulty of living", then I find many answers why I am like this, and how I should think. However I couldn't find "how I can get over it", so I am kind of lost. I am more like adult child than depression.

I would try Suan Prung sometime soon, but just worried about the medication, I feel changing my mood by using drugs doesn't solve the root of the problem.

While I suggested the OP doesn't rule out the Christian counselors, he shouldn't rule out seeing a MD psychiatrist at Suan Prung or CM Ram. I know someone who was a counselor (since retired) and she said she normally recommended a new patient visit a psychiatrist first to rule out any problems which need medication. She says she worked closely with the psychiatrist, in helping to fine-tune the meds or getting the client off meds totally, if appropriate. If talk therapy is all that's needed, a good psychiatrist should recommend counseling, but there is a tendency, here and in many western cultures, for doctors to hand out meds because they think it's expected, or they're influenced by the drug companies.

Dear Sleeping Sheep,

Life is not a bed of roses for everyone. I don't have fond memories of my childhood too, even till now. When God shuts a door He will always leave a window open (I'm not Christian).

When I'm down with negative thoughts, I'll think that there are many more who are worse than me. Be contented, I'll tell myself. If you keep on living in past painful memories, there won't be space for current and future happiness.

Enjoy and treasure what you have, live every day to the fullest so you'll not have regrets.

Cheer up ya! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recommend looking into Vipassana meditation. It actually does offer a "cure" though one is not encouraged to look on it as such; to not use it as medicine but as a way of accepting things as they are. In doing so, a lot of the reasons for feeling depressed evaporate. I am still just a beginner but their is a direct correlation between meditating and feeling better, a direct link. You will see tangible results if you put in the time though the time frame can be long. However, if you go on a 10 day retreat you will most likely experience some real benefit. These 10 days are not at all easy but they are effective. It is not just about relaxing; this form of meditation goes deeper than that and gets at the root of your problems. For more info, check it out on the internet if you are so inclined.

• 7 months later...

Hi Folks, Trying to organise some help for a friend. Found this thread and saw mention of a Dr Jumlong. The thread said he was at Sripat, but this other mention online suggests that he might have moved to Ram: http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Eng/PsychiatryEng%20.html. Can anyone confirm this and provide any more detail about the doc in question? (either via posting or pm)

I want to try to find the best available professional in order to maximise the chance that the fellow I'm trying to help (who is Thai btw) will see the value of therapy and stick with it.

Yes Suanprung offers counseling in English and Thai. Google Suanprung hospital Chiang Mai and you can get some email addresses and send them some emails.

Just walk in and look around you will find some one to direct you.

It is located on the outside of the moat on the South side of the moat on the South West corner of the moat. Just a short walk down from Siam electronics.

• 9 months later...

From the advice on this forum, I convinced a Thai friend to go to Suanprung. And I regret it completely.

As soon as we stepped through the front door, we were on some kind of strange conveyor belt through the stations. We never knew what was happening or how long it would take or anything. Just "move to the next station and wait". There's absolutely no personal help given, no private consultation. It feels cold and frightening to anyone who might be a bit fragile. She was asked the same questions by two different nurses, which took about two hours, and then started getting the exact same questions by the doctor. All of the questions were very personal, the handling impersonal, and in a PUBLIC and uncomfortable space. After a while, it felt almost involuntary, like a bad movie where they'd misdiagnose her and commit her against her will.

Of course, I knew that was just paranoia until they actually wouldn't let us leave! And it started to feel SCARY. We told the doctor at least ten times that she had to get back to work (true) and he refused us repeatedly from leaving. Not in a "this will take a minute" kind of way. He just ignored it and continued asking the questions on and on. We had to basically push our way out. It was so bizarre. Were they trying to help her? I don't get it. (She's THAI so it wasn't a communication problem.)

Probably it was just indelicate and callous handling of someone in a fragile state, but nevertheless, it wasn't anything like what we were looking for. I would never go back there. Obviously, others here in this forum had a much different, more positive experience. Just thought I'd share.

Good news, I play a counselor on TV. A few suggestions: Number 1, get outside at least a few hours a day, and hopefully much more. Number 2. Interact with people in person only. Number 3. If you can exercise, do it. Number 4. I'm 100 percent sure you are good at something, so keep doing it and keep telling yourself you are good at it. Medication works with certain ailments like lung issues, etc....however, for mental issues I would be more worried about taking it.

Isolation is the worst. As I never said, "An idle mind is the devil's playground."

and last thing.....laugh and shake your head every time you have negative thoughts. remind yourself that hundreds of millions have died in wars and famine, etc....and you are living a better life then they could.

god bless. oh, and if not religious, then good luck. if you don't believe in luck, then 'be well'. lol

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't rule out the Christian counsellors, either. They counsel people of all religious faiths, or none. Just tell them up-front that you're not Christian and don't wish be become Christian and (if they're truly professional), they should respect your wishes.

I'm with Nancy on this one. I have a very good lady friend, who was just going around in circles. She eventually tried Cornerstone Counselling and saw a psychiatrist by the name of Bill Hoppe MD or something similar. She laid her cards on the table regarding her non religious views, was not counselled using a Christian model and he helped to get her thinking straightened out eventually. The sessions were strictly 50 minutes and if you are late, well too bad and from what I understand there was a lot covered, but it was not without a great deal of emotional turmoil. Overall, I understand that it was worthwhile for her, but like everything else it wasn't an overnight fix, it took a while. You can only drop so much baggage at one time. I also understand that they do not charge a fee but expect a donation and tell you up front that the 'average' donation per session is 1,000 Baht.

I'm not recommending Cornerstone because I only know of this one issue, but it's another option if you get desperate.

Agree, however please do some checking that any 'doctors' you see are properly qualified.

I've taken an old farang friend to Suan Prung perhaps 10 times, most recent visit just a few months back. Our experience was:

1. - Best to go in the morning and be there before 08:00 am. At that time plenty of parking in the hospital grounds if needed.

2. - Staff at front door - very polite and caring but no English, but someone will quickly come and see your headed to the right desk.

3. - Basic examination - blood pressure, temp., weight etc., all done quickly and properly then these attendants take you to color codes waiting chairs.

4. - Senior nurses (male and female) do an initial discussion / screening to get some basic information. Most of these nurses are middle aged, experienced, most speak OK to good English, very caring, very pleasant. Now take you to sit in front of the psychiatrists room with an explanation of what's next etc.

5. - We saw the same doctor most times, pleasant guy, perhaps mid / late 30's seems well acquainted with the subject, not native speaker English but very good English, good listener, always explains why he's asking certain questions, etc. Each visit about 40 - 50 minutes. On the initial and further visits the doctor mentioned that there two routes; counseling and/or drugs and he said, you must make the choice and I'm happy to answer any questions you have towards your decision.

6 - Attendant now takes you back to see senior nurse mentioned in point 4 above. Nurse prepares any documents you might need for the doctor to sign, nurse prepares 'next visit slip' Thai and English, nurse takes you to cashier, talks to cashier to ensure everybody knows what's happening.

7. - Cashier prepares bill, you pay, next window you pick up any medicines. All done within say 10 minutes. Very minimal charges for consultation (300 Baht from memory), drug prices case by case.

8. - Senior nurse who has been taking care of you always seems to reappear at the right time and walks you to the front door, 'do you need a taxi' etc.

Pretty much every time we went there we were out of the building with 90 - 120 minutes or so.

I'll be honest the first time I took my old friend there I had the preconceived notion that it would be horrendous, total chaos, and more. I was wrong.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun SleepingSheep,

I join with UpTheos in recommending Suan Prung, at least to start evaluating what you think, and feel, may be a problem.

Without more information about your age, health, relationships, recent life changes (positive and negative) and what/how you experience your life, now, I believe it's useless to speculate whether you need counselling (there are so many types of counselling and psychotherapy). But, of course, it's natural, and prudent, for you to not reveal too many personal details here, in these shark-filled waters.

Suan Prung is a Royally sponsored hospital.

Depending on who you see, you may, or may not, experience problems in communicating with the psychiatrist on duty. And, the intake staff may have more difficulty understanding you if you don't speak Thai.

And, do keep in mind, that most psychiatrists there, as you would expect in modern times, are oriented towards solutions by medication, not "evidence based" psychological interventions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_practice

involving cognitive therapies, substantial interaction of provider and client over time, systematic desensitization for phobias, training through role-playing and visualization to learn new behaviors to overcome character traits, like shyness.

good luck smile.png

~o:37;

Yes, Suan Prung is a good choice, and probably some others--- for starters. That said, remember where you are. It might be a very different place with a different cultural heritage than yours. Behavioral and other problems are understandably quite often culturally-specific. Understandably, most Thai physicians would be grounded here.