40,000 Bangkokians infected with dengue, 1 dies

webfact

40,000 Bangkokians infected with dengue, 1 dies

BANGKOK, 25 June 2013 (NNT) – Over 40,000 people in Bangkok are now suffering from the deadly dengue virus, while 120,000 people nationwide have come down with the fever.

According to Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, this year's dengue situation is very severe given around 120,000 to 150,000 people have reportedly been infected with the virus, 50 of whom have already died. Meanwhile, 40,000 cases of dengue fever have been reported, with one fatality, in the capital city. The number of infections in Bangkok accounts for 10 percent of the infections nationwide.

The governor has instructed all related agencies to keep a close watch on the dengue situation and to step up prevention measures like cleaning all water containers and sewers in order to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds. The BMA has also ordered 200,000 of larvicidal abate sand in order to prevent an outbreak of dengue fever.

M.R. Sukhumbhand has also expressed his appreciation to the officials who have been working hard to solve the problem and to prevent the virus.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-25 footer_n.gif

Over 40,000 people in Bangkok are now suffering from the deadly dengue virus, while 120,000 people nationwide have come down with the fever.
The number of infections in Bangkok accounts for 10 percent of the infections nationwide.

Doesn't add up.

• Like 1

Dengue is endemic in Thailand. I've read that most Thais will get it at least once in their lifetime, and that's borne out by the people I've asked. Stay there long enough, and you're likely to get it too at some point...

The literature on this is much more tentative in its conclusions. The pubmed article you cited in prior post referred to a sample size of one patient!

this aside, all the literature on possible uses of Papaya leaf juice pertain to its possible role in boosting platlet counts. However the majority of dengue infections are "simple" dengue with no drop in platlets and no hemorrhagic complications. It would be misleading to imply that people with the simple form will get a quick "cure" from papaya leaf juice. If someone wants to take it either to help boost platlets or in the hopes of averting a drop in count, fine, but it is not going to make the fever and aches suddenly vanish. Only time will do that.

Asians are much more prone to the hemorrhagic form than westerners, it is not totally clear why but may be due to an autoimmune response in people who already had one or more simple dengue infections in childhood, which virtually all SE Asians have.

Personally got it 3 times in the 20+ years I've lived here. "Simple" form each time. Definitely not fun, though.

Dengue is endemic in Thailand. I've read that most Thais will get it at least once in their lifetime, and that's borne out by the people I've asked. Stay there long enough, and you're likely to get it too at some point...

Did ya have to study to ascertain that bit of information?

Personally got it 3 times in the 20+ years I've lived here. "Simple" form each time. Definitely not fun, though.

How long did it take for this nonsense to completely go away in your case? For me, it has been a week. While I feel better a lot of the time, it comes back and hits me like a truck out of nowhere. Misery ....

another victim here, as a welcome treat years ago.

it hide in my body for 6 weeks without symptom, while I travelled out of Thailand and back to home country. it hit me when I back to Thailand. lucky me . . . I could be in an isolation ward and on news headline in the home country, and medical service certainly not familiar with the treatment for dengue infection.

yet, Thai see mosquito and they won't kill it; yeah understand it is about religious sin but this little thing will threaten their life.

in this rainy season, it is a high risk. good luck !

yet, Thai see mosquito and they won't kill it; yeah understand it is about religious sin but this little thing will threaten their life.

You're kidding right? They sell thousands of the electric bats to Thais. I see my wife going around with one regularly in the house with that pop pop pop sound of fried mosquito.

If you think you had dengue fever and you were only ill for one week then you did not have dengue fever, you probably had gastroenturitus... fever, diarrhea vomiting ..etc (very common in thailand). I had dengue fever earlier this year.....it took around 6 weeks to make a full recovery...and around 3 weeks to get over the worst of it. Also if you have it your glands will be up big style, you will probably also have puffy eyes as your glands are working over time. your whole body will be stiff and you will have lower back pain...usually at the top of your buttocks. If you have had it before the second and third times will be worse and you will probably start vomiting and defecating blood......then its time to go to the hospital. Also if you have it there is no cure and its viral so the best way to get better is rest and your diet. Eat lost of fruit and veg....also, do not drink or smoke, doing this hampers your bodies ability to fight infections.

• Like 1

How long did it take for this nonsense to completely go away in your case? For me, it has been a week. While I feel better a lot of the time, it comes back and hits me like a truck out of nowhere. Misery ....

I hate to tell you but the recovery is slow and prolonged. The acute phase with fever, chills goes away in 7-10 days (quicker in mild cases) and so does the worst of the headache and muscle aches but some degree of achy-ness can last for weeks as will fatigue, weakness and depression.In fact the depression is most noticeable in the recovery phase. It's important to be prepared for it as you may otherwise think you've lost your mind. Emotional ups and downs and really deep depression are common. Up to a month or more in some cases.

If you think you had dengue fever and you were only ill for one week then you did not have dengue fever, you probably had gastroenturitus... fever, diarrhea vomiting ..etc (very common in thailand). I had dengue fever earlier this year.....it took around 6 weeks to make a full recovery...and around 3 weeks to get over the worst of it. Also if you have it your glands will be up big style, you will probably also have puffy eyes as your glands are working over time. your whole body will be stiff and you will have lower back pain...usually at the top of your buttocks. If you have had it before the second and third times will be worse and you will probably start vomiting and defecating blood......then its time to go to the hospital. Also if you have it there is no cure and its viral so the best way to get better is rest and your diet. Eat lost of fruit and veg....also, do not drink or smoke, doing this hampers your bodies ability to fight infections.

Actually there is a wide spectrum of severity in dengue, from being flat on your back wracked with shaking chills and high fever and unable to stand any light in the room or movement...to a mild flu-like thing that you can even keep working through. In the mild cases it is often not even clear it was dengue until the rash breaks.

In the early 1980's the Thai-Cambodian border saw a massive influx of refugees and with it of farang refugee relief workers who had no prior immunity. Every single rainy season the hospitals of Bangkok filled up with farang from the camps with dengue (including me). There was a lot of overturn - people came as volunteers and most stayed just a few months or so -- so the supply of non-immune farang was pretty endless. As one of those who did stay long-term I got to see literally hundreds of farang dengue cases every year. When the season hit, all the newbies would drop like flies...but some much more badly than others.

In all those years I only recall one farang who had a hemorrghagic form though.

I also noted that those with the mildest illness seemed to have the most pronounced and obvious rashes while those who were laid flat out had barely perceptible ones.

Actually there is a wide spectrum of severity in dengue, from being flat on your back wracked with shaking chills and high fever and unable to stand any light in the room or movement...to a mild flu-like thing that you can even keep working through. In the mild cases it is often not even clear it was dengue until the rash breaks.

In the early 1980's the Thai-Cambodian border saw a massive influx of refugees and with it of farang refugee relief workers who had no prior immunity. Every single rainy season the hospitals of Bangkok filled up with farang from the camps with dengue (including me). There was a lot of overturn - people came as volunteers and most stayed just a few months or so -- so the supply of non-immune farang was pretty endless. As one of those who did stay long-term I got to see literally hundreds of farang dengue cases every year. When the season hit, all the newbies would drop like flies...but some much more badly than others.

I also noted that those with the mildest illness seemed to have the most pronounced and obvious rashes while those who were laid flat out had barely perceptible ones.

Yes i agree.....my rash was less obvious but i was laid out flat for at least 2 weeks....and took a further 4 weeks to gain my full strength back. I do have to say that i did think i would die at one point from over heating, it took 5 days for my fever to break and i had to be wrapped in wet towels with the air-con at 18 on full blast just to keep it under control. During this time i could not do anything.

Yes i agree.....my rash was less obvious but i was laid out flat for at least 2 weeks....and took a further 4 weeks to gain my full strength back. I do have to say that i did think i would die at one point from over heating, it took 5 days for my fever to break and i had to be wrapped in wet towels with the air-con at 18 on full blast just to keep it under control. During this time i could not do anything.

First and worst bout, was a solid week before the fever broke. I refused all cooling measures (other than paracetemol) as I was wracked with chills and never felt so cold in my life. They very kindly tried to explain to me the dangers associated with fevers in excess of 40 C and through chattering teeth I told them I was a nurse, I knew all about it, but my brain would not fry and all I really needed was many, many more blankets. To my great relief they accepted this as well as my insistance in turning off all fans and a/c, and I shivered under piles of blankets for a week. The room was so hot no one could stand to visit, but I was freezing.

Emerged thin as a rail, all my ribs showing.

That was 1981 but the memory hasn't faded...

Next 2 bouts were by comparison not bad at all and managed at home. But that first was impressive. It hurt even to breath let alone move.

The BMA say 40,000 people in Bangkok are infected? Since 80% of the people infected are asymptomatic (carriers without symptoms), who do not realise they have the virus, It follows that the actual infections are much higher than quoted. Contrary to what some posters reported, 80% have no symptoms, 15% suffer mild symptoms (vomiting and diarrhoea) while only 5% get the full blown disease. Fortunately there are few deaths. However, in the housing estate where I live in Bangkok I have known 2 children in the past 20 years who have died due to dengue haemorrhagic fever. My concern at this time is that the BMA have not been regularly fogging the housing estate with insecticide to keep down the mosquito population for some time now.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

well, I guess this is the time that everyone acts on it, and don't put our life on the BMA. simple as just clean and clear every possible water containers / pots, and spray as much. I know this little thing can fly from somewhere, yet just keep them as minimum as possible.

I also learnt that dengue fever is more severe and has more reactive symptoms on westerners than those on Asian. just could not recall the source of this information.

The literature on this is much more tentative in its conclusions. The pubmed article you cited in prior post referred to a sample size of one patient!

this aside, all the literature on possible uses of Papaya leaf juice pertain to its possible role in boosting platlet counts. However the majority of dengue infections are "simple" dengue with no drop in platlets and no hemorrhagic complications. It would be misleading to imply that people with the simple form will get a quick "cure" from papaya leaf juice. If someone wants to take it either to help boost platlets or in the hopes of averting a drop in count, fine, but it is not going to make the fever and aches suddenly vanish. Only time will do that.

Asians are much more prone to the hemorrhagic form than westerners, it is not totally clear why but may be due to an autoimmune response in people who already had one or more simple dengue infections in childhood, which virtually all SE Asians have.

This papaya leaf juice, just another hoax :

Hoaxes and Urban Legends: Papaya Juice - (NOT!) A Cure for Dengue

A chain letter that has been circulating for years claims that juice from papaya leaves was a miracle cure for dengue fever. As it turns out, the exact same claim has previously been made for Pegaga juice, in a message originally posted in 2005 that matches the chain email word for word, except for the claim being made about a different plant altogether.

Pegaga is the Malaysian term for Centella asiatica. The botanical name for Papaya is Carica papaya. They are neither the same plant nor are they related.

The symptoms of dengue fever tend to last 5-6 days. The person whose case was discussed in the chain letter had already been in hospital for three days and presumably had been feeling ill for some time before seeking hospital treatment. Therefore the juice "treatment" would have occurred at the tail end of the illness, right before nature takes its course and the symptoms would have subsided naturally because of the immune system fighting back, just as explained by the doctor in the story.

I would warn anyone against considering Pegaga or Papaya as an alternative to seeking professional medical treatment in case of dengue fever, as this could be life-threatening.

well, I guess this is the time that everyone acts on it, and don't put our life on the BMA. simple as just clean and clear every possible water containers / pots, and spray as much. I know this little thing can fly from somewhere, yet just keep them as minimum as possible.

I also learnt that dengue fever is more severe and has more reactive symptoms on westerners than those on Asian. just could not recall the source of this information.

Not correct. Actually, foreigners are less likely to get the complicated hemorghagic form of the disease. They can get it, but do so much less often. As to how severe ordinary dengue is in them, it varies greatly from case to case, from mild to something that has you in hospital for weeks barely able to move.

What is true is that foreigners are much more likely to get dengue as adults than are Asians (assuming of course that they are now in a place where it is endemic). This is because of lack of prior immunity. Virtually all Asians will have had at least one strain of dengue in childhood, often 2-3 or even all 4.

Funny story, A couple years ago I returned from Thailand to the states after a 3 week stay in Isaan. I was feeling poorly on the flight back and much worse by the time I got home. The following day I went to work with a fever. By the end of my shift I was laying on the floor with a 104 degree fever. I went to the local hospital and suggested I had Denge Fever. They thought I was nuts and treated me as such until I explained where I had just returned from and showed them the mosquito bites on my legs and ankles. Things got a little interesting then. It turn out to be a urinary tract infection and things calmed down a little bit. I plan to move to Isaan with my wife when I retire. We spend a month home every year and I am just waiting for the day when it really is Denge. Dad does spray for mosquitos and the family has no problems killing any of the little pests.

Anybody hear the deafening silence from TAT? Are the airlines warning passengers?

If they warned every time such small scale outbreak occured, the world would only be full of warnings.

Seriously, it's not like travelers to bangkok have a 10% percent risk of getting infected.

Dengue fever is on the list of diseases endemic in Thailand, so no need for specific warnings unless there is a very significant outbreak.

Edited by manarak

Anybody hear the deafening silence from TAT? Are the airlines warning passengers?

If they warned every time such small scale outbreak occured, the world would only be full of warnings.

Seriously, it's not like travelers to bangkok have a 10% percent risk of getting infected.

Dengue fever is on the list of diseases endemic in Thailand, so no need for specific warnings unless there is a very significant outbreak.

I don't understand your comment. 40,000 infected in one city is not cause for warning? What is your threshold, 100k, 200k. Seems significant to me and has me overseeing our mosquito population at our house.

I don't understand your comment. 40,000 infected in one city is not cause for warning? What is your threshold, 100k, 200k. Seems significant to me and has me overseeing our mosquito population at our house.

my only point is that a three- to fourfold increase of Dengue incidence in Thailand does not significantly increase the risk for travelers, therefore no need for a specific warning.

of course dengue remains a serious public health issue that must be tackled.

Edited by manarak