What Do You Expect From Thailand ?

soi41

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pretty much learned that no matter where you may be on the planet if you look for positives you will find many and generally be a pretty happy person. If you look for negatives you will find plenty of them and generally be a pretty miserable sort.

When I compare the life that I have had thus far with the vast majority of Thais I tend to think "gee what a lucky guy I have been".

We all play the cards we are dealt to the best of our ability. I am most often impressed with how well most Thai people have adapted to their circumstances and live their lives in as happy a manner as they can manage. Many of us westerners could learn a few things about not sweating the small stuff and not getting all bent out of shape over things we cannot change.

• Like 2

A day does not go by on TV without someone starting a topic to complain about the complainers. Why don't you start a new message board called "We Love Thailand" and ban anyone who is bitter or angry or disappointed or criticizes anything Thai related?

I have pretty much learned that no matter where you may be on the planet if you look for positives you will find many and generally be a pretty happy person. If you look for negatives you will find plenty of them and generally be a pretty miserable sort.

I completely agree with this, and with the original poster. There's something about this particular forum and the posters that are drawn to it. Just look at the type of ads that typically run on here.

I completely agree with this, and with the original poster. There's something about this particular forum and the posters that are drawn to it. Just look at the type of ads that typically run on here.

I think the type of ads you see are linked to your searching activities.

I only see ads for temples, food and beaches.

Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh..cheesy.gif

OH ... uptheos ... you saint you ... temples, food and beaches!

elderly37.gif

Humm ... my searching activities ... ermm.gif

That would explain why I keep getting Zimmer Frame ads ... huh.png

• Like 1

That explains all the workout adds, i knew this before but forgot about it.

What i expect here is for people to be late and in general do half a job. But at times like yesterday im pleasantly surprised.

What do you expect from Thailand?

Not very much. The country owes me nothing. I make the decision every time I purchase a ticket or deal with immigration paperwork.

I do however, wish the sob stories would get an update. I have the impression that some people operate from a script handed down in families as a treasured asset.

Some of the things I expect are; pollution, bureaucracy, corruption, the unexpected, decent food, some genuine decency, beautiful scenery, cute kids, pretty girls, loveable grannies and grampas. I expect from my shrinking circle of Thai friends; that out of nowhere they will go take a nap in my bed after the sheets are changed, guys peeing everywhere but in the toilet, girls asking intrusive questions, guys that snitch on me to my family because they think its funny, a best friend who will go out in the worst weather to get dinner because it's too dangerous for me to go, a friend that said she didn't like my hair and who gave me a trim on the beach, a best friend that hangs out with me at the military beach and is always up for a beer. And the number 1 expectation I have is that after I go out with for dinner or a drink with a "stranger", that I will be interrogated as to who the person is including income, family background, employment history and place of origin.

• Like 2

When I compare the life that I have had thus far with the vast majority of Thais I tend to think "gee what a lucky guy I have been".

We all play the cards we are dealt to the best of our ability. I am most often impressed with how well most Thai people have adapted to their circumstances and live their lives in as happy a manner as they can manage. Many of us westerners could learn a few things about not sweating the small stuff and not getting all bent out of shape over things we cannot change.

I really like your post and have had this attitude, more or less, for the three decades I've known this country. In my youth, I lived in one of the worst slums in the country and marveled at the sort of acceptance you mention at the end. However...

At the risk of seeming to inject negativity on what is so far a pleasantly - and rationally - positive thread, I have to point out what I have to so many people over the years: one of the greatest strengths of Thais is also one of the greatest weaknesses; there are some things that should NOT be accepted and they won't begin to change until Thais stop saying, "Oh, well. Whatever will be, will be."

• Like 1

I'm here now and no intentions to go back EVER!

But if you get the wish you expressed in post # 12...you cant stay here..you have to leave unless you have PR or a citizenship...I am confused..on one hand you stated you wished Thailand to be free of farang, but the next post you state the intention of never going back

• Like 2

I would expect basic respect and courtesy, from a Buddhist nation and populace that I choose to live and spend my money in.

Unfortunately as I speak and understand Thai I can see that these aren't given (unless there is some sort of advantage for the Thai in feigning them). :(