Selling Second Leg Of A Return Air Ticket

UKJASE

my travelling partner can no longer use the second leg of their return ticket to the UK with emirates

the date has a free change and will be valid from august until october

any one any idea what i can do with it? will i have to bin it, or does ithave some saleable value??

whistling.gif Depends on the ticket. and the particular airline.

Rule of thumb .... the cheaper the original ticket the less of any kind of value it has in the "unused" half.

Full fare tickets may be refundable .... the cheaper ones are just toilet paper you carry around.

Doesn't matter if it's a "paper ticket" or an "e-ticket".

But you must check the "fine print" concerning refunds or credits for the original ticket you bought.

The other option ... again depending on ticket, fare cost, and airline is to use that unused return half as partial payment for another ticket to a different destination on same airline.

For example .... you buy a return fare ticket from U.K. to BKK. You still have the return half left. You may be able to use that return half as CREDIT toward the purchase of a BKK to Hong Kong return ticket from the same airline.

But you need to be careful .... because as I said before.... generally the cheaper the original ticket is the less value the unused portion is as either credit or any refund value.

Most airlines will be often more willing to let you use the unused portion of a ticket as credit toward the purchase of another ticket than they are to refund the unused portion.

• Like 1

Please note that you can not sell the ticket to any one. It has the traveller's name on it, and since part of the ticket has been used, the name on it can not be changed. Sometimes it is possible to change the name on the ticket, but it has to be wholly unused.

You can ask for a refund for the unused flights, or credit towards future flights, as mentioned above by IMA-FARANG. Contact the airline to do this.

• Like 1

the ticket is with emirates, and was a 30,000B return ticket from the UK to BKK

they will not be able to use the return leg. It has one free date change up until early nov 2013

i bought a single ticket with emirates from Bkk - Newcastle and this was over 30,000B for this time last year, so surely there is something i can do with this ticket is there not?

it would be a real shame if i just had to let it go..... surely it is in the airline's interest to at least give me a 50% refund, and then sell the seat to someone else

they will not be able to use the return leg. It has one free date change up until early nov 2013

i bought a single ticket with emirates from Bkk - Newcastle and this was over 30,000B for this time last year, so surely there is something i can do with this ticket is there not?

it would be a real shame if i just had to let it go..... surely it is in the airline's interest to at least give me a 50% refund, and then sell the seat to someone else

The only way to find out is to contact the airline. Either call their office here in Bangkok or send them an email. They will look at the class of ticket you have and tell you what can be done.

As mentioned, if it's in a lower class, the probability of getting a refund is small. And no, it's not in their interest to give money back. Airlines rake in a lot of money from all the fees and penalties they now impose. Something they like, but we obviously don't!!

On a low cost ticket like this, the likelihood is that the ticket is non transferable and non-cancelable and will have stated such in the purchase agreement conditions. If you look at the fare agreement, it may offer a refund calculation. It will involve a deduction of a percentage of the one way fare for the segment in question. This is the penalty. In addition there will be a fee of between 2000 and 5000 baht. The end result will be a minimal amount. Check with the airline. If you wanted a refundable ticket, then you would have had to purchase a full fare ticket. The reason the ticket was priced low was because of the restrictive conditions.

In respect to your comment that it is in the airline's interest, you are incorrect. If the pax does not show up, the airline has the money and can use the free weight to reduce its cost of the flight. It may also have an opportunity to resell the seat or extra weight allowance to another party. The airline is in a win win situation. At 30,000 THB, the ticket was most likely purchased because of pricing and not because of the soft product provided. That means that if the price is as low again, the pax will most likely again purchase an Emirates ticket.

As I recall when informing the airline (cannot remeber which one - but I think was Etihad) I could not fly the 2nd leg. Economy seat too.

I got the taxes refunded but not the cost of the actual fight.

Is this ticket never going to be used in that name? The reason I ask is that, yes, you get 1 free change but you could always talk to them to use it at a future date beyond that and pay whatever the premium is (under the same name, of course).