My first Thai wedding experience.

Don't worry plenty of people wear jeans to weddings when everyone else is more formal.

Obviously they didn't mind and know differnet people have different circumstances and you are a farang with no need for trousers in Thailand. Same as many Thais who don't use them for work.

There is a need for trousers, it would certainly be disrespectful to wear shorts at weddings. If anyone disagrees with me, and that is their privilege, that's fine. Thai girls on the whole do not like men wearing shorts apart from on the beach, playing sports etc. Try turning up for a first date with a Thai girl wearing shorts, you that is, and see what happens.

Not only Thai girls.

Shorts are for farmers and such. The lowest of the lowest. Maybe children. A farang with shorts, not only at weddings, is just a clown or tourist. And that applies to other Asian countries as well.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry plenty of people wear jeans to weddings when everyone else is more formal.

Obviously they didn't mind and know differnet people have different circumstances and you are a farang with no need for trousers in Thailand. Same as many Thais who don't use them for work.

There is a need for trousers, it would certainly be disrespectful to wear shorts at weddings. If anyone disagrees with me, and that is their privilege, that's fine. Thai girls on the whole do not like men wearing shorts apart from on the beach, playing sports etc. Try turning up for a first date with a Thai girl wearing shorts, you that is, and see what happens.

Not only Thai girls.

Shorts are for farmers and such. The lowest of the lowest. Maybe children. A farang with shorts, not only at weddings, is just a clown or tourist. And that applies to other Asian countries as well.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I have been to four Thai weddings, two were mine, and the other two were friends. Looks like I got it right second time around.

Thoroughly enjoyed each one, especially the two I did not have to pay for. Actually enjoyed getting dressed up as well, those tuxedos are quite comfortable. Thai ladies love it, you will see some stunning girls at a Thai wedding, that's for sure.

Thai people are generally too polite to say something if you are "under dressed" but don't worry, they will notice. It is very much a token of respect to dress smart when attending weddings, birthday parties etc. or even just visiting someone at their home.

Four weddings for a combined total of 3,100 guests. What a hoot ! clap2.gif

Not only Thai girls.

12 years and counting ...NEVER wore anything other than shorts. Obviously not a Tourist, so I will have to put up my hand for being a clown then if I only have the 2 choices coffee1.gifbah.gif

I agree with this ^^^

Been to several weddings and funerals and I've always worn denims. Never a bad word said or complaint made.

Not everyone goes to these things dressed up to the 9's :)

Some people think they are still in the West.

Not only Thai girls.

12 years and counting ...NEVER wore anything other than shorts. Obviously not a Tourist, so I will have to put up my hand for being a clown then if I only have the 2 choices coffee1.gifbah.gif

In 13 years my wife has never complained about me wearing shorts. Obviously proper attire for the right occasion , but in everyday wear ... I must be a clown as well.

I've been to 3 weddings, not counting my own. 2 at homes and 1 at a huge restaurant. All 3 times I wore slacks, button down shirt, and had no problems. But on 2 ocassions, I had some major problems.

My wife works for a large insurance company, and every 3 months they have an awards dinner at a major hotel. First time we are getting ready, I ask her what should I wear. She says nice slacks and shirt. Ok, fine. We show up, and I'm the only man NOT wearing suit and tie. I shrugged it off. 3 months later, another party. I go with custom made 3 piece suit. Wife is dressed nice, but carrying a bag with some other things, that I really didn't notice. As soon as we get to the hotel, and the proper floor, she bolts into the bath room, while I go into the main room, where I find everyone wearing some sort of silly, assanine costume! I turn around and see wife emerging from bathroom wearing an outfit that made her look like a 1920's era Flapper Girl. I smiled and told her she could get one of her friends to bring her home, and walked out.

When she came home she immediately started apologizing for not telling me what kind of party it was. I smile and told her that it didn't matter, because I would never go to anything like that with her again. Now, every 3 months she goes alone, having learned that asking and begging me to go with her is completely pointless. And I won't allow her to take the car. One of her friends/co-workers has to come pick her up.

That sounds like something my Filipina ex-wife would do. Totally thoughtless. Congrats for your reasonable reactions. I am surprised u r still married...

I searched through wedding topics for country town weddings.

But I gather this was not your usual country wedding.

The bride comes from working-class family and the bridegroom comes from a wealthy family.(the wedding was held in the brides town).

90% of the guests were casually dressed and the other 10% were immaculatily dressed.Even the brides father was casually dressed.

But at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that the newly wedded couple were happy.

• Like 1

I agree with you Todd,but it was at short notice and I have never owned a suit, lesson learned.

Apologies if I judged too quickly.

I once attended a training seminar in America and they said "business casual" not researching it properly I bought over 300 pounds of denim jeans only to find I was the only one in jeans.

Live and learn

I had an American boss, who fortunately asked me in advance: do you have a suite? Me: no.!? Boss: get one.!

I'm never without one now :)

Lots of diffrent people in this country.. Been to three weddings here all two thai-thai one foreigner-thai. the first one was thai-thai in Bangkok where I was dressed in a suit but no jacket.. still felt underdressed since everyone was dressed in full suit with tie. the other two were on the islands so more casual... it really depends on the people and area.

In daily life? I consider the ones walking outside with full clothes in 40deg. sun bigger clowns than me in my shorts on a day off..

• Like 1

Its a nice story, but I don't get it. Anything happens like that around me, I always ask someone, which collar should I wear?

Saves me any embarrassment, what brand of cigar should I smoke? Should I applaud etc

Would you wear that to a wedding back from where you come from?

maybe

BTW Where can I buy a good Cuban cigar, I am sure that will impress the locals.

Central Pattaya. **

Waste of time to attempt to impress locals with such products that have no frame of reference within Thai culture as understood by 90% of the population (maybe more), those that have contact with tourists will know imported cigarettes are better for example.

I have offered Thais fine Scottish Whiskies which were drown in soda and proper coffee that was polluted with Coffee Mate, those Thais are not allowed nice things now. But I have a BIL that does understand the difference between Thai and imported brands also a SIL that likes my espressos.

As for clothing my wife points out that not everyone has dress-sense nor the money to buy nice things, if this is the case I'm sorry. But even in the area we live the villagers do make an effort to dress up for significant local events. As a farang you would be expected to be able to match the highest local standards, not doing so will be measured as a statement on your status or level of respect you are showing to the hosts or the event. Thais do notice and it will be commented upon.

I have attended a few events locally where other farang show up in shorts etc. They are tolerated as that is the Thai way, but it is still spoken about (gossip) after the event with suggestions about farangs being cheap or not understanding Thai culture. If you are a tourist living out of a suitcase maybe jeans were the best you can do, if you are living in Thailand I respectfully suggest you act like the person your partner thought they were marrying rather than a cleaner.

** Not an advert - I have no connection with the business in Pattaya.

Edited by Cuban

"Never a bad word said or complaint made."....................cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

None that you know of at least !

And how many weddings / funerals have you been to?

Not eveyone has to dress up like a dogs dinner to be presentable or to be accepted.

You know so little of who was at these events yet you believe you know better?

You are laughable.

I have come to this reception wearing only jeans and a casual shirt and polished shoes.(I have never needed to wear more than shorts,sandals and a casual shirt in Thailand).

Looking at the newly married couple I felt embarrased at my dress code....

Embarrassed ? You should feel ashamed of yourself !

People do notice what you wear and how you behave, as you describe the situation I would expect that your wife is not too pleased at the disrespect that you shown to the couple getting married. But ask her and she will say "It's not important" or "Doesn't matter", each of which you should know are face deferral expressions to avoid making a bad situation worst.

Do you not have a closet of clothes to choose from?

Or are you one of the farangs that consider wearing shorts and a Singha T-shirt to the immigration office is normal?

I can not understand how wearing jeans to a wedding in our respective native countries would be considered good manners, so why might it be OK in Thailand. Never seen wedding pictures before?

Go shopping, buy clothes suitable for a formal occasion with suitable light and dark shirts for weddings and funerals. A few ties wouldn't hurt.

I know I probably have more clothes than I will ever need to wear again, but I can change into appropriate clothing after a shower depending if we are going to dinner, a house warming, wedding or funeral.

Show some respect for yourself.

Well i came to Thailand to retire not for a social life. I own one pair of long pants which I bought in the states when I was over there at a 50 year class reunion. My wife went to school to learn to make clothes and makes all mine. So far she has not made a pair of long pants. If she thought I would need them they would appear with out my saying a word.

I don't give a dam who or what it is if I have to have a suit I just won't go.

In 7 years I have yet to have a problem at immigration because I wear short pants. I only own one tshirt and that is for exercising all my others are button up short sleeve and some are pretty wild.

If the clothes you own are your way of respecting your self go for it. I judge myself by what I do.wai2.gif

yes i had a sandman way back in 75 , green one it was always rockin

Long shot here kevvy .....in Sydney? Possibly Holsworthy?

Oh, and on topic ..last wedding I attended was jean shorts, leather sandals and a Buriram supporters t-shirt. I cant remember anyone looking at me twice smile.png

Sounds like you don't surround yourself with snobs who only judge you by what you wear.

Not only Thai girls.

Shorts are for farmers and such. The lowest of the lowest.

I dont know who told you that , which website you read it on, or if you actually live in Thailand.

Next time you are in Bkk, take a trip to say, Paragon, Central or Fashion Island, head to the car park and observe the farmers and others of that ilk getting into or exiting from their Mercs and Beamers, Tunas and other such cars, hardly the lowest of the low.

BTW Where can I buy a good Cuban cigar, I am sure that will impress the locals.

Central Pattaya. **

Waste of time to attempt to impress locals with such products that have no frame of reference within Thai culture as understood by 90% of the population (maybe more), those that have contact with tourists will know imported cigarettes are better for example.

I have offered Thais fine Scottish Whiskies which were drown in soda and proper coffee that was polluted with Coffee Mate, those Thais are not allowed nice things now. But I have a BIL that does understand the difference between Thai and imported brands also a SIL that likes my espressos.

As for clothing my wife points out that not everyone has dress-sense nor the money to buy nice things, if this is the case I'm sorry. But even in the area we live the villagers do make an effort to dress up for significant local events. As a farang you would be expected to be able to match the highest local standards, not doing so will be measured as a statement on your status or level of respect you are showing to the hosts or the event. Thais do notice and it will be commented upon.

I have attended a few events locally where other farang show up in shorts etc. They are tolerated as that is the Thai way, but it is still spoken about (gossip) after the event with suggestions about farangs being cheap or not understanding Thai culture. If you are a tourist living out of a suitcase maybe jeans were the best you can do, if you are living in Thailand I respectfully suggest you act like the person your partner thought they were marrying rather than a cleaner.

** Not an advert - I have no connection with the business in Pattaya.

My wife got the man she thought she was marrying. I kind gentle giving person not a social snob.

Not only Thai girls.

Shorts are for farmers and such. The lowest of the lowest.

I dont know who told you that , which website you read it on, or if you actually live in Thailand.

Next time you are in Bkk, take a trip to say, Paragon, Central or Fashion Island, head to the car park and observe the farmers and others of that ilk getting into or exiting from their Mercs and Beamers, Tunas and other such cars, hardly the lowest of the low.

Take another look, it looks like you are mixing me up with GreenSnapper, My wifes parents were rice farmers, and her brothers, they are nowhere near being poor, and you could not meet nicer people.

^^^^^^, I thought it was GS I was replying to, anyway my comments were aimed at the poster who posted this in post # 29.

Not only Thai girls.

I say again, if the poster thinks only upcountry bumpkins or hicks wear shorts maybe he hasnt visited some of the more upmarket shopping malls in Bkk on a weekend.

• Like 1

I've been to 3 weddings, not counting my own. 2 at homes and 1 at a huge restaurant. All 3 times I wore slacks, button down shirt, and had no problems. But on 2 ocassions, I had some major problems.

My wife works for a large insurance company, and every 3 months they have an awards dinner at a major hotel. First time we are getting ready, I ask her what should I wear. She says nice slacks and shirt. Ok, fine. We show up, and I'm the only man NOT wearing suit and tie. I shrugged it off. 3 months later, another party. I go with custom made 3 piece suit. Wife is dressed nice, but carrying a bag with some other things, that I really didn't notice. As soon as we get to the hotel, and the proper floor, she bolts into the bath room, while I go into the main room, where I find everyone wearing some sort of silly, assanine costume! I turn around and see wife emerging from bathroom wearing an outfit that made her look like a 1920's era Flapper Girl. I smiled and told her she could get one of her friends to bring her home, and walked out.

When she came home she immediately started apologizing for not telling me what kind of party it was. I smile and told her that it didn't matter, because I would never go to anything like that with her again. Now, every 3 months she goes alone, having learned that asking and begging me to go with her is completely pointless. And I won't allow her to take the car. One of her friends/co-workers has to come pick her up.

I guess your evening went something like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOTlvzaSJ08

Edited by evadgib

Her cunning plan to go to office parties with her gik worked then!

biggrin.png

Her cunning plan to go to office parties with her gik worked then!

biggrin.png

I say again, if the poster thinks only upcountry bumpkins or hicks wear shorts maybe he hasnt visited some of the more upmarket shopping malls in Bkk on a weekend.

If you fail to appreciate the difference between some weekend shopping in BKK and an event such as a wedding, funeral or any number of occasions one attends a Wat you are not suitable to be taken anywhere but a beer bar, as that would seem to be the dress code that you prefer.

If you are so naive to consider that clothes do not make a difference, then you do not understand the country you are living in.

Even my ancient MIL has dress sense.

If you fail to appreciate the difference between some weekend shopping in BKK and an event such as a wedding, funeral or any number of occasions one attends a Wat you are not suitable to be taken anywhere but a beer bar, as that would seem to be the dress code that you prefer.

If you are so naive to consider that clothes do not make a difference, then you do not understand the country you are living in.

Even my ancient MIL has dress sense.

Not only Thai girls.

Read the bits in bold.

I have come to this reception wearing only jeans and a casual shirt and polished shoes.(I have never needed to wear more than shorts,sandals and a casual shirt in Thailand).

Looking at the newly married couple I felt embarrased at my dress code....

Embarrassed ? You should feel ashamed of yourself !

People do notice what you wear and how you behave, as you describe the situation I would expect that your wife is not too pleased at the disrespect that you shown to the couple getting married. But ask her and she will say "It's not important" or "Doesn't matter", each of which you should know are face deferral expressions to avoid making a bad situation worst.

Do you not have a closet of clothes to choose from?

Or are you one of the farangs that consider wearing shorts and a Singha T-shirt to the immigration office is normal?

I can not understand how wearing jeans to a wedding in our respective native countries would be considered good manners, so why might it be OK in Thailand. Never seen wedding pictures before?

Go shopping, buy clothes suitable for a formal occasion with suitable light and dark shirts for weddings and funerals. A few ties wouldn't hurt.

I know I probably have more clothes than I will ever need to wear again, but I can change into appropriate clothing after a shower depending if we are going to dinner, a house warming, wedding or funeral.

Show some respect for yourself.

My (Thai) wife would say: "It's a wedding, you can wear what you want + envelope; the only people who have to behave and dress up nicely are the couple who is going to legalise their [dirty] sex life".

Did you ever recognize that Thai weddings are a non - religious ceremony? = not important?

The one nice thing about Thais is they don't judge people as harshly as westerners do. I've been to many weddings and have worn shorts at most of them. Nice ones, with a nice shirt and boat shoes. Never had a problem.

As a friend once told me. I didn't come here to wear long pants.

yes i had a sandman way back in 75 , green one it was always rockin

Long shot here kevvy .....in Sydney? Possibly Holsworthy?

Oh, and on topic ..last wedding I attended was jean shorts, leather sandals and a Buriram supporters t-shirt. I cant remember anyone looking at me twice smile.png

Sounds like you don't surround yourself with snobs who only judge you by what you wear.

Correct assumption hellodolly.

But I must admit that I do bow to tradition when attending Thai funerals.

I have one pair of black shorts for those occasions.