Free Beer! - Alcohol Free

SoloFlyer

You tease! I read the first two words of the topic and clicked right away.

Anyway, alcohol free beer? Back in the US there were a few brands available but I've never seen any such thing in Thailand.

Maybe you could take regular beer and... unsure.png cook it for awhile? Dump a case of Leo into a big pot, put it on a stove, and heat it until the alcohol evaporates? It should actually work, you wouldn't have to (or want) to bring the beer to a full boil, as the boiling temperature of alcohol is lower than the boiling point of water. If you heated beer to 85 or 90 degrees for awhile the alcohol would evaporate and leave the rest behind.

The carbonation would probably be lost though? Maybe? Stick it in the fridge, and pour some Chang Soda in there with it?

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Sorry.

huh.png

Back in Canada they had what they called Alcohol free beer. It actually had 1/2% in it.

A friend of mine stoped drinking for a while and just drank that. I asked him if he felt it and he said after the 6 one he could feel it. Of course he had a low tolerance.

I think your system would work just taste like piss. For carbonation you could add Ginger Ale.tongue.png It couldn't make it taste any worse might improve it.wai.gif

Anyway, alcohol free beer? Back in the US there were a few brands available but I've never seen any such thing in Thailand.

Maybe you could take regular beer and... unsure.png cook it for awhile? Dump a case of Leo into a big pot, put it on a stove, and heat it until the alcohol evaporates? It should actually work, you wouldn't have to (or want) to bring the beer to a full boil, as the boiling temperature of alcohol is lower than the boiling point of water. If you heated beer to 85 or 90 degrees for awhile the alcohol would evaporate and leave the rest behind.

The carbonation would probably be lost though? Maybe? Stick it in the fridge, and pour some Chang Soda in there with it?

Sorry.

huh.png

Back in Canada they had what they called Alcohol free beer. It actually had 1/2% in it.

A friend of mine stoped drinking for a while and just drank that. I asked him if he felt it and he said after the 6 one he could feel it. Of course he had a low tolerance.

I think your system would work just taste like piss. For carbonation you could add Ginger Ale.tongue.png It couldn't make it taste any worse might improve it.wai.gif

Sounds about right! It would probably taste pretty awful. Of course, the non-alcoholic beers I tasted in the US were all pretty bad too. A few years back in California I shared an apartment with a friend of mine, we had another friend who had quit drinking. Every time we had a party at our place this guy would show up with a six pack of O'doul's non-alcoholic beer. Good on him for bringing it himself and not imposing, but here's the thing: he would always drink two and leave the other four in our fridge. We ended up trying it and the stuff was absolutely terrible. Pretty sure it was just Bud Light with all the alcohol boiled out of it (and maybe gingerale added! biggrin.png ).

Eventually my roommate was hard up for a drink late one night and poured some cheap Korean soju into the beer and drank it. He claimed it wasn't that bad.

As for me, I'll stick to real beer. If I ever have to quit drinking, I'll just drink water or fruit juice.

You used to be able to buy it in Saudi, which made for a more presentable version of Sid, but I think they cottoned on to it.

This reminds me, when I lived in Nong Jok there was some kind of brewed non-alcoholic beverage that some of the Muslim-owned shops would carry. I don't think it was exactly a beer, maybe some kind of non-alcoholic cider? It came in a lot of different flavors. I think it was called Istak? I never tried it as it was more expensive than actual beer.

Sorry.

huh.png

Sounds about right! It would probably taste pretty awful. Of course, the non-alcoholic beers I tasted in the US were all pretty bad too. A few years back in California I shared an apartment with a friend of mine, we had another friend who had quit drinking. Every time we had a party at our place this guy would show up with a six pack of O'doul's non-alcoholic beer. Good on him for bringing it himself and not imposing, but here's the thing: he would always drink two and leave the other four in our fridge. We ended up trying it and the stuff was absolutely terrible. Pretty sure it was just Bud Light with all the alcohol boiled out of it (and maybe gingerale added! biggrin.png ).

Eventually my roommate was hard up for a drink late one night and poured some cheap Korean soju into the beer and drank it. He claimed it wasn't that bad.

As for me, I'll stick to real beer. If I ever have to quit drinking, I'll just drink water or fruit juice.

I would recommend water and Pepsi Max.

By the way are you a spin off from Andy Rooney.smile.png

Sorry.

huh.png

I would recommend water and Pepsi Max.

By the way are you a spin off from Andy Rooney.smile.png

Partly? The actual reason the name came about is that Andrew is my real first name, and every time I cut my hair short all my Thai friends say I look like Wayne Rooney. The Andy Rooney thing is sort of a happy coincidence (since I've always kind of liked him), so.... there it is.

Sorry.

huh.png

When I owned a restaurant in the states I made sure to add O'Doul's for those that wanted an alcohol-free beer. After 3 months, I still had 1/2 of the original case. Threw it out and never brought in another alcohol-free beer.

There is Krombacher and Veltins, both from Germany. Both taste as beers though come at the very same import duty as alcohol beer as non-alcoholic is not quite correct. Apparently alcohol-free beer contains 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001 % alcohol and hence is taxed like any other beer import from non-ASEAN which makes it an expensive sipp!

You used to be able to buy it in Saudi, which made for a more presentable version of Sid, but I think they cottoned on to it.

This reminds me, when I lived in Nong Jok there was some kind of brewed non-alcoholic beverage that some of the Muslim-owned shops would carry. I don't think it was exactly a beer, maybe some kind of non-alcoholic cider? It came in a lot of different flavors. I think it was called Istak? I never tried it as it was more expensive than actual beer.

Are you kidding me?! :D

Istak is a non-alcoholic flavored beer brand produced Iran! The taste is really good. You can't think of it as a real beer, but it definitely would be refreshing in the hot weather of Thailand. It's really interesting to me that it found it's way into Thailand! Have you seen it anywhere else?

Looking for Alcohol free beer for guests ... never looked for such a thing before, ideas please?

I'm glad you posted this.

I quit alcohol many years ago because it was killing me and had killed several relationships (including severely damaging the one with my son). However, I do like a beer with Mexican food, pizza, bbq, etc. I drank the usual NA beers in the US, but had not even considered looking for them in Thailand.

Today, while at TOPS (Khon Kaen), I checked. They have two. One is Clausthaler (350 ml), which was available in the US. The other was Oettinger (500 ml), a German import that I have not heard of. Both are 89 baht. I thought 89 was a bit high for 350 ml, but I did buy a couple of the Oettingers. Going to make Mexican tonight and looking forward to trying them.

Thanks again for bringing this up.

Tony

P.S. Unfortunate about the people who are only looking to get drunk from their drinking. As one who has been there, you might give some thought about where it's taking you. (OK...Off soapbox. Flame me if you want but I won't respond.)

• Like 1

Are you kidding me?! biggrin.png

Istak is a non-alcoholic flavored beer brand produced Iran! The taste is really good. You can't think of it as a real beer, but it definitely would be refreshing in the hot weather of Thailand. It's really interesting to me that it found it's way into Thailand! Have you seen it anywhere else?

The only place I can remember seeing it is Nong Jok. There are a lot of Muslims living in that area, I guess some of them would drink it. I always thought it looked interesting but never got around to trying it. A couple of the convenience stores near me had it, I can't remember if any of the larger stores carried it or not.

There is a german brand at tesco lotus. its almost as expensive as their alcohol version of the same brand. cant remember the name.

Villa markets in BKK and at least some former Carrefour stores (now Big Cs) carry one of the German alcohol free brands. I've also seen it at the market at CentralWorld.