A not-so-clever pun, or a diabolical typo ?

Pietr S

Many years ago, when I first came to Thailand, I did the teaching English thing for one of the major English language schools.

At that time they had coffee mugs with their logo on them (I don’t know if these were for sale or given away as promotional items).

The slogan on the mug was supposed to say ‘We cannot spell success without you’, with the u in success being a different colour that the rest of the slogan.

However, what they actually had printed was ‘We cannot speel success without you’.

Not bad for a company that had hundreds of native English speakers on the books (including the bosses).

• Like 1

Typical. Could have asked a native speaker to check it, but too arrogant to ask.

WOT a load o BULL,

lots of ozzies can rememba Hey Hey it's Saturday, showin nooz paper typo's n phunny foto's made by "native speakers" just see it for wot it is n have larff n stop bein so judge mentel, seemz two me that sumone here is ARROGANT! TYPICAL!

i'M JUS SAYINwhistling.gif

Typical. Could have asked a native speaker to check it, but too arrogant to ask.

WOT a load o BULL,

lots of ozzies can rememba Hey Hey it's Saturday, showin nooz paper typo's n phunny foto's made by "native speakers" just see it for wot it is n have larff n stop bein so judge mentel, seemz two me that sumone here is ARROGANT! TYPICAL!

i'M JUS SAYINwhistling.gif

Yep, like promoting a restaurant with a chef that can't cook

Yep. They just won't ask for help.

Of all the places in LOS where you would least expect errors in writing announcements in English, due to its high westerner traffic, it would be an immigration office. The one I was in last week had many announcements, all of which kept me entertained while waiting. Even in the bathroom.

CONSERV WATTER CLOTHES THE TAP

DO NOT FLUSH ANY THINGS IN TOILIET

Yes we come across these all of the time and ask ourselves why dont they have it checked.

I doubt the answer is arrogance however, but i do have a few ideas.

Thais are many things but arrogance is not so common place like say maybe, (country name left out.)