Understanding Thailand - Advice for those who would make a holiday in Thailand

laislica

Personally, I have never had any problems in Thailand and I have enjoyed making visits to many wonderfuland beautiful attractions all over the country, huge temples, parks, mountains, jungle, elephant and ox cart rides and much more.

I have met many really nice Thais and enjoyed their company a great deal.

I enjoy the exotic fruits and vegetables. Street food is superb.

However, if you are a Westerner - Farang - Learn and respect the local customs.

Farang do not have a privileged high status here, in fact quite the opposite.

Avoid anything to do with recreational drugs - the penalties for the tiniest amount of say cannabis are horrendous.

Do not get confrontational with Thai´s - ever.

Browse Thai Visa Forum, and you could do worse that starting here:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660190-finger-waving-tourist-receives-phuket-lesson/?utm_source=newsletter-20130812-1619&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Remember that you are a visitor. You can expect nothing to be the same as in your home country - maybe that´s one reason to come here.

Remember that in Thailand all traffic has precedence over pedestrians.

Your currency is much stronger than the local currency which makes it very desirable to locals.

Be aware that some will try to scam you.

Never allow yourself to become a "falling down drunk" - I met one in Bangkok who did this on the first night of his arrival. He woke up on an ant hill, wearing only his shorts. Passport, valuables, luggage all on their way to better homes.

Here is a link to the first of 6 episodes on YouTube - it could happen to you if you fail to take care.

This series can show you that you need to be aware and take care - or pay the consequences.

There are no ant hills in Thailand.

OK, ants nest but if you want to split hairs, - Double negative?

I saw the lumps all over his back from the bites.

He woke up in a grassy area in Bangkok near the Khao San Road

Mate you are seeing everything from a tourist's point of view, with the tall tales and all. Living here is another reality.

Mate you are seeing everything from a tourist's point of view, with the tall tales and all. Living here is another reality.

You're right. You can't understand a country or a culture by holidaying in it.

• Like 2

I have a few Thai friends I would trust.There is not a Farang I would trust in Thailand and some off them were my friends for 20 years until they came to Thailand

I might suggest that you choose your Farang friends more carefully in future.

Indeed. To understand Thai Culture would take a lot of reading material such as Thailand Fever and Stephen Leather - Private Dancer.

My OP was not intended to teach Thai culture.

I am alarmed that so many tourists have their holiday turned to a holiday from hell or worse, because they fall into so many of the simple traps that lay around.

2012, Two young lady tourists die in mysterious circumstances after drinking at the beach. DEET / Insecticide implicated? Did we ever hear the truth about that schocking event?

2013 An American murdered over the payment of a taxi fare.

2013, A 51 year old stabbed to death and his 27 year old son badly beaten because "They wouldn´t get off the Karaoke Stage"

Every year countless number of tourists killed or maimed on hired motorcycles.

Rape, theft and murder on a daily basis. Just read TVF.

People need to take off their "holiday head" and stay alert!

I was very pleased to see the posts by bangkokstick, and Jody, to help people to understand the realities of the dangers of holidaying was my aim.

It is a wonderful country but I feel that many have the wrong idea about what they are going to find in Thailand.

It is NOT a place to enjoy recreational drugs, nor is it a sex free for all.

The days have gone when Thailand was a glorious, inexpensive tropical paradise.

I was first here at the end of the 60´s, the then to now difference is almost un-comprehensible.

Now It is crowded with tourists, various MAFIA in the tourist areas, the Tuk Tuk and Taxi MAFIA in Phuket is legendary.

The Jet Ski MAFIA is one to be reckoned with.

There is even a beach lounger MAFIA in Phuket.

The locals are no longer wide eyed at the carrying on of a few tourists. It is a now major business.

A tourist is a cash cow.

TAT expect more than a billion Baht from tourism for this year alone.

These comments only scratch the surface, feel free to add your own.

Edited by laislica

Indeed. To understand Thai Culture would take a lot of reading material such as Thailand Fever and Stephen Leather - Private Dancer.

My OP was not intended to teach Thai culture.

I am alarmed that so many tourists have their holiday turned to a holiday from hell or worse, because they fall into so many of the simple traps that lay around.

2012, Two young lady tourists die in mysterious circumstances after drinking at the beach. DEET / Insecticide implicated? Did we ever hear the truth about that schocking event?

2013 An American murdered over the payment of a taxi fare.

2013, A 51 year old stabbed to death and his 27 year old son badly beaten because "They wouldn´t get off the Karaoke Stage"

Every year countless number of tourists killed or maimed on hired motorcycles.

Rape, theft and murder on a daily basis. Just read TVF.

People need to take off their "holiday head" and stay alert!

I was very pleased to see the posts by bangkokstick, and Jody, to help people to understand the realities of the dangers of holidaying was my aim.

It is a wonderful country but I feel that many have the wrong idea about what they are going to find in Thailand.

It is NOT a place to enjoy recreational drugs, nor is it a sex free for all.

The days have gone when Thailand was a glorious, inexpensive tropical paradise.

I was first here at the end of the 60´s, the then to now difference is almost un-comprehensible.

Now It is crowded with tourists, various MAFIA in the tourist areas, the Tuk Tuk and Taxi MAFIA in Phuket is legendary.

The Jet Ski MAFIA is one to be reckoned with.

There is even a beach lounger MAFIA in Phuket.

The locals are no longer wide eyed at the carrying on of a few tourists. It is a now major business.

A tourist is a cash cow.

TAT expect more than a billion Baht from tourism for this year alone.

These comments only scratch the surface, feel free to add your own.

I think you will find it is pretty much a "sex free for all".

Or perhaps I have been living in the wrong parts of Thailand.

Gotta agree with you there CH, plenty of sex available, but rarely free.

But LL was also correct, this is not the country to partake in drugs, if you want that, better stay in your home country.

• Like 1

Gotta agree with you there CH, plenty of sex available, but rarely free.

But LL was also correct, this is not the country to partake in drugs, if you want that, better stay in your home country.

Prostitution is actually illegal in Thailand but I agree it is a big business and between consenting adults should be OK,

the oldest profession and all that, NOT the kiddy fiddlers though!