Tourism Malaysia closes Phuket office after 13 years

webfact

Tourism Malaysia closes Phuket office after 13 years
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Chong_Yoke_Har_Deputy_Directo
Chong Yoke Har, Deputy Director General of Tourism Malaysia, announced the closing of the Phuket office. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: -- Tourism Malaysia announced today that it will close its Phuket office and all other offices outside of Bangkok by the end of this month.

“There will only be one office in Thailand, and that will be in Bangkok,” Deputy Director General of Tourism Malaysia Chong Yoke Har said.

Mrs Chong made the announcement at an appreciation dinner for Phuket’s media and tour operators from six southern provinces at the Blue Elephant Restaurant this evening.

“Closing the Phuket office doesn't mean we will forget about the southern region,” she said.

“Our staff will pay visits to the southern provinces to continue our cooperation,” she added.

Mrs Chong said more staff would be concentrated in the Bangkok office to improve operations there.

The Phuket office has been open for 13 years.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Tourism-Malaysia-closes-Phuket-office-after-13-years-22005.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-20

One thinks that this will not be the only door that slowly closes on Phuket.

Not the 1st of many, nor the last of many ... just one of the many that are slamming shut.

Shame really ...

I agree. The next 12 months will see many more closures, from big, to small.

Not the 1st of many, nor the last of many ... just one of the many that are slamming shut.

Shame really ...

Tourism Malaysia is about promoting Malaysia as a tourist destination, not Thailand.

Tourism Malaysia obviously doesn't see a dollar in the Russians, Chinese and Indian tourists - yet, that's all Phuket is attracting these days.

It seems Tourism Malaysia can see what the TAT can not see, or refuses to believe.

Total tourist numbers for Malaysia in 2012 was 25.3 million & growing, more than the current tourist numbers for Thailand. Some detail at http://corporate.tourism.gov.my/research.asp?page=facts_figures

In 2012 Malaysia received only 50 thousand Russian tourists, whereas Thailand had more than a million.

Last year more than 1.5 million Chinese visited Malaysia in 2012, and forecast to grow. Indian tourist numbers last year were in excess of 650k and growing.

In conclusion I would guess the decision was to centralise marketing efforts in Bangkok for Thai & foreign visitors via traditional media and online promotions.

• Like 2

Shame really ...

Tourism Malaysia is about promoting Malaysia as a tourist destination, not Thailand.

Tourism Malaysia obviously doesn't see a dollar in the Russians, Chinese and Indian tourists - yet, that's all Phuket is attracting these days.

It seems Tourism Malaysia can see what the TAT can not see, or refuses to believe.

Total tourist numbers for Malaysia in 2012 was 25.3 million & growing, more than the current tourist numbers for Thailand. Some detail at http://corporate.tourism.gov.my/research.asp?page=facts_figures

In 2012 Malaysia received only 50 thousand Russian tourists, whereas Thailand had more than a million.

Last year more than 1.5 million Chinese visited Malaysia in 2012, and forecast to grow. Indian tourist numbers last year were in excess of 650k and growing.

In conclusion I would guess the decision was to centralise marketing efforts in Bangkok for Thai & foreign visitors via traditional media and online promotions.

Going off your figures: 50,000 + 1,500,000 + 650,000 = 2,200,000

25,300,000 - 2,200,000 = 23,100,000

So, it appears 23,100,000 tourist to Malaysia are from countries other than Russia, China and India. Also, I would suggest, many of the Chinese and Indians would be going to Kuala Lumpur for busines, rather than pleasure.

Gee, do you think some of those 23.1 million tourists would be the "high end" (big money spending) tourist that Phuket now lacks?

Why keep an office on Phuket that is promoting Malaysia to tourists that do not spend money? Sure, welcome them anyway, but why spend money targeting them?

In my opinion, the fact Phuket does target them indicates how desperate Phuket is for the numbers, with the false belief that "if they come - they will spend."

Edited by NamKangMan

These are the Malay Government ads they were pumping on Hong Kong TV when I was living there.

They are a bit catchy. Don't be surprised if you find yourself humming it later in the day.tongue.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHcgJEyl2I

One of them has an amusing scene where a young romantic causation couple are on a small wooden canoe , wearing typical overdressed tourist clothes with a small brown boy, no shirt, paddling them along in the back..............

Maybe they realize that the type of tourists attracted to Phuket are not going to be attracted to Malaysia.

We do not have the tourist population or expat population here in Chiang Mai but the ones that are here would be more receptive to the idea of a tour in Malaysia.

Maybe we do have the an ex pat community big enough for a small office.

I have to admit I would be dropping in to see what they had to offer. We have been to KL and would like to have a week there but are really short on the other attractions they have to offer.

Right now I am wrestling with the idea of where to take my son when he comes to visit for a month. He says he would like more time on the sea and tourist attractions, He has been here before and last year we were in Krabi. He liked it but definatly not what he has in mind. He does not drink or drug so that takes a lot out of Pattaya and Phuket. I was thinking of Hui Hin or Cha-am. One year we took him to Bali. Maybe once I get this year sorted out I can start researching on Malaysia.

We have talked about a little time in Lao but that would be just a short time four days. Partially because he has been into Burma and Cambodia already. Ha there is an idea Cambodia has a sea side town. With tourist attractions I think.

Did people reacting here to the closing of the office in all places outside of Bangkok even read the OP?

I presume the same article was also published in all other Thai Visa regional forums where an office is closing?

Did people reacting here to the closing of the office in all places outside of Bangkok even read the OP?

I presume the same article was also published in all other Thai Visa regional forums where an office is closing?

I presume not, as it was a Phuket Gazette article. And of course why would people actually read: Tourism Malaysia announced today that it will close its Phuket office and all other offices outside of Bangkok by the end of this month.? It would interfere with their constant Phuket bashing at every opportunity!

Maybe they realize that the type of tourists attracted to Phuket are not going to be attracted to Malaysia.

We do not have the tourist population or expat population here in Chiang Mai but the ones that are here would be more receptive to the idea of a tour in Malaysia.

Maybe we do have the an ex pat community big enough for a small office.

I have to admit I would be dropping in to see what they had to offer. We have been to KL and would like to have a week there but are really short on the other attractions they have to offer.

Right now I am wrestling with the idea of where to take my son when he comes to visit for a month. He says he would like more time on the sea and tourist attractions, He has been here before and last year we were in Krabi. He liked it but definatly not what he has in mind. He does not drink or drug so that takes a lot out of Pattaya and Phuket. I was thinking of Hui Hin or Cha-am. One year we took him to Bali. Maybe once I get this year sorted out I can start researching on Malaysia.

We have talked about a little time in Lao but that would be just a short time four days. Partially because he has been into Burma and Cambodia already. Ha there is an idea Cambodia has a sea side town. With tourist attractions I think.

Cast an eye over Vietnam. A long coastline with many nice beaches and very affordable.

• Like 1

I presume not, as it was a Phuket Gazette article. And of course why would people actually read: Tourism Malaysia announced today that it will close its Phuket office and all other offices outside of Bangkok by the end of this month.? It would interfere with their constant Phuket bashing at every opportunity!

Well, you could hardly say the island is being well managed, could you???? :)

Well, you could hardly say the island is being well managed, could you???? smile.png

What does your comment have to do with all Malaysian Tourism Offices other than Bangkok closing?

• Like 1

Well, you could hardly say the island is being well managed, could you???? smile.png

What does your comment have to do with all Malaysian Tourism Offices other than Bangkok closing?

I'm simply saying they most probably couldn't be bothered marketing to the current demographic of tourist that Phuket is now attracting.

If Phuket was properly managed, perhaps the lucrative western market would still be the predominant demographic here, and therefore, they may have kept their office open here.

I'm simply saying they most probably couldn't be bothered marketing to the current demographic of tourist that Phuket is now attracting.

If Phuket was properly managed, perhaps the lucrative western market would still be the predominant demographic here, and therefore, they may have kept their office open here.

And if you would have bothered to read the OP you would know that that has nothing to do with why they are leaving.

Is anyone hearing the wakeup call in Phuket???

It is possible that the insurgents or muslims or whatever you choose to call them are hearing what is going on and may move north as expected now because they use chaos and states of decline as a cover for encroachment. Take a look at Detroit.

Shame really ...

Correct. They are trying to attract mainstream tourists to visit Malaysia. And they've apparently determined that trying to do this in Phuket is a waste of time and money.

Edited by marell

Is anyone hearing the wakeup call in Phuket???

It is possible that the insurgents or muslims or whatever you choose to call them are hearing what is going on and may move north as expected now because they use chaos and states of decline as a cover for encroachment. Take a look at Detroit.

?? Many muslim insurgents in Detroit?

Shame really ...

Correct. They are trying to attract mainstream tourists to visit Malaysia. And they've apparently determined that trying to do this in Phuket is a waste of time and money.

Exactly.

And they are right IMO. There is no point in an office here, just as I see no point in a TAT office in Melakka, Kota Bahru, Penang, etc., etc. 1 in KL should be more than enough.

It was viable for them for 13 years. What's changed???? In my opinion, the demographics of the tourists that Phuket now attracts is the main reason.

They could have kept the Bangkok and Phuket office.

And they are right IMO. There is no point in an office here, just as I see no point in a TAT office in Melakka, Kota Bahru, Penang, etc., etc. 1 in KL should be more than enough.

It was viable for them for 13 years. What's changed???? In my opinion, the demographics of the tourists that Phuket now attracts is the main reason.

They could have kept the Bangkok and Phuket office.

Let me guess, you still use a travel agent? Who ever knew there even was a Tourism Malaysia Office in Phuket before it was announced it was closing? Did you? Did you ever go there to see what services were offered?