A Beauty In Phuket

thaigerd

seen this morning at Nickey's Handle Bar:

IMG_0267.jpg

One of the Harley guys had a big sticker on his back: BLUES FACTORY PATTAYA

I,ve asked him: Excuse me are you Dave from Pattaya?

No he was'nt. But ********* arrogant. Sorry Sir from Hua Hin for asking you!!!

Not a great advertisement for the Blues Factory! The prick probably had it trucked in. Probably doesn't even know how to ride!

I just met a nice couple who rode up from KL on a nice Harley. They aren't all pricks!

Not a great advertisement for the Blues Factory! The prick probably had it trucked in. Probably doesn't even know how to ride!

I just met a nice couple who rode up from KL on a nice Harley. They aren't all pricks!

Please don't take me wrong!

I do not think they are all pricks, most of them are funny guys. Met some Thais at a gasoline station just arriving from BKK with great Harleys.

I wish them all a secure ride back home!!!

Gerd

Kao Jai.

The picture you posted looks like a poser bike( I agree she looks nice). Trucked in to show off. From your description the owner in on a head trip in lala land.

There are tons of cool machines around right with some real people riding who love to ride.

I went down to OTOP on Friday night to have a look around.

Bunch of poxy overweight weekend riders with their pathetic 'uniform' of cowboy boots, black jeans, black t-shirt, useless leather waistcoat (with stupid boy-scout style buttons added) and sunglasses at 9:00 pm. <deleted>.

The majority of the bikes were nothing to look at, more boring Hardley Abletoos with the standard Harley catalogue aftermarket parts. A few custom bikes, nothing eye-opening.

I cannot fathom how Harley with over 100 years experience can still produce such huge capacity engines with such feeble HP, and don't talk to me about torque; if I want to move my entire village and a week's shopping I'll use a diesel pick-up, not a bike. Give me a modern, light-weight sportbike anyday.

Before I get flamed I'd like to mention that I have owned Harleys before. The last one was a Sportster custom and I spent a lot to go to a stage 3 engine kit and it was still a tractor to ride. Crap handling, crap riding position, crap engineering (and mine was made in Germany!)

Current ride is a stock '95 900cc Fireblade and it is what motorcycling is supposed to be about: light, fast, exciting and sure-footed even with the 16 inch front wheel.

I have ridden Buells and they are also pure crap. Low rpm red-line and horrible handling and woeful gearboxes. HD motorcycles and engines should go extinct like the dinosaurs they are.

The coolest thing about Phuket Tractor Week was the collection of 50s and 60s Vespas and Lambrettas that were on show imho.

:o It is one thing to ride a Harley but do we need all these dickheads riding around Phuket wearing motorbike gang colours. Wearing leather jackets in 35 degree weather. Give me a break.

Maybe they don't realize 90% of people are laughing at them. Its like the guys going around with Phuket board-riders on their t-shirts, like they are out surfing monster swells everyday. :D

:D It is one thing to ride a Harley but do we need all these dickheads riding around Phuket wearing motorbike gang colours. Wearing leather jackets in 35 degree weather. Give me a break.

Maybe they don't realize 90% of people are laughing at them. Its like the guys going around with Phuket board-riders on their t-shirts, like they are out surfing monster swells everyday. :D

Don't let your preconceived stereotypes throw you. Most of these guys/gals wearing M/C gang colors are upper middle class people from Singapore an Malaysia. They are having a good time spending their money in Phuket.

They are much better behaved than some of the drunken cnuts from AU or the UK! From what I've seen!

These modern biker clubs contribute to society by helping orphans and other philanthropic causes.

So what if they dress different from you! :o

:D It is one thing to ride a Harley but do we need all these dickheads riding around Phuket wearing motorbike gang colours. Wearing leather jackets in 35 degree weather. Give me a break.

What do you have them wear then?...a T-shirt that typically doesn't cover the stomach? :o

Bunch of poxy overweight weekend riders with their pathetic 'uniform' of cowboy boots, black jeans, black t-shirt, useless leather waistcoat (with stupid boy-scout style buttons added) and sunglasses at 9:00 pm. <deleted>.

I bet you would not say that to the guy in the corner of the photo (the one wearing the Bandido's colours) ! !

Don't let your preconceived stereotypes throw you. Most of these guys/gals wearing M/C gang colors are upper middle class people from Singapore an Malaysia. They are having a good time spending their money in Phuket.

They are much better behaved than some of the drunken cnuts from AU or the UK! From what I've seen!

Don't tell me... you're a upper middleclass biker ..! :o

totster :D

Don't tell me... you're a upper middleclass biker ..! :o

totster :D

No I wouldn't call myself a biker. I'm a motorcycle rider! My moto of choice would be a BMW GS series. Though right now I'm just a honda dream driver dreaming about BMWs.

I've got several acquaintances who are middleclass "bikers". They get together dress up and go for short rides on their 30K+USD machines dripping with chrome and leather doodads.

They often make parades and raise money for orphans. They like their "tough guy" image but in reality they are mostly a bunch of "pootty cats"! (as in sylvester):D

Edited by kasi

IMG_0267.jpg

I was standing looking at that bike the same day you were but in the afternoon. Very nice.

As for the guy with my logo, he's a mate of my partner in The Blues Factory, they decided to get "colours" caled The Blues Factory MC, personally i think its pathetic and refuse to wear it.

Your right though he can be an arrogant bastard and behaved that way for most of the trip sorry about that, it pisses me off because the guys wearing my logo and acting that way, as said its not a good ad for my bar.

The guy in question rode with us from Hua Hin (we rode from Pattaya), no bikes on trucks :D

He's bit big headed because he has a custom 1900cc Harley worth over 2.5 million thats won a few shows. :o

IMG_0267.jpg

I was standing looking at that bike the same day you were but in the afternoon. Very nice.

As for the guy with my logo, he's a mate of my partner in The Blues Factory, they decided to get "colours" caled The Blues Factory MC, personally i think its pathetic and refuse to wear it.

Your right though he can be an arrogant bastard and behaved that way for most of the trip sorry about that, it pisses me off because the guys wearing my logo and acting that way, as said its not a good ad for my bar.

The guy in question rode with us from Hua Hin (we rode from Pattaya), no bikes on trucks :D

He's bit big headed because he has a custom 1900cc Harley worth over 2.5 million thats won a few shows. :o

Thanks for your reply Dave!

So I wasn't that wrong about the guy, I feel sorry for him.

And don't worry he told everybody around looking at his bike that he paid 3mio for it.

I've told my wife already that(unfortunately :D ) I'll have to go to Pattaya next month for a very important meeting..........

Hope to meet you in your factory than.

Regards,

Gerd

These modern biker clubs contribute to society by helping orphans and other philanthropic causes.

So what if they dress different from you! :o

Keep your eyes peeled for a 1960 norton 600 dommy all original and the wife on her 1961 Matchless 650 G12csr, both not the fastest bikes on the road, but still great bikes for touring both done over 300,000miles and still look the business, hope to be in phuket in july if my operation goes okay, would love to post a couple of piccies but I cant work it out how to do it,Remember they only invented harleys so pillocks would not ride Brit Bikes :D:D Nignoy

Keep your eyes peeled for a 1960 norton 600 dommy all original and the wife on her 1961 Matchless 650 G12csr, both not the fastest bikes on the road, but still great bikes for touring both done over 300,000miles and still look the business, hope to be in phuket in july if my operation goes okay, would love to post a couple of piccies but I cant work it out how to do it,Remember they only invented harleys so pillocks would not ride Brit Bikes :D:o Nignoy

Now THOSE would be worth seeing :D

Keep your eyes peeled for a 1960 norton 600 dommy all original and the wife on her 1961 Matchless 650 G12csr, both not the fastest bikes on the road, but still great bikes for touring both done over 300,000miles and still look the business, hope to be in phuket in july if my operation goes okay, would love to post a couple of piccies but I cant work it out how to do it,Remember they only invented harleys so pillocks would not ride Brit Bikes :D:o Nignoy

Hope we dont disappoint then, have my operation on the 15th of may, hope to be back on my feet and mobile by the middle of june, hope to be at a a Brit Bikes Treff in singapore end of june, but at the moment the spirit is willing but the flesh is knackered :D Nignoy

Keep your eyes peeled for a 1960 norton 600 dommy all original and the wife on her 1961 Matchless 650 G12csr, both not the fastest bikes on the road, but still great bikes for touring both done over 300,000miles and still look the business, hope to be in phuket in july if my operation goes okay, would love to post a couple of piccies but I cant work it out how to do it,Remember they only invented harleys so pillocks would not ride Brit Bikes :D:D Nignoy

Hope we dont disappoint then, have my operation on the 15th of may, hope to be back on my feet and mobile by the middle of june, hope to be at a a Brit Bikes Treff in singapore end of june, but at the moment the spirit is willing but the flesh is knackered :D Nignoy

Best of wishes for the surgery. Please post something up here if you do get those classic motorcycles to Phuket, as I said before, they would definitely be worth seeing. :D:D

PS: If you need someone to, err, "exercise" them while you are incapacitated I *might* be able to find a volunteer :o:D

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking bike. It's a shame the owner/driver was a jerk. I almost died on my bike back OCT. 16, 1978 when I first got to Vegas. (some dates you just never forget)

I've seen how they drive in LOS. Not sure if I would want to drive a car never mind a bike.

Here in Vegas they just don't see you! Then you have some that are drunk or just naturally stupid and they don't care. It is a shame. Been riding since 12 . Started in the dirt. Doc said on the last one that I might not survive another wreck. I wish the owner all the joy and happiness that comes from tooling down the road on a beauty like that.

I must admit that while I enjoy playing in the UK with my Triumph Thunderbird (one of the ones from the 90s so it's more comfortable, reliable etc than the Brit bikes I had years ago) I wouldn't be keen on riding regularly around Phuket. Too many morons in trucks with too much Chang on board.

I must admit that while I enjoy playing in the UK with my Triumph Thunderbird (one of the ones from the 90s so it's more comfortable, reliable etc than the Brit bikes I had years ago) I wouldn't be keen on riding regularly around Phuket. Too many morons in trucks with too much Chang on board.
thats where we are a bit different mate we have had our bikes from new and ride them every chance we get, of course they have their quirks and oil leaks, but how many of the modern bikes will still be running in 40 years time or even be remembered,I had the privilige in 1970 to test drive the first honda Goldwing in europe for the german motorcycle magazine Das Motorad, I was offered the job by honda purely and simply because they had seen me and the mrs with our bikes at a biker treff at the nurburgring!!you can keep your computer managed 0 to 200 klicks in 2second rice cookers , give me our old 0 to 90 in 3 hours thumpers anytime, and we wear Belstaff Rambler suits to, no leather gear for us,Keep on Rockin :o Nignoy

thats where we are a bit different mate we have had our bikes from new and ride them every chance we get, of course they have their quirks and oil leaks, but how many of the modern bikes will still be running in 40 years time or even be remembered,I had the privilige in 1970 to test drive the first honda Goldwing in europe for the german motorcycle magazine Das Motorad, I was offered the job by honda purely and simply because they had seen me and the mrs with our bikes at a biker treff at the nurburgring!!you can keep your computer managed 0 to 200 klicks in 2second rice cookers , give me our old 0 to 90 in 3 hours thumpers anytime, and we wear Belstaff Rambler suits to, no leather gear for us,Keep on Rockin :o Nignoy

Good luck to you, mate. I am pretty much a fair weather biker nowadays, I have to admit. I'd still rather have a Triumph than most Japanese jobs, though.

Believe it or not, I was waiting behind the very same bike at some traffic lights in Hua Hin last Sunday afternoon. I was sitting on a hired poxy Honda Wave. The guy was wearing a Blues Factory jacket, but didn't bother asking him about it as he looked nothing like Dave :o

Soz in advance to all the Harley fans, but didn't take a photo either - just can't see the point in Harleys. Noisy, heavy, slow and oversized.

Believe it or not, I was waiting behind the very same bike at some traffic lights in Hua Hin last Sunday afternoon. I was sitting on a hired poxy Honda Wave. The guy was wearing a Blues Factory jacket, but didn't bother asking him about it as he looked nothing like Dave :D

Soz in advance to all the Harley fans, but didn't take a photo either - just can't see the point in Harleys. Noisy, heavy, slow and oversized.

Here is his bike- why he has to wear my logo is beyond me?

DSCF4758.sized.jpg

My partners bike.

DSCF4764.sized.jpg

They are both considerably lighter than standard Harleys and the top one is 108 cubic inch which is about 1900cc and is very very powerful (i've raced against it on a 2004 twin cam).

:o

They are both considerably lighter than standard Harleys and the top one is 108 cubic inch which is about 1900cc and is very very powerful (i've raced against it on a 2004 twin cam).

Being lighter than a standard harley is about the same as being lighter than a standard farm tractor.

Have you ever put them up against a modern sport bike?

Harley are so far behind the times it is not even funny any more. They have released a drag bike, 30K dollars for this thing with Screamin' Eagle parts all over it and the best it can do in stock form is something around 9.5 second for the 1/4 mile. This is a drag bike, utterly useless for road use.

Now, go buy one of the latest Jap sport bikes and you can hit ~9.8 (if you have the skills) for the 1/4 and still ride it home, for something like 1/2 the price.

Nignoy had it right when he said that he doesn't care about acceleration, he is riding a bike that was cutting edge when it was sold, it's a true classic. I ride a '95 Firelade.

Being lighter than a standard harley is about the same as being lighter than a standard farm tractor.

Harley are so far behind the times it is not even funny any more. They have released a drag bike, 30K dollars for this thing with Screamin' Eagle parts all over it and the best it can do in stock form is something around 9.5 second for the 1/4 mile. This is a drag bike, utterly useless for road use.

Now, go buy one of the latest Jap sport bikes and you can hit ~9.8 (if you have the skills) for the 1/4 and still ride it home, for something like 1/2 the price.

Nignoy had it right when he said that he doesn't care about acceleration, he is riding a bike that was cutting edge when it was sold, it's a true classic. I ride a '95 Firelade.

Dude, you gotta stop comparing Harley's to sport bikes. They are two different things designed to do different things. Harley's aren't made for racing, they are show and and endurence. Travel for miles on Harley. All the riders I ever knew said that a true rider made his Hog. I watched many of them get the parts bit by bit and construct them and then to the detailing work. They are meant to look good. Like lowriders, these cars are made to take corners at 300mph in 2.3 seconds. They are made to like nice and cruise. You want fast, fine ride a rocket. But don't smash Harleys cause they don't perform like sport bike.

A man told me once "it's not how fast you get there, it's how cool you look getting there."

I never really got the buzz about Harleys either. My friend's just bought an Agusta F4, now thats a real beauty. :o

f4.jpg

That's more like it. Quality! :D

Dude, you gotta stop comparing Harley's to sport bikes. They are two different things designed to do different things. Harley's aren't made for racing, they are show and and endurence. Travel for miles on Harley. All the riders I ever knew said that a true rider made his Hog. I watched many of them get the parts bit by bit and construct them and then to the detailing work. They are meant to look good. Like lowriders, these cars are made to take corners at 300mph in 2.3 seconds. They are made to like nice and cruise. You want fast, fine ride a rocket. But don't smash Harleys cause they don't perform like sport bike.

A man told me once "it's not how fast you get there, it's how cool you look getting there."

Dude, good argument :D Didn't know about the popularity of custom-built bikes.

Personally, I've always preferred 4 wheels to 2, especially when they look as good as this:

AM%20DB9%20VOLANTE_02_1280.jpg

Agreed :D , The old "Jap bikes are better than Harleys" arguement is getting really boring. :o

Same as comparing a Lamborgini to a Rolls.

Edited by davethailand

Dude, you gotta stop comparing Harley's to sport bikes. They are two different things designed to do different things. Harley's aren't made for racing, they are show and and endurence.

Endurance? Are you kidding? Harleys are without a doubt the most high maintanence bikes on the planet. The service intervals are pathetically short.

Travel for miles on Harley. All the riders I ever knew said that a true rider made his Hog. I watched many of them get the parts bit by bit and construct them and then to the detailing work.

Fair comment, but I want a bike that is ready to go "out-of-the-box". If I want a Meccano set I'll buy one! If I spend the money that a Harley costs I expect considerably more performance out of the huge engine than Harley sees fit to provide unless you shell out major bucks on aftermarket bits.

They are meant to look good. Like lowriders, these cars are made to take corners at 300mph in 2.3 seconds. They are made to like nice and cruise. You want fast, fine ride a rocket. But don't smash Harleys cause they don't perform like sport bike.

Why not? If you read Harley brochures they are full of guff about the performance of the bikes. It simply is not true. If Harley want to claim it then I can refute it.

And as to the point about cruising, how many Harley owners here in Phuket do you think have ever covered more than 100km or so on their bikes in a day? For their motorcycling requirements a Honda Wave 125 is more than sufficient (and a helluva lot cheaper)!

Well that is subjective, but I maintain that lumbering along on something whose design has not changed much in 50 odd years does not look cool. It looks like you are trying to buy in to a mythical "American dream, iron horse-easy rider" machismo which is utterly without logic or justification.

Ah, whatever! It's all just my opinion and I am probably wrong.

I'll back off now and wish all my 2-wheel travelling brethren fair weather and good rides, no matter what your choice of bike may be. :o:D