Is This TEFL Course genuine?

Some of these TEFL courses are just rubbish, you learn nothing but some are very good.

Twelve years ago I did mine with TEFL International in Ban Phe. It was a very good course and I recommended to a friend a couple of years ago. He was also very happy as they do run a great course. He is Dutch and very committed to teaching English so if he liked the course, most others would as well.

Also, as far as I know it was the first accredited TEFL course in Thailand.

Edited by schondie

I would just like to point out that the Thai MOE does not recognise ANY TEFL course short of a graduate diploma in teaching...

Not true.

Our TEFL curriculum was inspected and approved by the Thai Ministry of Education. It is now attached to our school license. This is permission from the Thai MoE to run our TEFL program.

http://seetefl.com/tefl-permission-thai-moe.pdf

The school licensee on this document is my wife.

It is true that very few Thai-based TEFL courses have permission from the Thai Ministry of Education to run TEFL courses.

John Quinn

Hi John. It would have been nicer if you would have quoted 'otherstuff1957' correctly.

I would just like to point out that the Thai MOE does not recognise ANY TEFL course short of a graduate diploma in teaching, and having a TEFL certificate will not help you get a teacher's license or a waiver for a teacher's license in Thailand

And 'otherstuff1957' is right. A TEFL/ TESOL or CELTA certificate is not a part of any requirements by The Teachers' Council of Thailand. The same applies to Immigration and Labour.

Edited by aidenai

According to whois the website was created August 9th, 2013 which probably explains why nobody has heard of them. And therefore it's quite amazing that they already have a couple of testimonials from satisfied 'customers'.

The registration name has been hidden behind a proxy.

There is no evidence of accreditation on their website.

There is no list of training dates.

Apart from rambling descriptions there is no hard evidence of who they are (owners, trainers, location, photos etc).

Only hidden files and you can shovel that thing up your chimney.-biggrin.png

I would just like to point out that the Thai MOE does not recognise ANY TEFL course short of a graduate diploma in teaching...

Not true.

Our TEFL curriculum was inspected and approved by the Thai Ministry of Education. It is now attached to our school license. This is permission from the Thai MoE to run our TEFL program.

http://seetefl.com/tefl-permission-thai-moe.pdf

The school licensee on this document is my wife.

It is true that very few Thai-based TEFL courses have permission from the Thai Ministry of Education to run TEFL courses.

John Quinn

Dear Mr. John Quinn,

You should also mention that a TEFL doesn't mean anything, beside the fact that the TCT ( teacher's Council of Thailand) do not recognize such a hard to get award to teach English. But it might be good for you and your wife's business.

A TOEIC, make-able in Bangkok means more to them. Costs only 1,500 baht.=wai2.gif

According to whois the website was created August 9th, 2013 which probably explains why nobody has heard of them. And therefore it's quite amazing that they already have a couple of testimonials from satisfied 'customers'.

The registration name has been hidden behind a proxy.

That's right. The domain name was registered on 9 August 2013 only. Meaning, it's brand new!

The registrant's data is not behind a proxy. It's a privacy option when leasing a domain name. Currently 14,327 domain names by that registrar make use of its privacy option. Anti-spam you know!

• Like 1

Hi John. It would have been nicer if you would have quoted 'otherstuff1957' correctly.

I would just like to point out that the Thai MOE does not recognise ANY TEFL course short of a graduate diploma in teaching, and having a TEFL certificate will not help you get a teacher's license or a waiver for a teacher's license in Thailand

And 'otherstuff1957' is right. A TEFL/ TESOL or CELTA certificate is not a part of any requirements by The Teachers' Council of Thailand. The same applies to Immigration and Labour.

I read his post as 2 separate ideas: first, no TEFL course is recognized by the MoE, and second, a TEFL isn't required in order to obtain a TCT teacher license or waiver. I agree with his second point so I didn't address it. I disagree with his first point. I wrote 3 dots after the quote to indicate it wasn't the full quote.

While they might be excellent English teachers, they should have consulted a lawyer before they decided to put ASEAN in their name. That name is copyrighted and they are likely to be sued.

Yep.

ASEAN Name

Guidelines on the Use of the Name "ASEAN"

1. The Name "ASEAN" refers to the "Association of Southeast Asian Nations".
  2. The Name "ASEAN" is the reserved copyright of ASEAN.

A. Use of the Name "ASEAN"

1. The Name "ASEAN" shall be used in a manner that promotes ASEAN and its purposes and principles. It shall not be used for political propaganda or for activities that harm the dignity of ASEAN.

http://www.asean.org/asean/about-asean/asean-name

While they might be excellent English teachers, they should have consulted a lawyer before they decided to put ASEAN in their name. That name is copyrighted and they are likely to be sued.

Copyrighted in Thailand? Who's going to sue them? Just about every student who studies in Thailand uses photocopied resources, that are photocopied in little shops just outside the entrance of every school and university here, without the permission of the owner of the copyright.

Copyrighted in Thailand? Who's going to sue them? Just about every student who studies in Thailand uses photocopied resources, that are photocopied in little shops just outside the entrance of every school and university here, without the permission of the owner of the copyright.

I do see your point Loaded but but copying books is one thing, using their name to make money is another. On the link that was provided earlier, http://www.asean.org/asean/about-asean/asean-name, they are risking a lot by using that name. If they are forced to change their name, they might have to do their entire accreditation process all over again with a new name.

I do see your point Loaded but but copying books is one thing, using their name to make money is another. On the link that was provided earlier, http://www.asean.org/asean/about-asean/asean-name, they are risking a lot by using that name. If they are forced to change their name, they might have to do their entire accreditation process all over again with a new name.

aseantefl.com are 2 weeks old. I don't think they have any accreditation.

This argument comes up once a week with plenty of know-it-alls giving poor advice.

To be clear

1. the MoE does not monitor TEFL courses in Thailand

2. The TCT does not make a TEFL cert a requirement for a teachers' licence

3. Regardless of what the TCT etc state, it's the recruiter that counts and they will prefer to see some legitimate TEFL training on your CV

4. Without a proper TEFL cert you will be limited in your opportunities to teach in other countries.

I'm surprised at the number of people entering the ESL professional without bothering to get any formal training, as well as those already in it who insist 'you don't need a TEFL'. (I'm glad my kids aren't taught by them).

There is no such thing as an 'official' TEFL, but there are many good TEFL courses out there which are respected by recruiters, you should do your homework on which ones are good.

SEE TEFL is one of the respectable ones.

The ASEANTEFL mentioned here is new and looking at their site they seem to lack credibility, for one, it doesn't even say clearly where the course is run.

Ghastly website - too wide, wrong links, and full of grammatical errors. Hardly a recommendation for their organisation. "DATES AND FEE'S"? "We recommend the standard 30 day tourist-on-arrival visa can be used to complete the course"? "please don't worry if we accept you"? &c. &c..

Incidentally, the picture of a teacher at a whiteboard also appears on bridgetefl.com. I rather doubt it's of an actual teacher at ASEANTEFL. Other pictures are similarly pirated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some of these TEFL courses are just rubbish, you learn nothing but some are very good.

Twelve years ago I did mine with TEFL International in Ban Phe. It was a very good course and I recommended to a friend a couple of years ago. He was also very happy as they do run a great course. He is Dutch and very committed to teaching English so if he liked the course, most others would as well.

Only the Thai Ministry of Education, in coordination with the Teachers Council of Thailand, possesses the authority to authorize teacher work permits, and most employing schools require EFL/ESL teaching qualifications. Regarding such qualifications, the MoE Teacher Admissions office in Bangkok accepts and acknowledges the following 3 certificates only:

• ONE TESOL Certificate
  • ONE TESL Certificate
  • ONE TEFL Certificate (Text and Talk)
Edited by Diverse

Only the Thai Ministry of Education, in coordination with the Teachers Council of Thailand, possesses the authority to authorize teacher work permits, and most employing schools require EFL/ESL teaching qualifications. Regarding such qualifications, the MoE Teacher Admissions office in Bangkok accepts and acknowledges the following 3 certificates only:

• ONE TESOL Certificate
  • ONE TESL Certificate

This is a cut and paste from Text and Talk's website. It's also not true.

There's not even a license number or a copy of the school license on their website to support this?

• ONE TESOL Certificate
  • ONE TESL Certificate

Oh dear. Please close this topic mods. It's ancient, and is now responsible for the least accurate statement of fact on TV in the last week. Practically no 'employing schools' require those qualifications.. This reads like an outright lie, although I must be confused. xmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ic.olLdkGnI3k

• Like 1