Obtaining A Thai Motorbike License..

Totster

ok...

According to UK law I can only ride a motorbike (moped) up to 50cc (or 50km/h) on my full driving license.

To ride a motorbike up to 125cc I will have to take the compulsory basic training [CBT].

To ride a larger engined bike, another test pass is required.

My question is this...

When getting the Thai driving license using my UK driving license.. will I be able to get the motorbike license also ? Will they check enough to see my entitlement is only up to 50cc.. or won't it matter ?

totster :o

When I changed my Australian (N.S.W) Lisence to Thai, they also checked the endorsement on my international permit.

You should have the stamp for both Cars and Motorbikes. Otherwise you may have to pass the test.

If you can get someone to give a polite explanation, and maybe print out the UK Law, you may be able to get the Motorbike lisence also.

You have to use an International Driving Permit (IDP) alongside your UK license when applying over here, or at least that's what I had to do in Chiang Mai. There will be stamps against each entitlement on the IDP - ie car, bike, truck, etc - and if the AA/RAC stamp you as having passed your bike test, then all you'll have to do here is the reaction/sight tests and no theory/practical, although they're nothing to worry about anyway. To get the IDP, I simply sent my license off to the AA along with a copy of my passport, but I think you have to sign in person down at the post office now - about £4 for a one-year IDP. Also, tick the option that you will be visiting Thailand when you apply. This little book then shows the Thai's that you have passed the necessary tests in your home country and together with the IDP will give the necessary collateral. The UK license won't count on it's own.

So, to answer your question, you won't be able to get a Thai bike license and avoid the theory/practical tests as the standard UK 50cc entitlement carries no weight here, or not when I applied anyway.

Note: - there is a way around this. As mentioned before, these little stamps the AA or RAC put on the IDP are nothing spectacular and wouldn't take much to copy. It's only a year thing anyway. A friend also applied for his bike license the same time as me and he doesn't have a UK bike license, although somebody accidentally stamped his IDP saying that he had one, so the Thais carried on and gave him a license even after checking his UK one saving him a lot of time and effort.

will I be able to get the motorbike license also ?

totster :o

I think the answer is no, unless you UK licence shows that you have passed the 125 cc tests in UK.

(there are 2 seperate licences here in Thailand for cars and bikes.)

Assuming that you have not passed the UK bike test you will have to take the Thai motorcycle test that involves being segregated from the locals for the written part of the test that is available in English (in Khon Kaen at least) Then you have to go outside and steer your machine through a few cones etc etc and you will get your licence. Unless you fall off!

You have to use an International Driving Permit (IDP) alongside your UK license when applying over here, or at least that's what I had to do in Chiang Mai. There will be stamps against each entitlement on the IDP - ie car, bike, truck, etc - and if the AA/RAC stamp you as having passed your bike test, then all you'll have to do here is the reaction/sight tests and no theory/practical, although they're nothing to worry about anyway. To get the IDP, I simply sent my license off to the AA along with a copy of my passport, but I think you have to sign in person down at the post office now - about £4 for a one-year IDP. Also, tick the option that you will be visiting Thailand when you apply. This little book then shows the Thai's that you have passed the necessary tests in your home country and together with the IDP will give the necessary collateral. The UK license won't count on it's own.

So, to answer your question, you won't be able to get a Thai bike license and avoid the theory/practical tests as the standard UK 50cc entitlement carries no weight here, or not when I applied anyway.

Note: - there is a way around this. As mentioned before, these little stamps the AA or RAC put on the IDP are nothing spectacular and wouldn't take much to copy. It's only a year thing anyway. A friend also applied for his bike license the same time as me and he doesn't have a UK bike license, although somebody accidentally stamped his IDP saying that he had one, so the Thais carried on and gave him a license even after checking his UK one saving him a lot of time and effort.

Interestingly enough when I went to get my car and motorcycle licence from chatuchak even though I had my IDP they were not interested to see it. They only wanted my uk license, maybe they are aware of people trying to get a m/c by having a false stamp in the IDP? Lucky for me I passed the uk m/c test (before they changed the rules so I only had to pass on a 125cc and got unlimited license) so no problem.

Besides the IDP isn't valid without the original license so even if you did have the endorsement in IDP but your home country license doesn't....it stills means your driving without a license...best hope you don't have an accident........

Edited by moonoi