Importing a 2007 CRF250R to Thailand

Tmymaimee

Not sure the best approach. I have 2 2007 CF250Rs in Canada that are in decent shape. They are worth about $2000 each on the used market in Canada.

I am planning on shipping a container next year to Thailand and could throw the bikes inside that and then pay whatever taxes / duties are owing at Thai customs.

Or I could sell them both in Canada and look for used in Thailand. I know the new ones are fuel injected and better suspension but I'm happy enough with the '07s.

So how does one calculate Thai import tax on used motorcross bikes?

Secondly, how many place are there around Pattaya / Rayong area for trail riding / motorcross tracks or do most people just trailer the bikes north?

Last question (sorry, I know is long). I've gone riding in other countries in Asia but on locally rented bikes. Anyone try trailering their own motorcross bikes to Laos for trail riding? Its not like there are any license places or registrations so I have no idea the regulations.

Thanks...

It will cost close to 200% of the bike's value in import charges- a two grand bike will cost four grand to bring in, plus shipping, homologation certification, etc- that's if you want to do it legally- you can also take a chance and ship it disassembled, but it will never have a proper registration.

As far as I know this info is current:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

http://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/importing-motorcycles-into-thailand/motorcycle-import

Edited by RubberSideDown

you can also take a chance and ship it disassembled, but it will never have a proper registration.

I dont think a CRF 250R could ever have proper registration given it is a motocross machine.

It could at least have registration paperwork that would allow it to be sold legally- it could be insured as well (if off-road machines are eligible for insurance- I really don't know).

I've seen them close to US$3K for a similar age, not many come up but they are around.

I'd say the simplest thing would be to sell it in Canada, and then use the cash to buy another one here.

The MX scene here is growing for what it's worth, so I think more models seem to be available second hand than a few years ago?

But the importing/tax/shipping thing would definitely be a painful and lengthy experience.

you can also take a chance and ship it disassembled, but it will never have a proper registration.

I dont think a CRF 250R could ever have proper registration given it is a motocross machine.

It could at least have registration paperwork that would allow it to be sold legally- it could be insured as well (if off-road machines are eligible for insurance- I really don't know).
That would be import paperwork not registration.

That would be import paperwork not registration.

Can you legally operate or sell a motocross bike within Thailand that isn't registered? I realize the odds of having an issue are low, but I'm just curious as to what the law states- I don't think so- I've never dealt with an unregistered bike, though, but wouldn't they still have a green book? Is there a different law for off-road vehicles?

Actually you have to get permission from The Department of Commerce before you can legally import a motor vehicle into Thailand. A fella I met several months back as or had a MG-TD 50 something modell he imported from England it took 2 years to get permission and that was no tea money. He now gives talks on the ins and outs of that process.

I guess your looking for advice and I sense your enthusiasm and excitement but I wouldn't bother to calculate anything just to cut a long, long story short, a couple of guys have said already sell em and buy what you want here in Thailand.

With all the other stuff ! Yes ! and there's a motorcross thread.

Also taking your bikes where you want in a truck or trailer is possible going in and out of Thailand to Laos, so a search here can bring em up or start another thread.

I guess you have already got a lot of hoops and paper merry-go-rounds to get on with when you get here anyway so hope things go well and good luck.

First plenty of good trails to ride just outside of pattaya. You can not register this type of bike but its not needed for off road use. These bike seem to always be imported in parts and reassembled. I have seen them put together in a afternoon so no big deal. No way would i ship the frames with the engines. I also would have invoices for anything i shipped. I know you own them already but without invoces they will just estimate a high value.

Thanks for l the replies. I would be importing them through a Thai name as a "returning to Thailand Thai resident" exemption but I don't know if off road, unlicensed bikes are still considered "vehicles" for import tax purposes.

I have no interest in selling them in Thailand so I'm not concerned about resale paperwork. Just go out riding off-road with buddies that come visiting to experience "thai culture":).

Why the hell does the Thai government have to make everything so damn complicated for something so simple as motorcross bikes?

The thai government needs income so import tax and vat are used. Most countries around the world have these taxes.....It wont help if its in a thai name as bikes/autos will not fall under the out of the country for one year exemption...

when in rome you know? Disassemble and ship separately.