Non-Imm O for expat couple's spouse

Hi,

I've been going through various different accounts of what's needed for Non-Imm O Marriage visas but most refer obviously to Expat-Thai couples.

Our situation: Me, german, work permit since 4 years, Non-imm B multiple entry, regular income. She, french, currently on tourist, no regular income. We've recently got married and would like to now take advantage of being able to apply for a Non-Imm O for my spouse.

Best option obviously would be a multiple entry 12 month, but I assume this will need to be sorted out in home country.

1. For now could anyone state what the requirements usually are (e.g. Vientiane or Penang) for applying for a marriage Non-Imm O visa? Will there need to be a bank account statement showing regular income and if so is this 'shared' income or must be her income? Anything else extraordinary, apart from marriage certificate?

2.If we would get a 60 day Non-O can this be extended without problems from within Thailand (best in Chiang Mai)?

3.Also will the Non-O always be timed according to my current visa duration? E.g if my visa expires in February and we apply for a 12 month in January they will only grant until expiry of my visa?

Thanks for the help!

If you are on extension of stay based on employment.

She can get an extension of stay matching yours from Immigrations for 1.900 baht.

First step would be to convert her tourist visa to a non-O fro 2.000 baht.

From Police order 777/2551

2.20 In the case of a family member of an alien who has been permitted temporary stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this Order (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):
Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) Proof of family relationship;
(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto; or
(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or
(5) In the case of a parent, the said person shall be 50 years of age or over.

• Like 1

Are you making border runs every 90 days or doing 90 day reports to immigration?

If 90 day reports you are on an extension of stay not a visa. In this case your wife could also get an extension at immigration as your dependent. She would need to get a single entry 0 visa from any nearby embassy or consulate.

If you do have visa then she probably will not get a multiple entry O visa at any nearby location.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. And yes, you're correct I'm on an extension of stay based on my employment. Which seems to be in favour for us in this matter.

So her extension of stay would then match mine? Meaning if we can get a Multiple re-entry permit (like I have) she can come and go as she pleases for the duration of her extension of stay (which will match mine).

Then the question for requirements for getting the initial non-O remains: Does she need to prove regular income or do WE need to prove or is this not required at all?

You mention that you have "work permit since 4 years, Non-imm B multiple entry, regular income". The remaining question to be answered is whether you have an extension of stay for the reason of employment.

P.S. From your post made while I was writing mine I see that you have an extension and thus your wife can get the dependent extension.

Edited by Maestro
added postscript

No financial proof needed.

Just marriage certificate. If not in English or Thai it will need to be translated to Thai and certified by the MFA.

Copies of your passport pages including extension of stay stamp.

The same will be needed for the O visa at embassy and extension application.

If you are on extension of stay based on employment.

She can get an extension of stay matching yours from Immigrations for 1.900 baht.

First step would be to convert her tourist visa to a non-O fro 2.000 baht.

From Police order 777/2551

2.20 In the case of a family member of an alien who has been permitted temporary stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this Order (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Proof of family relationship;

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto; or

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, the said person shall be 50 years of age or over.

Depends maybe at which immigration office you are doing this.

But at Phuket Immigration you can not convert the TR60 to NON-IM for this purpose. ( and most immigration offices i believe )

Only when you go to an retirement extension you can do this via the step-up from TR60

No immigration offices do conversion to a immigrant visa entry for dependent extensions.

Dependent must get a single entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate.

Pattaya immigration even converts a visa waiver entry into a dependent extention!

No immigration offices do conversion to a immigrant visa entry for dependent extensions.

Pattaya immigration even converts a visa waiver entry into a dependent extention!

Fist time i hear this, Good to know.

Recently?

Many reports that even Bangkok will not do them.

They might do it in the process of converting to a non-immirgant based on retirement and a dependent. But I doubt if they will do it in case of converting based on being a dependent of someone who is working.

Normally they only do it for the retirement extension.

Phuket does not do it on any other extension, even not depended on retirement.

Is there any chance of doing this if you are not married but living together (without going back to your home country first)?

No dependence on basis of living together is not recognized, Only married with marriage certificate is accepted.

Is there any chance of doing this if you are not married but living together (without going back to your home country first)?

There is no visas or extensions of stay unless married you can get anywhere.

Thailand dose not recognize unwed partners.

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to check whether anyone has recent experience confirming this can still be done in Pattaya.

I am on a recent retirement extension, US passport based in BKK, but have not yet gone to the trouble of getting a dependent extension for my (under 50) UK spouse.

The options of getting my wife's non-o in Laos or other nearby countries sound like a huge hassle; I am not interested in long, boring journeys, hot tuk-tuk rides, and visa queues.

With that in mind, does anyone have recent confirmation that I can convert my wife's visa waiver to a non-o or dependent extension in Pattaya? I am assuming it can't be done in BKK based on info I've ascertained here, so we have not tried.

TIA

They do not do them.

She will have to go out for the non-o visa.

Fly to Penang to get the visa. Hand her passport with the required documents to an agent and pay them the fees. Then do what ever you want until the passport is returned the next day with the visa in it.

Thanks for the quick reply

Penang is not my favorite place, but beats the other alternatives. We are regularly in Singapore, but given the horror stories I have heard about that embassy, we have not attempted to get her non-O there.

We will also be in Portland (my original hometown) for holiday next month, and I understand we could potentially get her non-o there, but she is not a US citizen (UK / Phils) so based on their website it looks like it would be a troublesome (or impossible) process for non-US residents. Probably worth a try, though, so maybe I should contact their office.