Is there a limit in applying for an extension of tourist visa?

I was previously granted with a 60-day extension, as my husband is thai. Before my visa expired, I flew out of thailand . Now I am back here in Thailand with 30 day visa granted upon arrival. Married to a thai, I want a marriage visa, however, It was too late when i was informed I need 15 days before my visa expires for the application. Unfortunately, I only have few days left, I dont have other choice but to extend, but I am wondering if I can reapply for another 60 day extension?

It would of been better to of gone to any nearby Thai embassy or consulate and gotten a single entry non-o visa than just flying out and back to get 30days.

You can get another 60 day extension without a problem.

Then you can at any time up to 15 days before your extension expires go through the process of converting to a non important visa entry and then extension of stay showing the same documents for both. At most immigration offices this will mean 4 trips to immigration before your final stamp is done.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Just remember :

If you have a visa and leave Thailand you must get a "Rentry permit" before you leave TH.

If you do not have a "Rentry Permit" (single/multi) your visa will not be valid when you return.

A single rentry permit cost 1200 Bath and take about 30 min to get in Suvwarnabhumi airport.

• Like 1

It would of been better to of gone to any nearby Thai embassy or consulate and gotten a single entry non-o visa than just flying out and back to get 30days. You can get another 60 day extension without a problem. Then you can at any time up to 15 days before your extension expires go through the process of converting to a non important visa entry and then extension of stay showing the same documents for both. At most immigration offices this will mean 4 trips to immigration before your final stamp is done.

"converting to a non important visa entry"

As opposed to the VIP visa entry??smile.png

• Like 1

If you flew in without a visa, as you have stated, you only get a "Visa Exempt" stamp good for 30 days. There is no such thing as a Visa on Arrival...only a Visa Exempt. You cannot extend that...only for emergencies. Much better you leave and get a proper multi entry visa. Do not bother with a single entry....its only 1000 baht per entry so a double entry is 2000 baht. Just in case you need it. And you can extend each entry by 30 days. Extensions are 2000 baht. Not complicated at all.

It would of been better to of gone to any nearby Thai embassy or consulate and gotten a single entry non-o visa than just flying out and back to get 30days. You can get another 60 day extension without a problem. Then you can at any time up to 15 days before your extension expires go through the process of converting to a non important visa entry and then extension of stay showing the same documents for both. At most immigration offices this will mean 4 trips to immigration before your final stamp is done.

As opposed to the VIP visa entry??Posted Image

Error from spell check. It should be immigrant.

I saw it but to late to edit.

As opposed to the VIP visa entry??smile.png

Error from spell check. It should be immigrant.

I saw it but to late to edit.

Yeah, I understand. Some of my emails sent from my iPad mutate in weird and (sometimes) wonderful combobulations. I would like to think I could do a better job without its help and have to constantly remind myself to double-check before hitting "send."

If you flew in without a visa, as you have stated, you only get a "Visa Exempt" stamp good for 30 days. There is no such thing as a Visa on Arrival...only a Visa Exempt. You cannot extend that...only for emergencies. Much better you leave and get a proper multi entry visa. Do not bother with a single entry....its only 1000 baht per entry so a double entry is 2000 baht. Just in case you need it. And you can extend each entry by 30 days. Extensions are 2000 baht. Not complicated at all.

There indeed is a visa on arrival - but it is only available to a limited number of select country travelers and only provides a 15 day stay. All extensions of stay are 1,900 baht.

There indeed is a visa on arrival - but it is only available to a limited number of select country travelers and only provides a 15 day stay. All extensions of stay are 1,900 baht.

When she flew in....she did not get any such thing. What she got was a Visa Exempt stamp good for 30 days. I was not referring about the 14 day ...it is 14... overland Visa.

When she flew in....she did not get any such thing. What she got was a Visa Exempt stamp good for 30 days. I was not referring about the 14 day ...it is 14... overland Visa.

He referring to a 15 day visa on arrival that some people can get on arrival be applying for and paying 1000 baht.

By land you get a 15 day visa exempt entry.

Edited by ubonjoe

Coming back to the question in the title: yes there is a limit of tourist visas and extensions.

Well, for any tourist visa or visa exempt you can get an extension.

But if you just leave and come back immediately there is a number of entries before they ask you why you don't have an appropriate visa as obviously you are not a tourist passing "too much time" in the country.

The number is not fixed but Udon Thani immigration told us on a presentation that 4-5 times usually are accepted bor from 6 times onwards you might run into this issue (depending on the daily mood of the official).

So, as already mentioned, it would be better to apply for a non immigration O visa and get extensions to this.

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

OKI, I am confused and if you listen to my kids, pretty dumb, besides the point. I am an Aussie, flew into Suvarnabhumi and granted 30 day stay, which I was under the impression was visa on arrival (which everybody calls it everywhere). I now wish to extend my stay, can I go to immigration and get an extension for 1,900 baht like I did last time on a 60 day visa??

OKI, I am confused and if you listen to my kids, pretty dumb, besides the point. I am an Aussie, flew into Suvarnabhumi and granted 30 day stay, which I was under the impression was visa on arrival (which everybody calls it everywhere). I now wish to extend my stay, can I go to immigration and get an extension for 1,900 baht like I did last time on a 60 day visa??

No

You can request an extension which will be refused. Immigration will give you seven days in which to leave the country.

Edit

NB

Immigration may also wish to see your air tickets for the journey out and the seven day "extension " will cost 1900bht

Edited by Sceptict11

No

You can request an extension which will be refused. Immigration will give you seven days in which to leave the country.

Edit

NB

Immigration may also wish to see your air tickets for the journey out and the seven day "extension " will cost 1900bht

If you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child you can get a 60 day extension to visit them.

Clause 2.24 of police order 777/2551.

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality: Each permission shall be granted for no more than 60 days. (1) There must be proof of relationship. (2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks everyone for generously answering my question. :)

I stand corrected, what i currently have is the entry stamp for 30 days. Actually when I flew back to Thailand, even if I still have my visa extension, they still stamped me with the visa exempt for 30 days, which means I have both that expires almost the same day. Im not sure if the immigration officer was aware that I have an extension, but he still did stamped me. My only concern is that would they let me reapply again for a 60 day extension just after the extension that I currently have expires. They were able to grant me extension last time even if I only have the entry visa exempt stamp because I have a thai daughter and thai husband. Hopefully there'll be no problem, next time I come to visit the immigration for extension :)

If you had an extension of stay and did not get a re-entry permit prior to leaving the extension ends on departure and your new stay is not a visa exempt entry that can not be extended more than 60 days. You will require a new non immigrant O visa entry to get new one year extensions of stay. You can obtain the non immigrant O by converting your current entry with 15 days or more remaining but cost will be 2,000 baht extra - you can they extend normally after 60 days on the new entry.

No

Edit

NB

If you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child you can get a 60 day extension to visit them.

Clause 2.24 of police order 777/2551.

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality: Each permission shall be granted for no more than 60 days. (1) There must be proof of relationship. (2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto

Thanks Ubon Joe, I will take GF with me and see what happens, she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I like her, LOL

Anyway, they have on record a previous extension where she accompanied me so I am guessing that may have been part of the equation.

It will be interesting, Nong Khai Immigration seem pretty decent to me, have had smiles and no attitude, I obey the rules etc.

I reported to my local police station and got a residency report which listed my GF as my residence so hopefully it will all work out.

Either way, it will add to my knowledge of the system.