Work visa and forward ticket

I am a 55 year old male from US. I leave for Thailand in two weeks to teach English and plan to stay for 6 months to a year. At this point planning to simply arrive and use the 30 visa and sort out the rest once there. Transferring in Taiwan. Will I be able to fly with only a one way ticket? How much cash do I need to show? Other proof of funds? Should I try to get a 60 visa?

Just found this forum and it had raised many questions for me. Thanks for any help on these questions. And maybe anything else I need to l know to get started.

There are no 30 day visas!

As an American you are permitted to enter Thailand on a 30 day "visa exempt " entry.

Some airlines will be reluctant to board you if you have no visa and do not have an onward flight.

Obtaining a tourist visa would ensure a problem free journey using a one way ticket.

Have you thought your plans through?

You will need to address issues such as appropriate visa, work permit and depending on where you plan to teach a teaching licence.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along and give you some advise.

Edited by Sceptict11

It will probably take a few weeks for you the work permit to be ready after your arrival and therefore you should at least get a tourist visa if you don't have the necessary documents from your prospective employer to get a single-entry non-B visa.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First where in the US do you live. Second... it is easy to get a double 60-day entry visa at the Thai Consulate where you live or through the Embassy in DC. Cost will be around $80 to $100 total (depending upon id you use a service or not). Turn around is about 2 to 3 days. There will be no problem doing it that way at all. You could try and ask for a Multi-Entry visa... but I understand that in the US they are uneasy to do those for some unknown reason. But with the Double Entry 60 each can be extended by 30-days once you are here ... so you will have a total of 6 months. You will still have to leave every 90-days (with the extensions or 60 without) but take that time to explore. As for airline concerns.. You are far better off with a round trip ticket. It will be more than helpful to have that when you are here. The Thais like to know that you are not planning to stay forever... besides ticket wil be better price breakdown than a 1-way. Work permit... if you really need one that is... not always require one if you get what I am saying... is only done via your employer anyway. So that will be something you will have to do here.Proof of funds are not required, unless you are planning to marry or apply for retirement visa.

Just go to AirAsia and buy the cheapest one way out of Thailand. Usually you can find some to Kuala Lumpur at the cost of a taxi ride to town.

Or buy a 3rd class Hat Yai (Thailand) to Butterwoth (Malaysia) train ticket for a few dollar, then throw it away after you entered Thailand.