New UK Passport verification letter - Pattaya or BKK

I have received a new passport, went to immigration in Rayong to transfer my stamps, visa etc, they say cannot, i must have a letter from UK Embassy to say my old one is cancelled, the corners are cut off <deleted>!!!

So do i need to go all the way to Bangkok or can the UK Consul office in Pattaya/Jomtien provide me with such a letter??

Does anyone know the current phone number for the UK consul in Pattaya?

I did a 90 day report last week at the one stop BOI place in BKK with my new and old passport.Told me to fill in a form for extension transfer to new passport and gave me a pair of scissors to cut the corners of my old passport. No letter required. Goes to show how much each office interprets the rules.

At Hua Hin this week when asking to transfer retirement extension to my new passport (received last week) I was asked for confirmation letter from British Embassy which I did,nt have.

The Immigration officer said no problem but asked for ฿500 to transfer the Retirement Extension which took about 4 new stamps (all signed and dated) and 30 minutes (seemed like forever !!!)

I had my extension stamps transferred to a new UK passport a few weeks ago in Jomtien. It is free and I wasnt asked for a letter.

If you do have to get a letter then you can email/fax the British consulate (Bangkok) a copy of the main page of both the old and new passports and they will post you a letter free of charge.

Edited by KittenKong

IF if asked for this letter .....What does it say?

Are there ways to get this letter - without travelling to the odious Embassy in Bangkok?

Now that there is no Consulate in Jomptien, are there any agencies offering UK passport related services?smile.png

Cost so far.......

photos =120 bht

DHL to Hong Kong =720 bht

passport renewal inc. return DHL from UK =138.14 gbp

[website says 147.86 gbp]

visa card charge 2.76 gbp

Hope I don't have to add bus fares ........ sad.png

Are there ways to get this letter - without travelling to the odious Embassy in Bangkok?

Looks like you missed my comment immediately above yours:

If you do have to get a letter then you can email/fax the British consulate (Bangkok) a copy of the main page of both the old and new passports and they will post you a letter free of charge.

Well I was most certainly not asked by Maptaput for an Embassy letter when I got the stamps transferred from my old to new UK passports there earlier this year, even though I had gone to the trouble of obtaining one! Judging from the OP and other fellow Brit Rayongites who have posted in similar vein to him in recent months, it looks like I was the exception rather than the rule!

I also obtained my Embassy letter (which wasn't in the event needed) by email - and free of charge to boot. Please note, however, that, as well as the photo pages from your old and new passports, the Embassy also need to know your latest entry date into Thailand and original visa type.

Just to update, the British Embassy WILL NOT send you a letter, they wont even respond to your e mail!!!

Followed up with a phone call to the embassy to be told i must go in person.

So i went today, took both passports - nothing else needed, you actually fill in the letter yourself at the embassy then they put a stamp on it and sign it free of charge , in and out in around 20 minutes so not too bad - can't say the same for the traffic though!!

Just to update, the British Embassy WILL NOT send you a letter, they wont even respond to your e mail!!!

So i went today, took both passports - nothing else needed, you actually fill in the letter yourself at the embassy then they put a stamp on it and sign it free of charge , in and out in around 20 minutes so not too bad - can't say the same for the traffic though!!

To which address did you send your email to which never received a reply? I successfully obtained my verification letter after I had emailed the Embassy at [email protected]. The [email protected] address referred to in post #10 is, I suspect, a general one.

To which address did you send your email to which never received a reply? I successfully obtained my verification letter after I had emailed the Embassy at [email protected]. The [email protected] address referred to in post #10 is, I suspect, a general one.

Something wrong the the highlighted email address !

Okay, further update, received the following e mail from the consularenquires e mail address....got a reply but same result.

Dear Mr .................

Thank you for your email.

We can issue you a consular standard letter to transfer the Thai visa from your previous passport to the new passport. In order to do this, you must contact us in person and bring along your passports ( both new and previous passport). Our public opening hours: Monday – Friday 08.00-11.00

Regards,

Porawan

Okay, further update, received the following e mail from the consularenquires e mail address....got a reply but same result.

Dear Mr .................

Thank you for your email.

We can issue you a consular standard letter to transfer the Thai visa from your previous passport to the new passport. In order to do this, you must contact us in person and bring along your passports ( both new and previous passport). Our public opening hours: Monday – Friday 08.00-11.00

Regards,

Porawan

I received an identical reply from the same Porawan initially. I then emailed him/her again as follows:-

"Unfortunately, a 320-km round trip to Bangkok solely for the purpose of obtaining an Embassy visa transfer letter in person would inevitably result in considerable inconvenience and expense for me. I was therefore wondering whether it might be possible for the Embassy to (1) accept applications for, and (2) issue such letters by EMS post, similar to the arrangements which already exist for income confirmation letters required annually for Immigration purposes (and which have been working very well for me to date)."

And received the following reply:-

"I have consulted with my colleagues that you are living remotely from the Embassy. It has been exceptionally agreed that I can mail the document to you. Kindly note this is not our standard service and we are required to consider it case by case based on an applicant’s circumstances.

"Please scan and email me your previous passport and new passport, the date that you entered to Thailand and type of your visa. And please give me your address as well so I can post the letter to you."

So my advice is not to be fobbed off by any initial reply insisting on a personal visit to the Embassy. If they were to be bombarded with requests for similar dispensations they might eventually amend their standard procedures.

Edited by OJAS