Jasmine rice scam

songhklasid

I live in Australia with thai wife & son, we eat a lot of thai meals, the last few years we have taken a preference to basmati rice, not as heavy, low G.I. & tastes better than the average long grain rice,recently due to busy work schedules by all we run out of basmati rice, so my wife purcased some large supermarket brand thai jasmine rice, & cooked some in rice cooker to go with curry dish that nite, It was obviously not "hom mali" genuine thai jasmine rice, It turned gluggy straight after being cooked, stuck together in lumps, & tasteless. I wonder if the marketer's & agents in thailand are substituting cheap padi rice for "jasmine" fragrant rice, due to the glut of rice overflowing in storage due to yingluck's rice payment scheme. I'll be complaining to supermarket chain today, it's doing thailands reputation harm.

comments please

regards songhklasidbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Im in Australia also. What brand of jasmine was it? We usually always buy jasmine being Coles own brand and sunrice brand. Both never an issue. Sometimes we just get sunrice long grain if it's on special. Never an issue with these 2 brands. The only time we did buy some imported Thai rice it was hard when cooked and some was gluggy. Threw it out.

Rice and Girls is all Thailands got. Funny both are declining in quality...........lol.

..... and both increasing in price !!

Some of the posts on here are also declining in quality.

I also don't think YL is to blame for your gluggy rice somehow. Try less water first.

Edited by krisb

Rice and Girls is all Thailands got. Funny both are declining in quality...........lol.

Thailand has Asias second biggest car production.....almost 50 % of all Harddisks come from Thailand.

A lot steel production, etc etc

Rice, beer and girls is all the usual male tourist sees but Thailand has a lot strong production.

Tourism is just a few percent.

CCC may protest, nevertheless one of the impacts of the YL Government's Rice Market Manipulation Scheme is the degradation in the quality of Thai rice exports.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577904578557050631839748.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

We've had no problems with The Thai rice in the U.K.

Buy it by the 20 kg sack Jasmine/fragrant/Basmati etc.

The only rice we won't touch is that American long grain rice,(The missus say's that's what they feed convicts in the Bangkok Hiltoncheesy.gif )

CCC

It was coles brand, & yes the missus cooked it , maybe she put too much water, I don't know, but hasn't happened before with basmati , to krisb try basmati, its better.

regards songhklasidbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

My wife thinks the jasmine rice here in oz is old rice. Possibly right but I don't know. It's not as fragrant as Thai mali in Thailand for sure. We always get the Coles brand cause it's a bit cheaper, but it always seems good to me. Thanks for the basmati tip. I've never tried it but next time I will buy a bag.