Flooding causes Tourism THB 700 million

Lite Beer

Flooding causes Tourism THB 700 million

BANGKOK, 13 September 2013 (NNT) - Floods have caused damage worth over 700 million baht to the tourism sector of nine provinces. The Ministry of Tourism and Sports are preparing measures to rehabilitate tourism entrepreneurs affected by the inundation.

According to Minister of Tourism and Sports Somsak Phureesrisak, Typhoon Usagi, Typhoon Wu Tib and monsoon trough have since last September caused flooding in 38 provinces in Thailand. Among them, 11 provinces are now in a better state, 27 provinces are still seriously flooded, and three are slightly affected. The flooding has caused damage to the tourism sector in nine provinces to the tune of over 700 million baht, with Phitsanulok having the highest loss worth 223 million baht, followed by Ayutthaya, and Ubon Ratchathani, the minister said.

The damage is indirect effect of the flooding, given most of the tourist sites and accommodation have been unaffected , Mr Somsak said. However, the floods did hurt the confidence of tourists who were concerned about traveling convenience.

According to Mr Somsak, the Department of Tourism is urgently surveying damage in the flood-affected areas and developing post-flood rehabilitation plans, especially assistance for the tourism entrepreneurs.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-13 footer_n.gif

The tourist arrival numbers have not been affected as per TAT, so the tourist that did not go to the flooded areas stayed somewhere else, I would presume.If this is true, the loss to those affected was a gain for someone in a different region.

Heavy rain, is part of natures cycle in this part of the world as are times of extreme heat, and in some area temperatures that are considered cold. To these adverse conditions, throw in what is known as the low season, are we to expect 4 potential paydays by the government to 'tourist related industry'?

Wasn't the Tourism Authority of Thailand saying there was no impact on tourism just a week or so ago? This government keeps me so confused...if Thai's are confused as I'm no wonder the government can say most anything and get away with it....razzle-dazzle....dazzle them with BS.

• Like 1

That can't be right, TAT already has BIG plans for the up coming high season & the tourist are coming by the boat load. The floods are a new tourist attraction...water world....venice of the east. Maybe they would even make a movie out of it....NO LAND IN SIGHT.wai2.gif

They should publish this story with a photo of poor Thais standing in shoulder water holding a plastic basket. Maybe the Thai Mr. Bigs will get the idea then. Tourists are not idiots. They see these photos of poor Thais standing in this flooding water up to their shoulders with no one helping and tourists think, what if that were me? If Thais can't take care of their own Thai people then how would they ever take care of or care about a foreign tourist?

• Like 1

Get your TAT insurance out!! Which one is that, you may ask...

It is the one that promises guarantees that the rain does not have any impact on Tourism; if it does though, TAT will pay you whatever income you have missed!

Maybe you can not find it; in that case I am sure TAT will get you a new one.....

whistling.gifgiggle.gif