Recall Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

anon210

Hello, I just received a letter from Mitsubishi Thailand, inviting me to go to the dealership to have the electric seats of my car checked.

i guess it is linked to this recall from Mitsu Philippines:

• Weld condition of the front suspension lower arm - The welding bead dimension of the front lower arm is suspected to be insufficient that may result to breakage while vehicle is in use. The inspection procedure is estimate to take 1.7 hours at the most and when needed, replacement of both front lower arms is estimated at 6.3 hours. Coverage of this safety inspection is 11,403 Montero Sport (2WD and 4WD) and 4,050 Strada (2WD and 4WD) units sold from 2011 to 2012.
  • Weld condition of the front propeller shaft for four wheel drive models - The width of the welding bead between the tube and stub shaft is suspected to be insufficient in some units that may result to breakage while vehicle is in use. The inspection procedure is estimated to take 12 minutes at the most and when needed, replacement is estimated at 36 minutes. Coverage are 66 Montero Sport 4WD and 13 Strada 4WD units sold in 2012.
  • Power assisted reclining switch for the driver’s seat on Montero GLS SE and GT-V models - The power assisted reclining switch may get stuck during usage and may result to power seat motor overheating. Replacement of the reclining switch is estimated at 18 minutes and when needed power seat motor replacement, should require a total of 2.5 hours. Coverage of this safety inspection are 8,059 Montero Sport four wheel drive models (GLS SE and GT-V) units sold from 2009 up to present.

http://www.mmpc.ph/latestnews/mmpc-montero-sport-and-strada-safety-inspection-campaign.html

Kudos to the company's Quality Control department being on their toes and catching the faulty weld - a mal-functioning welding unit? - and contacting the affected customers! thumbsup.gif

Actually, the letter I received is only for the power seats. Not for the faulty weld. I guess my car is not concerned, the defect being proper to cars manufactured between 2009 and 2012.

But yeah, was positively surprised by the letter to one exception... It is totally in Thai! rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, been trying since yesterday to get in touch with Mitsu Thailand to book an appointment for the recall. Unfortunately, it would seem the whole company has only one person capable of speaking a reasonable English, and that person is too busy to get back to me.

Confirms my poor opinion of the after-sales service of Mitsu Thailand. Beyond being thai-centric (promotions etc are mostly oriented towards Thai citizens see below), they never responded to my online contacts.

Honestly, while the service centers are of a variable quality, the corporate offices are just plain disastrous. For starters, they send out a recall letter in Thai alone (good luck to figure out what it could be if you don't speak or read the bloody language). They invite you to call a number to book an appointment, but cannot serve you when you call them! If someone recalls, my complaint about someone smoking in my car before it was delivered never got solved.

Finally, my pet peeve... It seems they do organize competitions and/or prizes, but reserved to Thais only. Apparently earlier this year there was something around traveling to Japan... but from the results page, it would appear that it was only reserved to thais (id card and house registration required). I don't really care about that, but the fact that a private company discriminates against foreigners irritates me formidably.

At this point that I have definitely decided never to buy Mitsu again. Very happy with the car, but I get irritated that the Japanese let their racist and nationalist Thai underlings carry out their 'Thai only' policies.

The only appropriate response is not to give your money to such idiots.

Well, been trying since yesterday to get in touch with Mitsu Thailand to book an appointment for the recall. Unfortunately, it would seem the whole company has only one person capable of speaking a reasonable English, and that person is too busy to get back to me.

Confirms my poor opinion of the after-sales service of Mitsu Thailand. Beyond being thai-centric (promotions etc are mostly oriented towards Thai citizens see below), they never responded to my online contacts.

Honestly, while the service centers are of a variable quality, the corporate offices are just plain disastrous. For starters, they send out a recall letter in Thai alone (good luck to figure out what it could be if you don't speak or read the bloody language). They invite you to call a number to book an appointment, but cannot serve you when you call them! If someone recalls, my complaint about someone smoking in my car before it was delivered never got solved.

Finally, my pet peeve... It seems they do organize competitions and/or prizes, but reserved to Thais only. Apparently earlier this year there was something around traveling to Japan... but from the results page, it would appear that it was only reserved to thais (id card and house registration required). I don't really care about that, but the fact that a private company discriminates against foreigners irritates me formidably.

At this point that I have definitely decided never to buy Mitsu again. Very happy with the car, but I get irritated that the Japanese let their racist and nationalist Thai underlings carry out their 'Thai only' policies.

The only appropriate response is not to give your money to such idiots.

In any country such discrimination would be illegal.

It thrives here.

Update on the situation. After a lot of calling around, finally, called the dealership at Ramkamhaeng, where an English-speaking lady took my details and said she would ask Mitsu call center to get in touch with me. There, finally an "officer" took my call (the first lady could not understand the terms "fix" or "repair") and arranged for me to go that dealership for having my car fixed.

They apologized about the communication in Thai only, and said they would try to improve service to customers for next time. So, in the end, the moral of the story is this one: when you are a customer, complain and be vocal! It always pays off and you will be (hopefully!) pave the way for better service in the future.

Update on the situation. After a lot of calling around, finally, called the dealership at Ramkamhaeng, where an English-speaking lady took my details and said she would ask Mitsu call center to get in touch with me. There, finally an "officer" took my call (the first lady could not understand the terms "fix" or "repair") and arranged for me to go that dealership for having my car fixed.

They apologized about the communication in Thai only, and said they would try to improve service to customers for next time. So, in the end, the moral of the story is this one: when you are a customer, complain and be vocal! It always pays off and you will be (hopefully!) pave the way for better service in the future.

Your just one of hundreds who get to do the "Mitsubishi Runaround" dance. Personally I wouldn't buy their vehicles when there are so many other choices.

When it comes to doing publicity and trying to sell you their cars, they are very apt to propose an English version of their web site. Not so, when it comes to advising you of important matters (namely a recall?). Where is the logic, then?

Was at Ramkamhaeng dealership this morning to have the issue fixed. An English-speaking lady was there to handle. Nevertheless, when I asked them to check that front tire which seems having a silent puncture (always five PSI below the others), they told me they could not do it and that I had to go to a "tire shop"! They just pumped it back up. I thought that letting anyone but the authorized dealer fix anything related to your car was voiding your warranty?

Again, this is a very professional service center, but I am seriously let down with the incoherence and this lack of service mind which seems to affect Mitsu in Thailand.

Dunno about BSJ's runaround, I have not found any major difference between Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, Toyota, Hino and Isuzu. They all deal primarily in Thai, English is very hit and miss in both promotional material and support literature. None of their web sites are much good either, particularly Isuzu. This is not particularly surprising as we are in LOS after all and Foreigners are a (very) minor customer group.

Freemindxs stumbled on the same approach I found that works. I.E. If you don't speak Thai, find a dealer with some one that can speak English, preferable the service manager and deal with them.

As for tyres, an independent tyre shop is going to be better than a dealer anyway. As long as tyres of the correct spec are used, the car warranty will not be a problem.

Dunno about BSJ's runaround, I have not found any major difference between Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, Toyota, Hino and Isuzu. They all deal primarily in Thai, English is very hit and miss in both promotional material and support literature. None of their web sites are much good either, particularly Isuzu. This is not particularly surprising as we are in LOS after all and Foreigners are a (very) minor customer group.

Freemindxs stumbled on the same approach I found that works. I.E. If you don't speak Thai, find a dealer with some one that can speak English, preferable the service manager and deal with them.

As for tyres, an independent tyre shop is going to be better than a dealer anyway. As long as tyres of the correct spec are used, the car warranty will not be a problem.

Beg to differ re after sale's service. Had a problem with the door handle embellisher on my Tuna the garage just wanted to stick it back, so sent an email to Toyota BKK, next day got a phone call with a follow up email all in English apologising and offered to send a man round to put a new one on, all I wanted was a new one when I went to my local garage they sorted everything so much so that when I went into the local Toyota's they were running about like blue arse flies. Even got a free service.

UNLIKE many of the comments here i have found Mitsubishi Service to be First Class. I purchased my 3.2 lt Pajero Sport 4x4, almost 4 years ago in Mukdahan. I found it to have a Differential Whine between 105 and 115 K/H. I went to the Service Manager, who has very limited English and took him for a Test Drive and he heard the Whine. He contacted Mitsubishi about the problem and was told it was a common problem with the 3.2 Lt. A new Differential was ordered from Japan and installed about a month Later. Unfortunately all this did was to change at what speed the Whine came in, so a Technician was sent from Bangkok with 3 Additional Diffs to install until the Whine was eradicated. The next diff was similiar,but the 3rd solved the problem. I was present while all work was done and havind set up differentials myself 40 years ago during my racing years, i knew what they were doing when testing all the tolerances of each Diff before installation, they did a great job. Every service since has been carried out in the same manner and the only other warrenty item has been the column stalk switch for the lights and fog lights which has been cleaned a couple of times and replaced once. All Good. There is no doubt that forming a good relationship with the Service Manager and the Mechanics goes a long way and after the Diff work i took a case of Leo around at knock off time and sat and drank with the bunch of them including the sales girls and eversince whenever i drive in for anything i get immediate good service. A little appreciation goes a long way..

• Like 1