Windows 8.1 update

sammycic

Has anyone been able to update their windows 8 this morning thru the windows store.

no update to update the store and the store just doesn't load.

maybe servers in overload.

cheers

Yes done it last night / this morning you need to install KB2871839 before it will show in the store.

Doing a reinstall as I could not get the update to work. Have the update now after the reinstall. I had two computers using the same microsoft account.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Doing a reinstall as I could not get the update to work. Have the update now after the reinstall. I had two computers using the same microsoft account.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow tad strong reinstalling what was wrong with the update? Did u select the correct one?

Downloads, reboots to a black screen with cursor. Power off and was presented with a roll back to windows 8.0

I think it's related to me running the nVidia beta driver (needed for BF4) so I can do with the increased GPU performance, no need for a start menu. Will wait a bit I think.

I'm downloading this now for my laptop but what a pain to have to do it via the Windows Store, which until now I have never used at all.

What on earth was wrong with the regular Windows Update technique, or indeed just downloading a stand-alone installer?

it' says 'downloading 8.1 single language.. does that mean I am going to lose the ability to enter text in Thai and toggle between thai languange and english like i can now?

Nope ! You still will have that option after the upgrade.

I think it only means that you can't change the language of the menus etc etc in Windows itself, you need another Windows 8.1 version for that.

Edit: Added Ps:

Ps: Just read the following "All editions have the ability to use language packs, enabling multiple user interface languages"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions#Regional_restrictions_and_variations

Edited by MJCM

I installed it last night without any problems (apart from the one glitch mentioned below). Not sure why you find Windows Store so hard to use KittenKong? It was just a question of clicking on it.

Re. graphics drivers johnsjourney, have you just tried reinstalling the ones you had before the update? I did notice that after the update my AMD Catalyst Control Center seemed to have changed to a version that wouldn't allow me to adjust the scaling and my desktop was underscaled with fuzzy text as a result. I just went to AMD website, downloaded and installed latest version and everything was back to normal. They don't need to write new drivers as far as I am aware. Any that you had with 8 should work with 8.1. Maybe they just got replaced like mine and you need to reinstall?

I installed it last night without any problems (apart from the one glitch mentioned below). Not sure why you find Windows Store so hard to use KittenKong? It was just a question of clicking on it.

I didnt say it was hard: just a pointless pain. I do not want to use programmes that contain hardly any information yet run full-screen and cant be resized. Windows update does its job perfectly well in a little window that can be moved and resized, so why couldnt they just leave it like that?

My 8.1 update installed fast and works fine but the new "start" button is totally pointless as it just take you back to that awful tile interface. So I reinstalled Classic Shell and all is good.

Roll on the day when someone produces a Win8 tool that removes the tile interface completely, and all these terrible apps that only work full-screen. Surely Microsoft's most stupid idea ever.

• Like 1

exactly, it's just like 8.0 except now there's this windows icon in the bottom left corner where the start menu used to be, but its not the start menu-it still puts you into tile mode when you press it..what is this classic shell thing and how do you get it

btw tx MJCM

A right-click on the so-called Start Button pulls up a quick launch menu of shorts. The menu displays a list of administrative tools like Power Options, Event View, Disk Management, Windows Shells, Control Panel and also you can Shutdown more easily from there.

Read this about clasicc shell and others

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2054422/five-tools-to-bring-the-start-menu-back-to-windows-8-1.html

The 8.1 update has made the tile thing bearable, not sure why but being able to boot straight to desktop and click the start button to go to programs makes it ok ish.

I'm not a massive fan of the tiles but its unfortunately not going anywhere so I might aswell get used to it, as for the classic shell program I cannot see the point in that at all, as long as you organized your programs on the tile menu with favouries first u simply click start then click the tile, having the classic menu program just says I'm not willing to change and that's one thing we all have to do or get left behin in this technology driven world.

Clicked on the update button in the windows store.

Kept on doing what i was doing and after an hour or so i got the warning that it needed to be restarted.

Closed my stuff restarted and that was it.

Could not been made easier.

I was already happy with 8.0 and i really do not miss the start button. NOw that it is semi back it just uses space that was not needed.

Everything is (and was) just a key press away. windows key for the start menu, and windows key + X for all the system related functions. Alt+F4 to close down current active program. Alt+Tab to switch between running programs. Same since windows 95.

Still not understand why everybody makes a fuzz about the metro style apps. It is just another way to use your computer. Nobody is forcing you to use anything.

I am 99.9% in desktop mode, if i really wanted i would never have to see 'those tiles'. Just add some shortcuts to your taskbar or desktop. If it is about productivity, that is the way to reach it. The start button in older version was never quick.

Edited by Khun Jean

A right-click on the so-called Start Button pulls up a quick launch menu of shorts.

Hmmm. Not exactly what I would call a useful alternative to the real start menu. Beats my why they got rid of it.

Anyway, Classic Shell puts it back as it should be and that's all that matters in the end.

• Like 1

I'm not a massive fan of the tiles but its unfortunately not going anywhere so I might aswell get used to it, as for the classic shell program I cannot see the point in that at all, as long as you organized your programs on the tile menu with favouries first u simply click start then click the tile, having the classic menu program just says I'm not willing to change and that's one thing we all have to do or get left behin in this technology driven world.

The tile interface is OK if you only have a few tiles. In my start menu I have hundreds of links for programmes and applets, and pinned and recent documents all of which I can get to with just one mouse movement without hiding the content of my desktop or switching windows.

It is totally impossible to use the tile interface in this way. It's fine for people who dont need to do very much.

The tile interface is OK if you only have a few tiles. In my start menu I have hundreds of links for programmes and applets, and pinned and recent documents all of which I can get to with just one mouse movement without hiding the content of my desktop or switching windows.

It is totally impossible to use the tile interface in this way. It's fine for people who dont need to do very much.

I would have thought it would be more efficient the more you have, not only can you group programs as you wish in the normal view you can click the down or up arrow to show all programs alphabetically then quickly scroll to wherever you need to be.

I was already happy with 8.0 and i really do not miss the start button. NOw that it is semi back it just uses space that was not needed.

Everything is (and was) just a key press away. windows key for the start menu, and windows key + X for all the system related functions. Alt+F4 to close down current active program. Alt+Tab to switch between running programs. Same since windows 95.

So in order to get to my start menu (which in Win8 without Classic Shell isnt a proper start menu anyway) I'm suppose to let go of my mouse or stylus, push the Windows key, take hold of my mouse or stylus and then navigate through many large icons that cover more than a full screen whilst at the same time losing the view of my desktop?

Sounds totally impractical to me. Great for people who are using their fingers on a touchscreen, but who can do serious work like that? It's a toy.

With the proper start menu I can access everything I want with one uninterrupted mouse movement and it is lightning fast.

I have one PC that was running 8.0, and now is running 8.1 after doing MS's 2.8 GB online update yesterday, which seemed to take about an hour, most of it in the install process.

One certain tip: for anyone looking to install the 8.1 upgrade on an 8.0 machine, run Windows Update FIRST and make sure all recommended updates are installed.

As for me, I can't stomach the lack of a real start menu in either 8.0 or 8.1, so I already had Classic Shell installed on my 8.0 machine. And now there's a newer Classic Shell version 4.0 that's just recently been released and, I assume, will play better with 8.1.

The 3.x version of Classic Shell I had on my 8.0 machine worked fine... But after doing the 8.1 update, it no longer worked for some reason. I don't know if it was a versioning issue or simply that the 8.1 update broke the previously installed version. But after I installed the newer 4.0 Classic Shell version on top of the fresh 8.1 Windows install, Classic Shell worked fine again for the newly installed 8.1 machine.

Tiles may be great for tablets and phones. But I HATE!!!!! them on a desktop PC.

BTW, I've heard that there is some setting in Win 8.1 that supposedly will allow booting direct to the desktop. Here's CNET's take on how to accomplish that... Guess I'll have to give it a try now.\

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57591261-285/how-to-boot-directly-to-the-desktop-in-windows-8.1/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

right-click the desktop Taskbar, select Properties, and then open the Navigation tab in the window that appears.

And select there:

"When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start”

• Like 1