Windows 8.1 update

sammycic

I have one PC that was running 8.0, and now is running 8.1 after doing MS's 2.8 GB online update yesterday, which seemed to take about an hour, most of it in the install process.

One certain tip: for anyone looking to install the 8.1 upgrade on an 8.0 machine, run Windows Update FIRST and make sure all recommended updates are installed.

As for me, I can't stomach the lack of a real start menu in either 8.0 or 8.1, so I already had Classic Shell installed on my 8.0 machine. And now there's a newer Classic Shell version 4.0 that's just recently been released and, I assume, will play better with 8.1.

The 3.x version of Classic Shell I had on my 8.0 machine worked fine... But after doing the 8.1 update, it no longer worked for some reason. I don't know if it was a versioning issue or simply that the 8.1 update broke the previously installed version. But after I installed the newer 4.0 Classic Shell version on top of the fresh 8.1 Windows install, Classic Shell worked fine again for the newly installed 8.1 machine.

Tiles may be great for tablets and phones. But I HATE!!!!! them on a desktop PC.

BTW, I've heard that there is some setting in Win 8.1 that supposedly will allow booting direct to the desktop. Here's CNET's take on how to accomplish that... Guess I'll have to give it a try now.\

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57591261-285/how-to-boot-directly-to-the-desktop-in-windows-8.1/

It's not necessary to install update beforehand only the one I mentioned in a earlier post, infact I purposely didn't update as 8.1 would have all the updates in anyway

• Like 1

The Win 8.1 package probably has all the required Windows/MS updates... But that doesn't mean it would include the latest versions of standalone 3rd party software packages such as that supporting video cards and other peripherals.

I don't see any harm, and only potential benefit, in making sure you're up to date in Windows Update before doing the 8.1 update.

I thnk there are some signifigent changes with the new window 8.1.

My bluetooth which would not work at all with window8 despite all the latest drivers sudenly started working when I installed it. A few other little things I noticed too.

I was already happy with 8.0 and i really do not miss the start button. NOw that it is semi back it just uses space that was not needed.

Everything is (and was) just a key press away. windows key for the start menu, and windows key + X for all the system related functions. Alt+F4 to close down current active program. Alt+Tab to switch between running programs. Same since windows 95.

So in order to get to my start menu (which in Win8 without Classic Shell isnt a proper start menu anyway) I'm suppose to let go of my mouse or stylus, push the Windows key, take hold of my mouse or stylus and then navigate through many large icons that cover more than a full screen whilst at the same time losing the view of my desktop?

If you use the mouse with your left hand i would agree. I was born with 2 hands and i use the mouse with my right, so pressing the windows key with a finger on my left hand is much faster then moving the mouse to the left corner.

Most used shortcuts to be clicked upon with the mouse you can put on the task bar. It isn't called task bar for nothing.

When you move the mouse to the left corner to a start button your view of the desktop is lost anyway as you need to concentrate and perform minute motions to get to the right shortcut.

Once i learned a few handy keyboard shortcuts (somewhere in the year 1993) using windows got much easier and faster. And you know what, most of those keyboard shortcuts still work.

Even when editing text keyboard shortcuts saves a lot of time. No more selecting words/sentences with the mouse and right clicking to choose copy and past. Just a few strokes on the keyboard.

Try it.

• Like 2

If you use the mouse with your left hand i would agree. I was born with 2 hands and i use the mouse with my right, so pressing the windows key with a finger on my left hand is much faster then moving the mouse to the left corner.

Most used shortcuts to be clicked upon with the mouse you can put on the task bar. It isn't called task bar for nothing.

When you move the mouse to the left corner to a start button your view of the desktop is lost anyway as you need to concentrate and perform minute motions to get to the right shortcut.

Once i learned a few handy keyboard shortcuts (somewhere in the year 1993) using windows got much easier and faster. And you know what, most of those keyboard shortcuts still work.

Even when editing text keyboard shortcuts saves a lot of time. No more selecting words/sentences with the mouse and right clicking to choose copy and past. Just a few strokes on the keyboard.

Try it.

I use professional Adobe products intensively so I do know a little bit about keyboard shortcuts, thanks.

But to use a keyboard shortcut to bring up an unsatisfactory full-screen tiled interface is not good enough for me, I'm afraid, especially when the proper start menu provides exactly what I need directly via one mouse movement.

Just noticed this.

Wanted to clear some space, so I Ran a Disk Cleanup and wanted to select "Previous Windows installation(s)" as the Win 8.1 update created a Windows.Old directory.

To my surprise that option was 0 Bytes, so I went and looked and sure the Windows.old directory was still there, but was completely empty, while yesterday it was still around 3 Gb in size.

Edit:Added Ps

Ps: Found this

If you upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.1 Preview or to Windows RT 8.1 from Windows RT 8.1 Preview, some files used by your previous version of Windows will be left in the Windows.old folder. These files will be automatically removed within a few days, or you can use Disk Cleanup to remove them yourself.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-remove-windows-old-folder

Edited by MJCM