help!Bangkok job offer, advice on surrounding areas to live?

minky333

Hi im a bit desperado here, my husband has been offered a job in 'Bangkok' but its more like 40mins outside the main CBD. Ive been told the other workers live in sammakorn or perfect place and commute in. Does anyone have any experience of living in either of these two places? Im not going to working so am worried im going to be stuck in the middle of nowehere and i cant see any visable subway lines near, just big motorways.....
thanks in advance!

Are you talking about sammakorn village out Bangkapi way ?

suppose the best question is where is hubby working ?....if memory serves sammakorn is quite a distance from "center" BKK and will most certainly need car or you will be in Taxi's a lot

• Like 1

Minky333....I'm guessing Sammakorn is in the Bang Kapi area (out by the new airport)....I have a house in Prawet ...Near Bang Kapi...

One thing I found in Bangkok ....is there may be more taxi's (and they are fairly cheap) than there are private cars. Sooooo no matter where you live transportation of some sort is available. I'm assuming that your not locked into corporate housing...and can choose where you wish to live. There is a stop on the airport Rail link in Prawet. I would check out housing in that area if BTS or Rail link is important to you....

To better assist.....Is his job IN Sammakorn (or do the other workers just live in the area)? Is his job in CBD and the other workers choose to commute?

Do you WANT to live near the other workers? What are YOUR priorties? A little more information and maybe you can get more specific info.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your quick responses, much appreciated.

Well the husbands workplace will be bromsgrove international school, and it was they that told us thats where most of the staff live. (sammakorn and perfect place, so ive googed it and i think its the bangkapi area)

We have the option to board to begin with but im sure we will want to get a place of our own soon after. I will be giving up my job as there isnt anything for me at the school, so to begin with ill be at 'home' all day, so originally i thought not a problem ill walk to the shops, grab a subway into bk look for work, but it all seems to be a bit isolated...... ive google earthed it and that has not made me feel any better!!!;)

I suppose it would make sense to live near other workers and ex pats - to have the social interaction so i dont go mad.

is it easy to get around? im presuming my husband would taxi it in with other workers if we did locate there, then than opens up more questions - do we get a car, do we live nearer etc etc. - lots to think about!!

Well the husbands workplace will be bromsgrove international school, and it was they that told us thats where most of the staff live. (sammakorn and perfect place, so ive googed it and i think its the bangkapi area)

We have the option to board to begin with but im sure we will want to get a place of our own soon after. I will be giving up my job as there isnt anything for me at the school, so to begin with ill be at 'home' all day, so originally i thought not a problem ill walk to the shops, grab a subway into bk look for work, but it all seems to be a bit isolated...... ive google earthed it and that has not made me feel any better!!!wink.png

I suppose it would make sense to live near other workers and ex pats - to have the social interaction so i dont go mad.

is it easy to get around? im presuming my husband would taxi it in with other workers if we did locate there, then than opens up more questions - do we get a car, do we live nearer etc etc. - lots to think about!!

That's in Minburi. I would say Perfect Place is....the perfect place (!) if that's your husbands working location. The key is not having to go to and from the city centre each day.

Word of advice though, Perfect Place is HUGE. It's a gated community where you will not be able to go to shopping and similar other than if you drive. Even going to a a convenience store inside Perfect Place could be a MASSIVE walk...

• Like 1

Personally I think you should board first....get your bearings, see what's around ....As I said I have a house in Prawet (which is close to Bromsgrove School....but not THAT close). The reason I mention living in Prawet is that I am close to an Airport rail Link station which you can take directly into the center of Bangkok (and so is the school), Close to Seacon and Paradise shopping Malls on Shrinakarin (as you also would be a short taxi ride)...I think you're worrying too much (no offence ...as worrying sometimes prepares you)...

You asked about transportation.....my first 3 years in Thailand I did not have any transportation (no car, no motor bike) as said before have plenty of taxi's ....just have to make sure your home is near a major road... I'm guessing but a taxi fare from Bang Kapi to Seacon (shopping mall) would probably be about 100 baht (a little over $3) as from my house in Prawet its 70 baht (house in Prawet is close to the 7 and 9 junction)

.Enjoy and Good luck

Edited by bocceball1
  • Like 1

thank you all again!

haha no offence taken - yes i am a major worry wort, but i have to counterbalance my husbands laid back carefree atitude!!

i think youre right bocceball1, board at first,and of hopefully the people he will work with will be able to give us loads of advice

Krisb - will you be at home all day too ;) ill check it out once im there.

Now i just need to work out if its financially viable.............

You'll be fine. In Thailand public transport, especially taxies are the easiest way to get to your destination.

Going to CBD is best taking a taxi to the closest skytrain station because those last few kilometers can take a long time.

For some activities i suggest using meetup.com. They have many groups for all kind of activities.

You will never ever be bored, Bangkok has too much to offer for that.

• Like 1

We have the option to board to begin with but im sure we will want to get a place of our own soon after. I will be giving up my job as there isnt anything for me at the school, so to begin with ill be at 'home' all day, so originally i thought not a problem ill walk to the shops, grab a subway into bk look for work, but it all seems to be a bit isolated...... ive google earthed it and that has not made me feel any better!!!wink.png

"...so originally i thought not a problem ill walk to the shops, grab a subway into bk look for work..."

Are you aware of the work laws for foreigners and the need for a work permit? Teaching is allowed for those with credentials, and the school should get the work permit. But Thais have their thing about foreigners taking jobs that a Thai can do, and most jobs are off-limits to foreigners.

Is this west of bangkok?

I am in Thaveewattana and it it is boring. But everything is up to the money, if it is well paid you can have a weekend house somewhere nice.

Friday from work to the Airport and Mo morning back.

In Thailand many thing depend on the money.

Used to live at Sammakorn and it is a great place with lots of great restaurants and shops. It has pretty much everything you would need.

However, travelling to the CBD is a real pain by car - can easily take 2hrs if traffic is bad.

Ban Thap Chang airport link is about 10 or 15 min away which is a good option if you dont mind parking on the street.

Or there are moo baans near BTC station such as Nirvana.

thank you all again!

haha no offence taken - yes i am a major worry wort, but i have to counterbalance my husbands laid back carefree atitude!!

i think youre right bocceball1, board at first,and of hopefully the people he will work with will be able to give us loads of advice

Krisb - will you be at home all day too wink.png ill check it out once im there.

Now i just need to work out if its financially viable.............

Air pollution is terrible (even by Bangkok standards!) in the area around Perfect Place. It's very near the intersection of two major expressways. Plus, apartments there go for 50,000, so I don't think you'll be able to afford it on a teacher's salary. I know a couple of teachers in Bangkok and they're living in "rooms" in the 5,000 - 10,000 range. You will find very few non-Thais, if any, living in Perfect Place. It doesn't really live up to its name, but then again in Bangkok what does?

Minky333, both muban (village) you mention are at the very outskirts of Bangkok (not Bang Kapi) and have limited public transport. Without a car your best bet between the two muban is Muban Sammakorn. Perfect PLace is more isolated for both shopping and transport. As far as Prawet (I live there) forget it because transport to work would be difficult without a personal car since there is little transport going from Prawet to Min Buri except minivans (death traps.)I would find temporary housing until your spouse gets acquainted with work and co-workers as well as the area.