Thai lower house passes political amnesty bill

webfact

It looks like PT and Thaksin are going to trash yet another high season for Thailand.

Good, you get what you deserve.

Why do we deserve the country being disrupted, yet again, by the Thaksin clans quest for power?

No one deserves this, least of all the average Thai citizen trying to go about their life without fear.

Clearly this is a big deal because we now see a 'concerted push' starting

to sway minds and build sentiment against the protest and for the plan.

This alway happens before something Thaksin wants his way.

It is Thailand not Farangland.

The Thai people are responsible for what they have created.

People have the choice to change and promote good things, but here they do not and are led to wherever the trough is the fullest.

• Like 1

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were indeed at it all night. The democrats, it is said, where getting frustrated at the house speaker for not allowing them to bring up points that have already been heard in the house before. This caused a democrat walk out at 0304 hrs.The meeting was recessed at this time and then recalled at 0320hrs and continued until 04.25 hrs after the result was finalised.

If what the Mrs tells me is reported on facebook is correct the Dems walked out after being refused the right to speak.

The third reading was then over and dusted within an hour.

PT democracy strikes again.

Well if the AFP report of 19 hours of heated debate is correct it would appear that the "facebook" page was wrong don't you think?

I listened to the debate for a while on the radio. I believe that the Dems put forward the names of 6 people who would debate the bill, but after the third Dem to speak the PT tried to get the Chairmen to wrap it up and go to the vote. The Dems were up in arms demanding the right for their other 3 appointed speakers to speak, at which point I went to watch a documentary as it was a forgone conclusion that it would pass.

Be nice to hear from all the red shirt / PTP sympathetic posters on here who have, since this amnesty bill idea was proposed by PTP all those months ago, insisted that it wasn't about Thaksin, and that people shouldn't rush to conclusions and should patiently wait.

If you don't feel stupid, you certainly should do. You know who you are.

I don't feel stupid. I felt that they would not do something as stupid. They have, or should I say, certain members of the committee have. If the original bill had gone forward and not been ambushed by the voting committee there would not have been all this commotion.

Likewise all those posters crowing about how upstanding the democrats were in voting against the bill - it'll be nice to hear from them too. How many times now is it that they boycott votes?

Respect to Dr Weng and his colleagues for at least having the guts to abstain rather than boycott the vote altogether. So much for the dems asking the PTP to vote against with them, what vote.

The Democrat Party is as much to blame as any here - whats their response - we'll head to the streets.

"Respect to Dr Weng and his colleagues for at least having the guts to abstain rather than boycott the vote altogether."

How is abstaining a show of guts? If they don't like it they should vote against it.

"The Democrat Party is as much to blame as any here - whats their response - we'll head to the streets."

It's not a Democratic issue anymore... It's an issue of what the people of Thailand want, and yes they have every right to take to the streets. The protests are beyond color as I see it.

And not voting at all, but walking out is a show of, just what exactly, petulance?

The other paper has a fine picture of democrat MP's watching, (whilst still in parliament during the amnesty bill debate?), tv coverage of the Democrat Party / Suthep led street protest

They were indeed at it all night. The democrats, it is said, where getting frustrated at the house speaker for not allowing them to bring up points that have already been heard in the house before. This caused a democrat walk out at 0304 hrs.The meeting was recessed at this time and then recalled at 0320hrs and continued until 04.25 hrs after the result was finalised.

So if the 4 red shirts leaders didn't vote as promised, and the democrats walked out, how there can be only 4 abstentions ?

If what the Mrs tells me is reported on facebook is correct the Dems walked out after being refused the right to speak.

Well if the AFP report of 19 hours of heated debate is correct it would appear that the "facebook" page was wrong don't you think?

I listened to the debate for a while on the radio. I believe that the Dems put forward the names of 6 people who would debate the bill, but after the third Dem to speak the PT tried to get the Chairmen to wrap it up and go to the vote. The Dems were up in arms demanding the right for their other 3 appointed speakers to speak, at which point I went to watch a documentary as it was a forgone conclusion that it would pass.

Thats strange, the other paper had it that the debate took the first 6 hours just deciding a name for the bill, presumably because of filibustering. Then there was a vote to postpone debate of Section 3 which was lost in a close vote. A few hours later the 2nd reading was completed. the 3rd reading followed and the vote finished the session at 4 am.

You must have been bored watching it, just hope the documentary was worth waiting up for?

• Like 1

So if the 4 red shirts leaders didn't vote as promised, and the democrats walked out, how there can be only 4 abstentions ?

Right ! I would have thought a walk out would be deemed as abstaining.

Thats strange, the other paper had it that the debate took the first 6 hours just deciding a name for the bill, presumably because of filibustering. Then there was a vote to postpone debate of Section 3 which was lost in a close vote. A few hours later the 2nd reading was completed. the 3rd reading followed and the vote finished the session at 4 am.

You must have been bored watching it, just hope the documentary was worth waiting up for?

I read what the Bangkok Post said. When I said I listened to the debate for a while, I meant only about half an hour and that was a 8:00 p.m. The documentary was far more entertaining.

I response to another of your posts, even if the Dems had voted against the bill, it would still have sailed through. So really not much point in hanging about. The Dems will not be hurt by not voting against the bill, as the public pretty much believes/understands that they are against it. Who may be hurt are the redshirt MPs who abstained rather than voting against it, which their red brethren wanted.

Be nice to hear from all the red shirt / PTP sympathetic posters on here who have, since this amnesty bill idea was proposed by PTP all those months ago, insisted that it wasn't about Thaksin, and that people shouldn't rush to conclusions and should patiently wait.

I don't feel stupid. I felt that they would not do something as stupid. They have, or should I say, certain members of the committee have. If the original bill had gone forward and not been ambushed by the voting committee there would not have been all this commotion.

Likewise all those posters crowing about how upstanding the democrats were in voting against the bill - it'll be nice to hear from them too. How many times now is it that they boycott votes?

Respect to Dr Weng and his colleagues for at least having the guts to abstain rather than boycott the vote altogether. So much for the dems asking the PTP to vote against with them, what vote.

The Democrat Party is as much to blame as any here - whats their response - we'll head to the streets.

"The Democrat Party is as much to blame as any here"

How low can you go in defence of PTP and Thaksin? There's not that much bottom to reach for.

Why didn't they vote against it as they said they would?

Now stick with me here and try and remain neutral, I know it's hard for you, but try.

Just imagine that enough PTP MP's had decided to vote against the bill, as requested by the democrats, that their vote coupled with the dems would have defeated the bill. What would they have felt when they saw the dems walking out? Why would you trust the democrat party?

So seeing that they cannot get into parliament by normal means, what do they do. Organise street protests in the hope that it will draw the attention of the Army who already have their amnesty through the constitution, the very constitution the dems wouldn't let the PTP change by coming up with specious challenges to the Constitution Court..

You want to talk about low.

Respect to Dr Weng and his colleagues for at least having the guts to abstain rather than boycott the vote altogether.

Amazing person you are. I think you have no clue what you are talking about...or..

You should have said:" Shame on Weng for betraying his Red shirt followers. Ho has done NOTHING to stop this bill. Only thing he is doing is not voting. Which has no effect on the outcome. It is clear that Thaksin is more important for him.

Wasn't Weng preaching for years that he would take Abhisit to the ICJ? He must have been lying.

• Like 1

Again you involve yourself in commentary you don't really understand.

Two points that have sailed over your head.

The Dems refused to vote as a protest at no being allowed to debate during a debate. Making it one sided all the way.

Secondly... This is probably going to be the most damaging thing to happen to the PTP, they are committing political suicide with this bill, you can see it by the fact that even the reds are stunned and against it. They have shot themselves in the foot big time, and now the touch paper is lit. This could be a fast track to a coup after a lot of civil unrest.

I was hoping that there would be no civil unrest, but I am kinda hoping there is plenty now.

The Dems could well end up profiting a lot from all this in the long run. I think they know that too.

Do you honestly think the PTP spent 19 hours talking to themselves? Or that the dems hung around for 19 hours before deciding they had enough?

"Respect to Dr Weng and his colleagues for at least having the guts to abstain rather than boycott the vote altogether."

How is abstaining a show of guts? If they don't like it they should vote against it.

"The Democrat Party is as much to blame as any here - whats their response - we'll head to the streets."

It's not a Democratic issue anymore... It's an issue of what the people of Thailand want, and yes they have every right to take to the streets. The protests are beyond color as I see it.

And not voting at all, but walking out is a show of, just what exactly, petulance?

The other paper has a fine picture of democrat MP's watching, (whilst still in parliament during the amnesty bill debate?), tv coverage of the Democrat Party / Suthep led street protest

Did Suthep also tell the protestors to bring a bottle of gasoline to burn down the city in case the 3rd bill would pass?

• Like 1

Not only have they passed the bill but they have sent out instructions to all provincial heads that they should erect signs saying how wonderful this bill is and how the people support it.

Attached a copy of the letter, in Thai obviously as it has been sent to Thais.

Someone might like to translate it more accurately.

post-12069-0-66970600-1383279733_thumb.j

There is also an example of what is required.

post-12069-0-96787700-1383280238_thumb.j

• Like 1

Respect to Dr Weng and his colleagues for at least having the guts to abstain rather than boycott the vote altogether.

Amazing person you are. I think you have no clue what you are talking about...or..

You should have said:" Shame on Weng for betraying his Red shirt followers. Ho has done NOTHING to stop this bill. Only thing he is doing is not voting. Which has no effect on the outcome. It is clear that Thaksin is more important for him.

Wasn't Weng preaching for years that he would take Abhisit to the ICJ? He must have been lying.

If he had voted for the bill he would have insulted his followers. You don't really understand the concept of abstaining, do you?

Telling all your party members that you are going to vote against and then refusing to vote - that's just defeatist, so very apt for the dems.

I quite sure it wasn't Weng preaching for years that he would take abhisit to the ICJ. To keep you happy let's just accept that "proposal" - don't you think it's disingenuous to assume that Weng could read the future and then call him a liar because he couldn't?

Did Suthep also tell the protestors to bring a bottle of gasoline to burn down the city in case the 3rd bill would pass?

I don't know, I wouldn't put it past him, did he?

Sorry, what was your point again?

I declare the games open, may the best team win.

I'd be waiting for it to clear the Senate before declaring them open ;)

Surprised the AG hasn't dropped the indictment of Abhsit and Suthep though.

Nothing like a bit of political gamesmenship to make life interesting I guess... Though, it would be nice if they came up with something a bit more creative, another protest? another coup? oh how cliché :P

"The Democrat Party is as much to blame as any here"

How low can you go in defence of PTP and Thaksin? There's not that much bottom to reach for.

Now stick with me here and try and remain neutral, I know it's hard for you, but try.

Just imagine that enough PTP MP's had decided to vote against the bill, as requested by the democrats, that their vote coupled with the dems would have defeated the bill. What would they have felt when they saw the dems walking out? Why would you trust the democrat party?

So seeing that they cannot get into parliament by normal means, what do they do. Organise street protests in the hope that it will draw the attention of the Army who already have their amnesty through the constitution, the very constitution the dems wouldn't let the PTP change by coming up with specious challenges to the Constitution Court..

Why imagine something that any sane person knows will never happen?

-Haven't you heard that Thaksin told the PT MPs to vote in favor of the bill? So you want people to image that PT MPs would not listen to paymaster Thaksin?

- Didn't you know that the best plan PT/Thaksin could come up with was to have three protest leaders not vote so at least they could confuse the Reds?

So are you confused or are you thinking everybody else is confused?

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

PT muppet. Its like you don't have any idea what the implications of this are, or you do and are just trolling.

Just answering a post. Ignoring your personal insult, do you have a different definition to trolling than I? See my signature.

Good, you get what you deserve.

Why do we deserve the country being disrupted, yet again, by the Thaksin clans quest for power?

No one deserves this, least of all the average Thai citizen trying to go about their life without fear.

Clearly this is a big deal because we now see a 'concerted push' starting

to sway minds and build sentiment against the protest and for the plan.

This alway happens before something Thaksin wants his way.

It is Thailand not Farangland.

The Thai people are responsible for what they have created.

People have the choice to change and promote good things, but here they do not and are led to wherever the trough is the fullest.

But everyone suffers from the machinations of this clan.

If you have no say in the matter because you have been conned,

then you are as much a victim as anyone. No matter where you come from.

The country was just getting back on it's feet from the last few years of political stupidity,

and now they seem set for yet another round. And the source of the troubles is obvious.

It is amazing that you this 'back on your feet'.

I am wondering if the spook people got the dates wrong with the 18th of last month and meant this month.

I declare the games open, may the best team win.

I'd be waiting for it to clear the Senate before declaring them open ;)

Surprised the AG hasn't dropped the indictment of Abhsit and Suthep though.

Nothing like a bit of political gamesmenship to make life interesting I guess... Though, it would be nice if they came up with something a bit more creative, another protest? another coup? oh how cliché :P[/quote

Think we might find ourselved living in interesting times again. But then I might be wrong - wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You brought up the Dr. Weng and his colleagues in your comment and yes in my opinion they took the cowards way by not voting their conscience against their party. That the Democrats walked for a number of reasons, but the vote would have been a lot more interesting had those PT MPs cast a vote. 3 against 310 would have gotten me there respect.

• Like 1

Why imagine something that any sane person knows will never happen.

-Haven't you heard that Thaksin told the PT MPs to vote in favor of the bill? So you want people to image that PT MPs would not listen to paymaster Thaksin.

- Didn't you know that the best plan PT/Thaksin could come up with was to have three protest leaders not vote so at least they could confuse the Reds?

Are you confused or are you thinking everybody else is confused?

4 of them didn't vote for the bill. Ah, I see, it's one of Thaksins' cunning plans.

120507_cn-smiley-face_p465.jpg

What do you mean, "certain members of the committee"? All PTP MPs, bar four abstentions, voted in favour of the bill.

As for "If the original bill had gone forward and not been ambushed by the voting committee there would not have been all this commotion.". Firstly, the original bill was never intended to go forward. That's what everyone besides PTP sympathisers like yourself, have been saying since that original bill was proposed. And so it has proven. And secondly, it wasn't the voting committee that ambushed things, it was your friend in Dubai, or wherever he is holed up these days, who has orchestrated this. If you can't see that, even now, you really are totally blind.

As for respecting Dr Weng for abstaining, if he had any guts he would have voted no. His reasoning for not is that he didn't want to side with the Dems. How pathetic is that? If you don't agree with a bill, vote against it, or if you think the vote is a farce and unconstitutional, then boycott it. If he did what the Dems did, it wouldn't mean he was supporting the Dems, or doing what the Dems were doing for the same reasons. He could have had his own reasons for voting no or boycotting. To say, well i'm not going to do that because that is what the Dems are doing, is childish beyond belief, and makes a compete mockery of his support of the red shirts.

You may remember there were at least 6 variations of amnesty bill put forward. There was only one bill put forward to go to vote in 2nd and 3rd readings. I didn't expect that certain members of the voting committee would amend it in the way they did. Of course you and your peers knew all along, as you have your finger on the pulse of whats happening in the PTP camp because you read it here or in the Nation or Blue Sky. Throw enough crap some of it's bound to stick.

As I have said of one poster I say of you , you really don't understand the concept of abstaining. It concerns the conscience of a person. Not a concept regularly shown by your role models , the democratic party who having told everybody that they were going to vote against just boycotted the vote instead.

Edited by fab4

You may remember there were at least 6 variations of amnesty bill put forward. There was only one bill put forward to got to vote in 1st 2nd and 3rd readings.

Excuse me Sir, there was one bill put forward inn the first reading.

There was another bill, which didn't belong to any of the 6 variations, put forward in the second and third reading.

Edited by jbrain