Phuket Top Cop demands tuk-tuks and taxis give up Patong parking spots

Lite Beer

Phuket Top Cop demands tuk-tuks and taxis give up Patong parking spots
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_2013112154356398_QzeWvwRyLQLP

Tuk-tuks line the street, leaving no parking for the public. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Phuket’s top cop promised yesterday to push tuk-tuks and taxis off of some of their regular patches, including Patong beach road, in order to create parking spots for the general public.

“We’ll have new parking zones set up in two weeks,” he said.

Police called in the heads of every taxi stand, as well as the people who lend drivers parking places, to make it clear that tuk-tuk and taxi drivers could not take up entire streets waiting for customers.

“We made them understand that they need to give some of the parking places back to the public,” said Phuket Provincial Commander Ong-art Phiwruangnont.

Maj Gen Ong-art made his promise at the fifth follow-up meeting to the establishment of the Department of Special Investigation’s organized crime center.

At the meeting, chaired by Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut, Gen Ong-art described the results of his investigation into illegal taxis on the island.

“Phuket doesn’t have a big mafia problem,” Gen Ong-art said.

“The problem is that some groups of people are selfish and greedy. And we can’t get rid of them instantly, because they’ve been here for so long,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Top-Cop-demands-tuk-tuks-and-taxis-give-up-Patong-parking-spots-22698.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-02

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like how the current police chief says things as they are.

There might indeed be a major order from high up to clean Phuket. All the signs are there, but naturally it's not overnight job.

Maybe Phuket can survive after all?

Park in a 'Tuk Tuk' place at your own peril - risk all flat tyres or worse.

Try it, but remember to take an video of the event. Publish it on youtube.

Wait couple of weeks and try it again. At this time your car should be just fine.

Every mishap with the tuk-tuk's are under scrutiny at the moment. When was the last time we heard of tuk-tuk or taxi drivers beating their customers? Those used to be weekly or at least monthly things just half an year ago. There might be some, but at least for me it feels that the numbers are down.

I was at the FIVB volleyball tournament yesterday and a hapless Russian parked in a spot designated for tuk tuk/taxi. (There was no parking to be had in sight, and the tuk tuk guys must have had about 7-8 empty spots coned off with "tuk tuk/taxi" hand panted on the curb and ground.) The Russian played the "I don't understand" card and two tuk tuk guys started to get very verbal with him. I stepped closer thinking I was about to have to drag te Russian away before getting pummeled, but he finally got the hint and moved his car after getting a good yelling at.

No, try it with a big rental company and video it. Then call them and the police.

Repeat.

That's if a number of people want to help some action on them. And don't really care about their own personal safety. :D

There is still something happening, but at least at http://phukettuktuks.com/ there seems to be less news at the moment.

This was dated at 1st of October 2013. The previous report on that site was on April 2013. Maybe the site manager is not so much involved yet, or there has been a real change for the past months.

^ I think many share your dream.

FYI tuk tuks don't run on LPG, they run on petrol.

You mean some of the tuk-tuks here in Chiang Mai are using the wrong fuel?

Maybe someone should remove the "LPG" stickers from the round cylindrical tanks bolted to the ass-end so the gas jockeys know what goes where.

You mean some of the tuk-tuks here in Chiang Mai are using the wrong fuel?

Maybe someone should remove the "LPG" stickers from the round cylindrical tanks bolted to the ass-end so the gas jockeys know what goes where.

Chiang Mai does not equal Phuket when it comes to tuk tuks qdinthailand. This particular thread is about Phuket tuk tuks and how they dominate all the decent parking all over the island.

• Like 1

Don't these guys lease the parking from the police ?

That's the problem with Thai police.

Enforcing the law cuts into their personel income.

I guess you could say they are enforcing the law and these tuktuks every month pay a "fine".

There is still something happening, but at least at http://phukettuktuks.com/ there seems to be less news at the moment.

This was dated at 1st of October 2013. The previous report on that site was on April 2013. Maybe the site manager is not so much involved yet, or there has been a real change for the past months.

I love Thailand, and generally speaking I love Thai people, but 8 versus 1 is just cowardly and kudos to the Aussie for pulling a gun because apparently this is the only way to teach them apart from beating the shit out of them!

• Like 1

I love Thailand, and generally speaking I love Thai people, but 8 versus 1 is just cowardly and kudos to the Aussie for pulling a gun because apparently this is the only way to teach them apart from beating the shit out of them!

Let's not start the discussion about this illegal Aussie taxi driver again shall we?

• Like 1

I dream of taking an Abrams tank to Phuket and crush all those pieces of sh** tuk tuks and other scum that populate that silly island.

Laughing insanely whle the LPG tanks blow.

Should provide the best entertainment in years.

Ah but the burning propane tanks and explosions would take out your Abrams .. propane had more explosive force than dynamite in case you don't know

Edited by capt_canada42

Can't speak for Phuket as my memory fails me however in Bangkok there are several running on LPG.

If you can't speak for Phuket, whu bother posting in a thread here, which is clearly about Phuket. And no, no LPG tuktuks here.

• Like 1

“Phuket doesn’t have a big mafia problem,” Gen Ong-art said.

Like the rest of thailand did not have a flood problem ........

wai.gif

“Phuket doesn’t have a big mafia problem,” Gen Ong-art said, "it's f***ing enormous"....!

Fear is the thugs best weapon. It costs nothing and carries to the four corners. Once in Pattaya I got blocked in by the Baht Bus Boys who had and still claim areas as "Theirs". I managed without damage to myself or the insured car to come through unscathed.

Carefully take their photo with your camera, as well as pictures of their trucks and have witnesses to their threats. You safety is paramount and consider getting the local copper to come over so there is an official present.

Yes, I know what the nay sayers have in their magical tool box. "All the cops are all corrupt" and they won't risk loosing tea money. Heard it all before and since I have not met each and every cop in Thailand, I venture to say neither has anyone else.

Times are changing, slowly perhaps, but changing. The bottom feeders will continue to intimidate and sew fear until the Sheeples fight back.

Think, think, think.

• Like 1

Wait couple of weeks and try it again. At this time your car should be just fine.

Every mishap with the tuk-tuk's are under scrutiny at the moment. When was the last time we heard of tuk-tuk or taxi drivers beating their customers? Those used to be weekly or at least monthly things just half an year ago. There might be some, but at least for me it feels that the numbers are down.

Maybe it's just the number of reports or the number of reports that hit the news that are down.

Can't speak for Phuket as my memory fails me however in Bangkok there are several running on LPG.

If you can't speak for Phuket, whu bother posting in a thread here, which is clearly about Phuket. And no, no LPG tuktuks here.

Because he is entitled to.

• Like 1