Thai Visa on entry to bangkok airport by UK

I'm from the UK planning to come over for around 2 months. I haven't arranged a visa in advance. On entry will I just be issued a tourist visa on entry for 30 days?

Do I then need to go on a visa run, exit and enter and get a 15/30 day visa?

Is there a better way to do it? I haven't got time to apply for a visa in advance as I leave shortly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The quickie answer is that you can get a 30-day visa exempt entry at BKK but you may need to show an air ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days of your entry in order to check-in & board the plane in UK.

The you could just do a RT to Kuala Lampur (and maybe never even leave the KL airport) and get a second 30 day and TTBOMK they will not ask for a 30 day outbound ticket in KL

Edited by JLCrab

It usually only takes 1 or 2 days to get a tourist visa.....thus get your act right...

You might be denied boarding at your airport of departure by the airline if you travel on a +30 days return ticket without a visa.

Check-in employees have the visa requirements on their computer terminal and if they do their job correctly,

I do have a permission of stay for Thailand and have my passport/visa checked 50% of the time, travel 2x/year to Europe.

• Like 1

Unless you are leaving within a very few days you might have time to get a tourist visa that would give you a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

The honorary consulates accept mail in applications. You could have a visa in just a few days doing it by mail.

• Like 1

as far as i know you won't have a visa when you get here if you are a UK passport holder. you are looking to enter on an exemption. if you have time i would get to a consulate and see if you can get one in a day. Many years ago my place of choice, Cardiff. Good luck.

The gent said in Post #1 that he is leaving 'shortly' and does not have time to get a tourist visa. Getting a tourist visa is obviously the preferable solution but maybe he has other obligations prior to his departure that will prevent him from doing so.

Where are you in the UK? Im from the North East so i use the Thai consulate in Hull. Call them today to make an appointment and go there tomorrow, you get your tourist visa in 10 minutes. Maybe possible to go the same day you call if their not busy.

If you do come here without a visa, you will be visa exempt and recieve 30 days. After that 30 days you can get 15 day extra from immigration, after those 15 days you must leave the country ie a border run. However these back to back visa border runs are now becomming quite strict. Or you can go to Kuala Lumpar in Malaysia for a day and then come back and get your 30 days again.

Best bet is get the right visa before you arrive. A lot less mess about than going to Cambodia on a race prepared mini bus, and putting your life in the hands of someone else.

Dont forget return ticket and travel insurance. Another boat capsized yesterday with 200 passengers on it. Keep off the jet skis and dont wear gold.

Enjoy the place.

...good quality, nice all-round reply!!!

You received some good posts here.

If you can't spare a few hours to get a 60 day tourist visa I would suggest the following:-

Book a flight for your visa run before leaving UK - reason you should have no problems at check-in ie. as one poster said they could refuse you and with Thai visa rules changing very recently what applied yesterday may not apply today but airlines work differently, even if the Thai immigration rules are the same so you can show you are leaving in 30 days. Secondly it means you can show you are leaving Thailand so no problems with immigration here.

I do dress smartly but have been asked at Suvie for my return ticket one time when I was just making a short trip over and didn't need a longer visa.

It certainly not an "urban myth" that onward or return ticket is required if you do not have a visa or re-entry permit. There have been many reports of this happening. Even a few where a person had to purchase a very expensive return ticker.

Enter the info on this webpage: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

Screen shot for UK traveler.

post-66997-13836273039427_thumb.jpg

The gent said in Post #1 that he is leaving 'shortly' and does not have time to get a tourist visa. Getting a tourist visa is obviously the preferable solution but maybe he has other obligations prior to his departure that will prevent him from doing so.

The gentleman also said he was 'planning' so I am not sure we have to take him literally.

A Visa you can get within 24 Hours from London Thai Embassy for £50.00. This will cover you for 90 Days

If you don't apply for a Visa you will get 30 Days then you will need to fly out and back in for an additional 30 Days - This is my understanding

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A Visa you can get within 24 Hours from London Thai Embassy for £50.00. This will cover you for 90 Days

If you don't apply for a Visa you will get 30 Days then you will need to fly out and back in for an additional 30 Days - This is my understanding �

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Single entry Tourist visa is £25. Will provide a stay of 60 days but is extendable for a futher 30 days on application to a local immigration office (cost 1900 Bht)

Maybe the guy is nowhere near London or any other Thai consulate and is staying in a different hotel or friend's house every night with no fixed schedule prior to leaving shortly so there is no way to do a 2-way visa mailing to him.

... and maybe next time he'll make better preparations.

Edited by JLCrab

It certainly not an "urban myth" that onward or return ticket is required if you do not have a visa or re-entry permit. There have been many reports of this happening. Even a few where a person had to purchase a very expensive return ticker.

Enter the info on this webpage: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

Thank you for proving my point Ubonjoe :)

The screen shot and webpage are from a consortium of airlines called Star Alliance !

Actually it comes from a IATA website after you enter the required info. They get the info from all countries they don't make up the rules themselves. They also publish manuals with the info for use by airlines and travel agents.
  • Like 1

Thank you for proving my point Ubonjoe smile.png

The screen shot and webpage are from a consortium of airlines called Star Alliance !

Actually it comes from a IATA website after you enter the required info. They get the info from all countries they don't make up the rules themselves. They also publish manuals with the info for use by airlines and travel agents.

Precisely - my point entirely - Airlines and Travel Agents colluding to sell return tickets !

I have entered Thailand 51 times in the last 17 years - 22 times by air and 29 times by land and NEVER had to show a ticket out

So where do they get their information from, certainly NOT from Thai Immigration ?

The IATA certainly do get the info from all the 190 (more or less) countries in the world. The airlines pay them to provide them to gather and compile the info.

The airlines can be fined and have to pay for a return ticket if a person who is denied entry to any country if it is found that they allowed a passenger to board a flight that was not qualified to enter. There are international treaties that govern this.

Thai immigration do not often ask for tickets out of the country for visa exempt entries because they know that the airlines do check that passengers meet the requirements.

Edited by ubonjoe

Papadragon has , clearly been fortunate in his travels !

However to deny that airlines check that an individual has the necessary clearance to enter a country is nonsense.

When I flew last from Thailand to Australia on a UK passport the check in staff looked up my Australian (electronic) visa prior to printing my boarding card.

I suspect if no visa had shown up I would, without question , have been denied boarding

• Like 1