An unexpected pleasant surprise.

benalibina

I don't know....the 2 baht difference....I pay attention to it out of principle. Also, if I am getting charged 2 baht extra per day on some article, that makes 10 baht, which is pretty much all a massive amount of drinking water costs for a week....so...yeah, I care about the 2 baht. Who cares whether it is 2 baht or 20 baht..it is money I earned, after taxes, mind you. Sometimes shop owners tell me to take something for a baht less if I am a baht or two short because they don't want to change a large bill. I always give the baht back to them the next time I buy something. Ok, I stop at satangs, which.....notably, 7-11 likes to count, as do banks.

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great story. I have had just as many great experiences and several negative experiences during my time I'm Thailand. In the retail sector customer service has improved 400% in the past 12 years.

It appears the OP may be from a place that didn't send out the memo about 35 years ago that smoking kills. Not only the slow witted that continue to smoke because of mental and physical addiction issues but innocent lives in their orbit are put at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

great story......then have a go at smoking...his life choice if he wants too smoke..if he enjoys im happy for him..i dont .but were here not in uk or wherever telling me how i have to conform to there demands..glad i left....w00t.gif

Not a customer service surprise, but I had an English student reply to my "why do you learn English question with" "My Father (Thai) brought some records home from U.S.A and I wanted to sing with Elvis and Mr Holly. so I learned English." Mr. Holly indeed! I was pleasantly surprised for sure.

• Like 1

I came out the supermarket the other week, put my change in my pocket- 340 baht- walked off down the road. Getting near my condo a guy comes up on a motorbike. Apparently the money had slipped out my pocket, he's seen it, and shot off down the road to return it to me. So I was pleasantly surprised that he'd bothered rather than just keep it. :)

And was less pleasantly surprised by what an idiot I can be sometimes. :(

• Like 2

I came out the supermarket the other week, put my change in my pocket- 340 baht- walked off down the road. Getting near my condo a guy comes up on a motorbike. Apparently the money had slipped out my pocket, he's seen it, and shot off down the road to return it to me. So I was pleasantly surprised that he'd bothered rather than just keep it. smile.png

And was less pleasantly surprised by what an idiot I can be sometimes. sad.png

Congratulations...gay pride

This is going back in time about ten years,my first time in Thailand.We stayed with a group of four in a nice hotel and in the evenings we took a taxi to the Hardrock Hotel.The cost was the same for three trips,80 baht.

The last evening we went the driver went the wrong way and we protested,he ignored us.

We came to a stop at the Hardrock Hotel,40 baht.

Late last year, I mailed a request to MRI Udon Thani from the U.S. to make me two new receipts for MRIs my wife received in 2011. I enclosed a $5 bill to cover return postage.

They returned the $5 to me wink.png along with the new receipts.

realenglish1, on 04 Nov 2013 - 15:46, said:snapback.png

I have a better idea QUITE SMOKING

Thought the warnings on the packets would say it all. But chain smoking makes it worse. As your username suggests you must be in the educational sector, right?

And maybe working for an agency, teaching the 'real" Eankglish # 1 Your writing style's similar to Bob's from ABC agency, one of the top ones in LOS.

My unexpected unpleasant surprise this morning was, while having diarrhea, it turned out that there was neither water, nor toilet paper.Quite nasty and disgusting that they wanted eight baht for toilet paper.. coffee1.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

What kind of cigarette cost 48 baht?

FIL smokes SMS Menthol 38 baht a pack, I know because I buy them smile.png

X2 or X brand ( American Blend) from Cambodia. only 30 baht. Better cig than Wonder Dan.

Better in what way?

Less poisonous?whistling.gif

Better flavor.

Maybe a smoke Nazi?

Guess we need someone to judge us.

Thanks!

The purpose of the post was to enquire about pleasant experiences not to start a chain about the dangers of cigarettes but then that is the nature of reformed smokers - only too quick to let everybody know what outstanding human beings they are because they have managed to quit.

• Like 2

It is the little things in life that sometimes make it all worth while. Smoker or not, getting something back, anything in fact, as change from the money that everyone here thinks you pick from your farang money tree at home is a nice thing. Smoke if you want to, or don't of you want to. Just enjoy all you can, when you can... and remember to smile no matter what the price or at what cost. It is just easier that way here in LOS.

We were once in Phuket and my wife saw as a driver from these small "buses" tried to charge a tourist a few Baht more than she paid.

She first asked him why, he told something silly, about the farangs can pay more.

She shouted at him what evil person he is, that his doing damage the reputation of Thailand at hole and the Kingdom + supplied translation to English of what she was shouting for the benefit of the other Farangs there.

The driver didn't say one word, just tried to disappear into his seat.

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

regarding double pricing

In patong i bought cigarettes with thai price of 48 bth but i had to pay 50 bth

Is 50 baht double 48 baht?

I find it somewhat amazing that anyone even takes notice of differences of 2 baht for small purchases. It sounds like a character being parodied by Dickens.

In any event it's rather sad if you think paying the standard price for something is unexpected and that it's the only thing pleasant you've found about living in Thailand.

It's nice that you wanted to share a positive thing with everyone here at the hub of moaning and whining, but this is actually the definition of trying to dam_n with faint praise. Rather like telling someone he doesn't sweat much for a fat man.

dam_n with faint praise,

assent with civil leer,

And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;

Willing to wound,

and yet afraid to strike,

Just hint a fault,

and hesitate dislike. "Epistle to Dr Arbuthnot" by Alexander Pope

Silly man !

• Like 1

For me, it is as you say. I encounter a few who try to overprice and then someone comes running out of a shop with the 100 bt I dropped while in there!

The amazing thing about life is that just when you think you have it all figured out, something comes along and changes the boundaries.

It's great!

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised when I quit smoking. After I told myself: yeah you are doing good, man. You no longer invest in your own death. That's something.

That was not the point. There are other threads on 'Non-Smoking'.

That was my point.

2 baht a pack, you could really get serious counseling to help out with your unhealthy addiction.

The purpose of the post was to enquire about pleasant experiences not to start a chain about the dangers of cigarettes but then that is the nature of reformed smokers - only too quick to let everybody know what outstanding human beings they are because they have managed to quit.

I quite agree with what you said ! Now I've got that off my chest I'm going to roll myself a smoke and go enjoy it biggrin.png

Positive experiences:having to much to drink after a meal in a restaurant in karon beach many moons ago i forgot my camera and sunglasses and went back the day after and all was returned to me by the staff .

Last year i was staying in buriram town with my now ex inlaws and bought a micrwave in home pro to warm up my youngest son milkbottles a full demonstration was given by the sales lady about said microwave and after agreement on purchase microwave was put back in the cardboard box and carried to the car by a store clerk ,never had service like that in my country.

Going to immigration in swampy and immigration lady from the Thai pasport counter waved me over to get my passport stamped for me and my youngest son because an airplain load of russians did not fill in theyre arrival departure card.

Not only the slow witted that continue to smoke because of mental and physical addiction issues but innocent lives in their orbit are put at risk.

Have you ever considered that some people casually smoke while drinking for the pure enjoyment of the taste (much like smoking shisha) whether we are discussing traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigarellos (black and mild style cigars), cigars or shisha. In the modern world, there are E-Cigarettes that come in a multitude of flavors - menthol, cherry, vanilla, etc. Everyone is their own keeper and if they choose to smoke or not, drink to excess or not, pay for sex or not, whatever - is of their own cognitive choice and neither deserve to be insulted nor judged by anyone. You can find something wrong, dark, disgusting, etc. about anyone if you look close enough - and I'm sure you wouldn't like to be called 'slow witted' for the skeletons you keep in your closet yet are quick to label smokers as such? Let he without sin cast the first stone. (Even for a non believer this statement should carry some serious weight in regards to individual morality)

I was pleasantly surprised when I quit smoking. After I told myself: yeah you are doing good, man. You no longer invest in your own death. That's something.

That was not the point. There are other threads on 'Non-Smoking'.

That was my point.

2 baht a pack, you could really get serious counseling to help out with your unhealthy addiction.

Am on it. Thanks.

If your pleasantly surprised to be paying the correct price for a packet of ciggies I feel for you.

That's cheap, stoneyboy..wink.png

The real story benalibana ventilated here, has to be emphasized as a positive experience about Thailand he whishes to share. I can relatesmile.png.

• Like 1