Legality of exiting withhold passport after new one as arrived...

I just received my new UK passport and still have my old one which I've not cut off the corners yet. My old passport is 99% full but there'd still be enough room for a exit stamp out of Thailand.

I am thinking of leaving the country next week when my tourist visa expires and not applying for an extension or transferring the tourist visa to the new passport. This is to avoid the new passport being stamped with details of my previous tourist visas in case this reduces my chance of obtaining another. I am not working here. My question is if any poster knows the legality of still using the old passport when I already have a new one, and going into say Laos or Cambodia but then on arriving using the new one for the first time, and applying for a new Thai visa with it. Therefore the old passport for exiting Thailand and new one for arriving In Cambodia......

Much appreciation for any help here..

you will need to present whichever passport you travelled into Thailand on at immigration in BKK on leaving and at the original point of travel. That's the passport number they have recorded in their computer.

After which the old passport is nullified, unless you still have an active visa in it e.g. residency or work. if so keep carrying it when you travel to the countries with those visas.

I know cos I just did it with mine 6 months ago

• Like 1

Your old UK passport has been cancelled at the airports (not sure about land crossings). Wherever you leave at you'll have to show both passports and they will stamp your newer passport and link the info into their computers.

No need to go to any main immigration office because they cannot swap the stamps over as your new passport was issued outside of Thailand.

You should not be in possession of 2 valid passports. Cut the corner off your old one.

Maybe exit on old passport with new one in your pocket, if questioned just say oh sorry thought as your old one had your entry stamp you had to use it to exit, if a problem now give them the new one I am sure that way no problem

I was in that situation years ago. When I crossed the border to Malaysia to apply for a new visa, the procedure in Naratiwatwas:

- I presented both passports to the immigration officer.

- Officer wrote a note in the old passport (invalidated already at that time) next to the last entry stamp, that the exit stamp for this stay is in passport NEWNUMBER.

- Officer stamped me out in the new passport. Next to it he wrote a notice, that this exit stamp belongs to the entry stamp in passport OLDNUMBER.

Years later...

Passport NEWNUMBER expired, I was in the country on retirement visa. The passport was full, I applied for a new one at the local consulate. When I received the new one, the old one was invalidated by the consulate. Since the extension of stay was still valid, I went to the immigration office in Phuket, presented both passports and the extension was transferred to the new passport. The process took about 5 minutes and the service was free.

• Like 1

Maybe exit on old passport with new one in your pocket, if questioned just say oh sorry thought as your old one had your entry stamp you had to use it to exit, if a problem now give them the new one I am sure that way no problem

They would certainly ask because the corners are already cut off.

Why try to hide the new one. All there will be in new passport is an entry and exit stamp.

Thanks for all comments. Interesting that the old passport should already be cancelled. Didn't think that Immigration would be linked up with British Consulate on new passport issues.

You might be surprised, then you would be explaining why you are trying to travel on a cancelled passport.

Maybe the airline would be aware too......travelling BA?

You can't do it you will need to show both passports. Immigration at the airport or border will transfer your entry/permit to stay stamp into new passport and stamp you out in it. A visa is never transfered.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My 'Retirement visa' and 'Multiple Entry' was transferred to my new passport here in Hua-Hin. Cost me about 300B if I remember. I didn't know what the procedure should be, so went to the Immigration office to ask and they said it had to be transferred. Maybe it's different where you are; as we all know, that what one Immigration office does doesn't mean that another will do.

You can't do it you will need to show both passports. Immigration at the airport or border will transfer your entry/permit to stay stamp into new passport and stamp you out in it. A visa is never transfered.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. My 'Retirement visa' and 'Multiple Entry' was transferred to my new passport here in Hua-Hin. Cost me about 300B if I remember. I didn't know what the procedure should be, so went to the Immigration office to ask and they said it had to be transferred. Maybe it's different where you are; as we all know, that what one Immigration office does doesn't mean that another will do. 
I suspect that you had an extension of stay not a visa transferred. They would of just put info in new passport about your visa entry. There is no official fee for the transfer.

A visa from an embassy or consulate will not be transfered. If a person has a valid visa they have to use both passports until visa expires.

Cutting the corners off the old one is rather a pointless requirement. It is really only for you to be able to tell the difference as per a Home Office friend of mine.

The fact remains that the old passport is 'dead' (cancelled). Its number and chip have been recorded as such. Traveling on it or passing it off as valid can be considered as a criminal offense. So you will need to present BOTH passports at the time of your departure (the old one, because it has you entry stamp and Visa in it and is the passport number LOS has you registered under as entering the Kingdom & the new one, because it is the only VALID passport you have). But you may get lucky and have the Immigration officer at the airport here stamp you out on the old one as they do like to keep things organized or you may not get one that was never trained on what to do in this situation. I doubt it, but you never know. You could always ask if they would do that... you know play the Farang stupid tourist role and smile a good deal... might work. Could be worth the try....?

I do hear you about wanting the new one 'clean' of Thai stamps... but why do you think that would be a problem? With the new rule change that started November 1 this year (30-days and BOTH land and airport entries for G7 members... so the UK included) and the fact that you can come and go from LOS as often as you like (as long as you abide by the visa regulations), as well as the chances of you being denied entry are slim to none (as long as you are not Wanted anywhere or drunk or unruly at the time of entry)... I would not worry about the exit stamp.Besides your record of travel into and out of LOS will be recorded anyway in their system (well it is a safe bet anyway... better to think that than not to) so they will know anyhow. At least you do not have the difficulty, and it is mind you (!), of having to get things moved from one passport to another (which IS possible and not as one poster has mentioned). So enjoy the 'clean' pages and have a great trip!

Just did the same last month. I handed over my old passport with 10 holes punched into it to the junior immigration lady and was looking at her face to see how she would react. She turned her face to the senior lady and made a statement in Thai that my passport looked like an Emmentaler Cheese. The senior lady looked at me and pointed to my new passport I was holding in my hands. She stamped my new passport and off I went to the gate.

Your old passport will now be invalid unless you have applied to have 2 passports, so you cannot use it in isolation. So, you will need to show both to immigration so they can see your valid visa, but they will then stamp your new passport. Not sure if they will transfer the visa, they may just expect you to show both passports until your visa expires and then the new visa will go in your new passport.

How come the corners of your old passport haven't been cut off? You can't have two valid passports at the same time. Normally when you apply for a new one you have to give them the old one first, they'll invalidate it and then you get the new handed over.

I had my New Zealand passport stolen in Pattaya, I applied for new one but would not arrive in time for my flight back out of Bangkok, I tried to get out with my UK passport but no chance even though I showed a copy of the stolen one and a police report. I had to show a new NZ passport. I received it and took around 1 hr at the airport immigration to check my entry's on their computer, bloody night mare, show the 2 passports as they have to see your entry stamp from when you came in.

How come the corners of your old passport haven't been cut off? You can't have two valid passports at the same time. Normally when you apply for a new one you have to give them the old one first, they'll invalidate it and then you get the new handed over.

When applying to renew a UK passport from Thailand you have to send it (cannot be issued in Thailand) and do not need to send the old passport anymore.

The is no "normally".

It depends on the country of issue.

UK passports are not sent with the application and remain with the "user". (Have to be precise on TV...., the ownership of a UK passport is the Great UK Government, headed by a bunch of economically illiterate schoolboys)

I went Lao last week same you two pass, stamp out on old .lao sent me back over . Had to have stamp out on new, came back show two passports no problem not cut corners still heve visa in old., going out of thailand easy. Getting into Lao not.,,they want exit stamp in new.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

According to what I was told by the British Embassy you cannot have 2 valid passports in circulation. I suppose for security reasons.

Entirely possible if one has good reason for requiring two passports ie Very difficult to enter some Middle Eastern countries if a passport contains an Israeli visa/stamp.

I show two only because my visa in the old it runs out soon . I Do not want to transfer it and lose a page.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Visas are never transferred. A visa,if valid,remains so even in an expired passport.

Showing both passports is then mandatory if the visa is to be used.

Your old passport will now be invalid unless you have applied to have 2 passports, so you cannot use it in isolation. So, you will need to show both to immigration so they can see your valid visa, but they will then stamp your new passport. Not sure if they will transfer the visa, they may just expect you to show both passports until your visa expires and then the new visa will go in your new passport.

In my situation with my stolen one they had to put a copy entry stamp in with the date I entered and that was all it needed in my new one.