Hair Clippers 120v power supply is 230v

Nowisee

I have a Wahl KM2 model clipper I brought with me along with about 12 Stainless Steel blades. The whole set up is about $200 invested.

They are 120v, 60Hz, 17watts.

My power source in my condo is 230v, 50Hz.

So, do I try and find a stepdown transformer to 120v and match the 60Hz? NO clue where to find something like that or how much it will cost.

OR, find another clipper motor that will be able to use the same clipper blades.

OR, chuck the whole thing and start over with something bought locally?

Where do all the Barber Shops, Beauty shops, etc. buy their equipment and supplies in Chiang Mai?

I used the clippers for about 5 minutes, I don't think I did any damage to them...

You can buy a simple 220-110v transformer in Amorn electronics, (Amorn is in Ikon square, Hangdong Road Big C and Big C extra) however you may run into problems with the difference in the mains frequency, it probably will not like it. I understand the cheaper converters produce something more akin to a square wave instead of a sine wave and that too can cause problems. It may be easier to go into Robinsons at Airport Plaza on the very top floor and buy a trimmer for here. Amorn also sell cheap hair trimmers or at least the one in Hangdong Road Big C had some the other day.

Edit:

This may be of interest to you: http://www.edaboard.com/thread225815.html One Person on this site contacted Wahl over the same problem you have, Wahl's response was they will not work with a converter, buy one of our battery models!

Edited by Dellboy218

I am surprised that your clippers is still OK given the fact that anything that is not designed for Thai voltage will burn out in a matter of seconds.

So, that leads me to believe that your clippers is meant for worldwide usage. Check the wording imprinted near the cord or perhaps on the plug itself. These days many personal grooming appliances as well as chargers for cell phones, cameras, and computers, are able to handle voltage 110~220 (or similar).

However, if you're still needing a converter, you can buy them here in Chiang Mai, although I'm not sure just where. Maybe at Robinson's or Central department stores, or Amorn Electronics in various locations, one being next to Computer Plaza on the north side of the moat. http://goo.gl/maps/VZdjw

post-55993-0-20566200-1383747183_thumb.j

• Like 1

You can use a "step down" transformer to go from 220VAC to 120VAC. But it will NOT convert the Thai 50Hz to the American 60Hz. You will be running at 120VAC 50Hz. Consequently, the motor will run slower. Some motors are damaged if run on the wrong frequency for a long period, but this should not be an issue for you. If the motor speed is fast enough, just use them until they die. Home Pro sells step down transformers.

But, as a poster above said, any 120V appliance that gets plugged into 220V, usually goes up in a puff of smoke almost instantly. Very strange, your saying you ran the 120V clippers at 220V for five minutes.

When I started them the first time they ran at about double the speed they normally do. Being and idiot about the voltage I just continued to cut my hair. It took about 5 mintues.

They worked ok, albeit a little funny sounding when turned off, but definitely not smoked... maybe another run would kill them.

Maybe it's worth running them on a converter until they die. I'll price out the converters in the places mentioned. Running slower is going to be fine for intended purpose. I'll take the clippers with me to the place and see if they let me try it out first.

Otherwise, I will look around for a similar clipper/motor to what I have. I'll also look online for something to buy on ebay or where... I have never bought anything online in Thailand...so, not sure. I hear stories about it not showing up...getting lost in the postman's home.

Still wondering where the barber shops buy their clippers/blades in CM.

The clippers in the department stores do not use the blades I have. They usually only have the one blade with an adjustment lever. It will work if that's all that's available...but, rather use my blades if possible.

Pinot: Where are you referring to specifically.

Thanks to all the replys.

OR, I can I buy from Wahl in

Wahl customer service email reply was useless... something like, "it will not work"...hahaha

If you ran your clippers for 5 minutes they are probably ok for 220v. I have a Norelco (Philips) electric shaver that I bought in US (110v) and it works fine here in Thailand (220v) with no need for an adapter. If the motor sounds right and doesn't get hot you should be good to go. It seems like most recent electronics are designed for world-wide usage..

If you ran your clippers for 5 minutes they are probably ok for 220v. I have a Norelco (Philips) electric shaver that I bought in US (110v) and it works fine here in Thailand (220v) with no need for an adapter. If the motor sounds right and doesn't get hot you should be good to go. It seems like most recent electronics are designed for world-wide usage..

The clippers ran at about twice their normal speed. And after the 5 mintutes there was an unusual sound as the motor was turned off. I think it's ok for the time being....but, one or two more runs might do them in.