Suthep and eight other Democrat MPs resign

Lite Beer

Suthep and eight other Democrat MPs resign
The Nation

Suthep Thaugsuban announced Monday evening that he and eight other Democrat MPs decided to resign as MPs to fight alongside with the people against the "evil government".

He made the announcement on the rally stage at the Democracy Monument at 6:40 pm.

The eight other MPs are Thavorn Senniem, Satit Wongnongtaey, Witthaya Kaewparadai, Issara Somchai, Chumphon Junsai, Puttipong Kunnakan, Ekkanat Promphan, and Natthapol Theepsuwan.

Suthep said the resignation took effect immediately and he and the MPs would submit their official resignations Tuesday.

Suthep made the announcement after the deadline for the government to terminate the amnesty bill by 6 pm has expired.

Suthep opened the so-called "the people's court" to try the Yingluck government.

He then asked the people for a resolution whether to keep on fighting against the government and the protesters applauded and cheered as a Yes answer.

As part of the fight, Suthep called for all people to stop working on November 13, 14 and 15 and called on students and lecturers to halt all classes

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-11

Democrat MP Suthep, 8 fellow MPs resign en mass to lead anti-govt street protest
By English News

13841788851391-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 11 - Former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban and eight fellow MPs from the opposition Democrat Party today announced they would resign from the House of Representatives tomorrow in order to fully join the anti-government rally.

The departing Democrat MPs include MP for Surat Thani Suthep Thaugsuban, Songkhla MP Thaworn Senneam, Trang MP Satit Wongnongtoey, Nakhon Si Thammarat MP Witthaya Kaewparadai, Chumphon MP Jumphon Junsai, party-list MP Issara Somchai, Bangkok MPs Puttipong Punnakan, Akkanat Prompan, Nattaphol Teepsuwan.

They announced their resignation in front of the crowds who joined the anti-amnesty bill and anti-government demonstration at the Democracy Monument on Rachadamnoen Avenue.

The lawmakers reasoned that they decided to resign from the legislature in order to join the protest at full capacity and that their anti-government role should not affect the Democrat Party as the ruling Pheu Thai Party is seeking the party's dissolution.

Former deputy premier Suthep, who directed the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) during the political demonstrations in 2010, said he would submit his letter of resignation to the House Speaker at 11am Tuesday.

Mr Suthep also urged the public to adopt four measures for civil disobedience including three-day work stoppages for private companies and businesses Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week (Nov 13-15) to join rallies nationwide, delaying mid-year tax submissions, raising the national flag at homes as a symbolic gesture of fighting for the nation and blowing whistles at the prime minister and her cabinet members.

Another MP, Mr Thaworn, said he could not accept an "authoritarian parliament". He pledged to fight on behalf of the people without parliamentary immunity. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-11

I can't see a mass number of people going on strike for 3 days, but it may double the numbers at the protest on Ratchadamnoen, although little will change if the government sits still and does nothing and the red shirts are kept at bay in Muangthong.

Still the potential is there for the reds to pour into Bangkok for a confrontation, and that is the worry for some people.

So, who will represent their constituents in government now?

totster rolleyes.gif

They are not in the government. They are the opposition.

And if you mean Parliament, I think they have abandoned it as a joke already.

Actually, Thai politics is one big joke. Mr. Bean would fit right in.

• Like 1

It always ends with blood on the streets of Bangkok. It is the Thai way.

I wasn't here in 2006 I was busy getting rid of everything and moving to Chiang Mai when they had the Army took over the empty PM office. All we saw in Canada where I was living was a picture of a tank with an old lady handing them a flower.

No blood.

Up until this point I was firmly on the side of anti-amnesty protesters. I now hope they do NOT follow the lead of firebrand Suthep.

In fact there is very little to distinguish Suthep and the equally disposable Red Shirt leaders. Agitators the lot of them.

When Suthep starts calling for the burning of Bangkok if they do not get their way then I will agree with you.

• Like 2

Well well well, what do we have here, the former Deputy PM, encouraging civil disobedience! I thought this was all far below the standards of the Democrat party and only the stupid red kwai who did this kind of thing, or so i had been repeatedly informed on TVF.

Will be interested to get some of the Democrat supporters take on this after years of beating the PTP/Red shirts with the same stick. No doubt this topic will die fairly quickly though. Tis just a short step from civil disobedience to some form of real criminal activity, and then they will have completely lost any moral high ground they may have had.

• Like 1

If they have an armed militia of men in black, call for the burning of BKK etc .. you will have a point. Peaceful protests and acts of legitimate civil disobedience are just a tish different than what the reds did. So please revisit the subject when the non-red protesters following Suthep's lead do something worth being chastised for.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 2

If they have an armed militia of men in black, call for the burning of BKK etc .. you will have a point. Peaceful protests and acts of legitimate civil disobedience are just a tish different than what the reds did. So please revisit the subject when the non-red protesters do something.

They have done something before. There are clear videos on youtube of yellow shirts firing guns, of course not on the scale of red shirts i admit, but to believe they are not capable of similar makes you a little naive. The leaders of the yellow shirts may be a little less rough around the edges than their red shirt counter parts, but i have no doubt they all have followers capable of extremely violent action if need be.

Obviously they closed down main international airports last time, and only left as a court decision went their way. What there next step would have been to apply more pressure does not bare thinking about. Armed 'militia'cheesy.gif easy on the hyperbole.

If they have an armed militia of men in black, call for the burning of BKK etc .. you will have a point. Peaceful protests and acts of legitimate civil disobedience are just a tish different than what the reds did. So please revisit the subject when the non-red protesters do something.

They have done something before. There are clear videos on youtube of yellow shirts firing guns, of course not on the scale of red shirts i admit, but to believe they are not capable of similar makes you a little naive. The leaders of the yellow shirts may be a little less rough around the edges than their red shirt counter parts, but i have no doubt they all have followers capable of extremely violent action if need be.

Obviously they closed down main international airports last time, and only left as a court decision went their way. What there next step would have been to apply more pressure does not bare thinking about. Armed 'militia'cheesy.gif easy on the hyperbole.

To start with, the current protesters are not yellow shirts/PAD, though some may be involved, but a whole range of the political spectrum including (former?) red shirts.

Moreover, claiming that a group whose security guards used handguns might escalate to military rifles, M-79s and grenades is quite a leap. About as likely as the red shirts showing up with nuclear tipped cruise missiles.

To start with, the current protesters are not yellow shirts/PAD, though some may be involved, but a whole range of the political spectrum including (former?) red shirts.

Moreover, claiming that a group whose security guards used handguns might escalate to military rifles, M-79s and grenades is quite a leap. About as likely as the red shirts showing up with nuclear tipped cruise missiles.

We will see. They are not used to not getting their own way. You may be right re the increased political spectrum, but we will see how many of those were there purely for the against amnesty which i support, and now it seems it has moved on to overthrow and elected Government. The fact that Sondhi and Chamlong have come out of the wood work again seems to me that it is going very much down the road of last time and we will see how many of those amnesty people were there for that and how many are willing to take it on further.

I group them all as yellow shirts, the same way any person (s) who is not rabid anti Thaksin person is labelled a red shirt. There is simply no middle ground in this you are either with us or against ussmile.png(lifts sword and charges into battle)

Smutty, if you were referring to Sondhi and Chamlong you might get people to agree. Talking about the people at Democracy Monument (as this article is) makes everything you write hyperbole. I know that some people choose just to think in terms of red and yellow as if the political climate has not changed since 2008, but face it, things have changed. Even some of the redshirts abandoned the umbrella group to act out against the amnesty bill. So, yes, please continue to think of anyone opposed to Thaksin, amnesty, etc as the PAD/Yellow shirts if that makes it easier for you. The rest of us will look at how things really are.

Chamlong has been out there and active for a long time. The organizers at Democracy Monument politely denied his offer/request to speak on their stage. In a parliamentary democracy there are often movements pushing for a dissolution. That is not illegal nor is it undemocratic.

Smutty, if you were referring to Sondhi and Chamlong you might get people to agree. Talking about the people at Democracy Monument (as this article is) makes everything you write hyperbole. I know that some people choose just to think in terms of red and yellow as if the political climate has not changed since 2008, but face it, things have changed. Even some of the redshirts abandoned the umbrella group to act out against the amnesty bill. So, yes, please continue to think of anyone opposed to Thaksin, amnesty, etc as the PAD/Yellow shirts if that makes it easier for you. The rest of us will look at how things really are.

JD, as you can probably see to my other post, i am well aware that there are many different spectrum's now with the amnesty issue, but it appears we are now moving away from this being a protest about amnesty and it is going down a very similar route as previously, and with the aforementioned suddenly re-emerging yesterday it does not look good. To be fair both sides, especially on TVF are extremely keen to generalize on political allegiance so until that changes i am going to keep it simple and call it yellow V reds :)

Chamlong has been out there and active for a long time. The organizers at Democracy Monument politely denied his offer/request to speak on their stage. In a parliamentary democracy there are often movements pushing for a dissolution. That is not illegal nor is it undemocratic.

I am starting to hear the scraping of goal posts...............

Goal posts changed at 6pm yesterday evening. There are many different groups out there at the moment and they do not have all the same goals. I am pleased that you acknowledged that you pain all of those groups with the same broad brush. It makes pigeon holing you so much easier. When you oversimplify things you dig your own tiny hole to stay in.

"I group them all as yellow shirts, the same way any person (s) who is not rabid anti Thaksin person is labelled a red shirt. There is simply no middle ground in this you are either with us or against usxsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp (lifts sword and charges into battle)" -- from Smutty's post

BTW -- to be labelled a red shirt in today's context you can be anti Thaiksin --- to be labelled a rabid redshirt you probably have to be either pro-Thaksin or on of the Giles U. campers :)

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

I would call a group having military weapons and grenades an armed militia. What would you call that?

• Like 1

Up until this point I was firmly on the side of anti-amnesty protesters. I now hope they do NOT follow the lead of firebrand Suthep.

In fact there is very little to distinguish Suthep and the equally disposable Red Shirt leaders. Agitators the lot of them.

When Suthep starts calling for the burning of Bangkok if they do not get their way then I will agree with you.

Nah ! Suthep believes in acts of international terrorism, such as the terrorist take over of the international airport effecting thousands world wide.

If they have an armed militia of men in black, call for the burning of BKK etc .. you will have a point. Peaceful protests and acts of legitimate civil disobedience are just a tish different than what the reds did. So please revisit the subject when the non-red protesters following Suthep's lead do something worth being chastised for.

Are you referring to those mystery men in black who all wore "Army issue boots" rolleyes.gif