Hotel Problem

gk10002000

Personally i would consider problems like this the norm unless paying big bucks.By normal standards she offered a good compromise. Not saying its right just the way things are here in my experience.

You may well find its a civil matter not criminal in which case police will not bother.

You are spot on, people getting cheapest rooms but demanding and expecting 5 start facility and service?

Cheap hotels are cheap for a reason.

Lemoncake.....

Can we get this into perspective

The minimum daily wage here in Thailand is 300 Baht......the OP was paying 500 Baht a night

In the UK the minimum wage is set at 55.48 ...plus 66% 33.65 GBP (roughly the equivalent to the extra the OP paid)

Total 84.13 GBP @ 52 THB to Pound === 4374 THB

The "Pestana" Hotel Chelsea Bridge 4* has rooms advertised at 82.00 GBP ....4264 THB

Yes I know Soi Lenke isn't great.....but the OP should be able to expect some quality

OP will not get his money back and no police or courts will give him back his money.

Owner was very reasonable, OP not satisfied because it does not meet his number of problems limitationxblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png , as i said before, OP can check into 5 star hotel where these problems do not arise and if do, it gets sorted on the spot.

Lemoncake.....

The minimum daily wage here in Thailand is 300 Baht......the OP was paying 500 Baht a night

In the UK the minimum wage is set at 55.48 ...plus 66% 33.65 GBP (roughly the equivalent to the extra the OP paid)

The "Pestana" Hotel Chelsea Bridge 4* has rooms advertised at 82.00 GBP ....4264 THB

Yes I know Soi Lenke isn't great.....but the OP should be able to expect some quality

OP will not get his money back and no police or courts will give him back his money

If i had to guess, water problem was the pump and the owner filled the tanks with one of those trucks.

Tomorrow or day after, pump will be replaced and smell should be gone shortly

Edited by DD13

Personally i would consider problems like this the norm unless paying big bucks.By normal standards she offered a good compromise. Not saying its right just the way things are here in my experience.

You may well find its a civil matter not criminal in which case police will not bother.

You are spot on, people getting cheapest rooms but demanding and expecting 5 start facility and service?

Lemoncake.....

OP will not get his money back and no police or courts will give him back his money.

Owner was very reasonable, OP not satisfied because it does not meet his number of problems limitationxblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png , as i said before, OP can check into 5 star hotel where these problems do not arise and if do, it gets sorted on the spot.

Lemoncake.....

OP will not get his money back and no police or courts will give him back his money

If i had to guess, water problem was the pump and the owner filled the tanks with one of those trucks.

Not sure what point you trying to make?

You comparing $25 rooms to $100 rooms? or what exactly are you comparing?

Pump broke, shit happens, owner did not sit in the pump awaiting OP to break it

Problem was fixed same day, OP not happy

Owner offered to change room, OP not happy

Most likely found a cheaper place, so was not going to be happy with anything.

Owner was very reasonable, OP not satisfied because it does not meet his number of problems limitationblink.png , as i said before, OP can check into 5 star hotel where these problems do not arise and if do, it gets sorted on the spot.

To complete my story, it was NOT a 500 baht room. The Tourist Police were fantastic. They came right over. I explained the situation. I wrote everything down on his little case notebook. They took a picture. Finally after 7 hours of not returning my calls, the "owner" called when the police came. Funny how that happens. The police got on the phone with her. I got my money for the 6 days I did not stay there today.

As for paying a week in advance, yes I did, but it was NOT at any discount. She was going to raise the rate the week after. As for being offered another room, that was not a viable solution. The only other rooms available were facing the street noise. It is not one of the cheap places above a beer bar. It was not a Sunday, it was a Saturday.

To all those that posted negative slings, exaggerations, assumptions, well, so be it. I thought some of those posts were ridiculous. I did not expect, engineers, bell boys, etc. as one poster wrote. I fail to see the need for being ludicrous. I did not expect 5 star service. I simply expected what I paid for. When the room got fouled up, the deal was over. The main purpose of my post was to ask about the Tourist Police. Well, it turned out great so I thought I would pass on the information. 1155 worked. The lead office that came over understood english well, spoke it better than I do Thai.

Excellent. Right on, Tourist Police.

Police and Tourist Police get a lot of flak here, but they've been known to come through and be most helpful. Sometimes. smile.png

I knew of a case much like yours w/ regard to a motorbike transfer in which the original owner faked her own signature so that the Transport Office wouldn't accept it. She wouldn't answer her phone and had planned to report the bike stolen. Cops got her on the phone, though, and she said she was "too busy" to come to the police office. Told her she'd better get down there or else they'd come get her. She promptly arrived. Cop raked her over the coals and made her sign another transfer paper, correctly. No police fee requested, either.

Glad this worked out for you and justice was done. Nothing unreasonable about your case. Doesn't matter what hotel it was or how much you were paying. TP agreed!

Pay no attn to the usual trollish nonsense and irrelevant idiot postings by the usual. You have to expect such here.

Kudos to you for sticking to your guns.

Edited by JSixpack

Owner was very reasonable, OP not satisfied because it does not meet his number of problems limitationblink.png , as i said before, OP can check into 5 star hotel where these problems do not arise and if do, it gets sorted on the spot.

To complete my story, it was NOT a 500 baht room. The Tourist Police were fantastic. They came right over. I explained the situation. I wrote everything down on his little case notebook. They took a picture. Finally after 7 hours of not returning my calls, the "owner" called when the police came. Funny how that happens. The police got on the phone with her. I got my money for the 6 days I did not stay there today.

As for paying a week in advance, yes I did, but it was NOT at any discount. She was going to raise the rate the week after. As for being offered another room, that was not a viable solution. The only other rooms available were facing the street noise. It is not one of the cheap places above a beer bar. It was not a Sunday, it was a Saturday.

To all those that posted negative slings, exaggerations, assumptions, well, so be it. I thought some of those posts were ridiculous. I did not expect, engineers, bell boys, etc. as one poster wrote. I fail to see the need for being ludicrous. I did not expect 5 star service. I simply expected what I paid for. When the room got fouled up, the deal was over. The main purpose of my post was to ask about the Tourist Police. Well, it turned out great so I thought I would pass on the information. 1155 worked. The lead office that came over understood english well, spoke it better than I do Thai.

Excellent. Right on, Tourist Police.

Police and Tourist Police get a lot of flak here, but they've been known to come through and be most helpful. Sometimes. smile.png

I knew of a case much like yours w/ regard to a motorbike transfer in which the original owner faked her own signature so that the Transport Office wouldn't accept it. She wouldn't answer her phone and had planned to report the bike stolen. Cops got her on the phone, though, and she said she was "too busy" to come to the police office. Told her she'd better get down there or else they'd come get her. She promptly arrived. Cop raked her over the coals and made her sign another transfer paper, correctly. No police fee requested, either.

Glad this worked out for you and justice was done. Nothing unreasonable about your case. Doesn't matter what hotel it was.

Pay no attn to the usual trollish nonsense and idiot postings by the usual. You have to expect such here.

This is a similar case?

One is clear case of fraud and another OP being unreasonable?

And then you dare to say trollish?rolleyes.gif

Gee why not compare OP case to someone who has been raped and stabbedblink.png

Police helpful??? How many murders go unpunished? thieves walk free and list goes on.

I can guarantee you, police has no right or jurisdiction over a room which OP supposedly does not like,Clearly owner had enough of harassment on her day off, just to end it

Now, just can not wait for your know it all responses.

The OP could well end up somewhere worse and the tourist police are going to take a pretty dim view next time he phones 1155 asking for his money back because the hotel didn't supply soap.

Sour grapes. Sorry you lost. :)

This is a similar case?

One is clear case of fraud and another OP being unreasonable?

OP was defrauded in what he was promised. TP agreed and they didn't think the OP was being unreasonable.

You think so; they didn't (the only opinions that matter); they win; you got your butt handed to you (again); he's happy.

Change your diaper, petal, and get over it.

Police helpful??? How many murders go unpunished? thieves walk free and list goes on.

Hence I said "sometimes." Again, just the usual hot air on your part.

Let's do be sure that under NO circumstances you ever ask the police for help. smile.png

I can guarantee you, police has no right or jurisdiction over a room which OP supposedly does not like,Clearly owner had enough of harassment on her day off, just to end it

And that's a guarantee we can all take to the bank. laugh.png

Anyway, moot point. Enjoy shadow boxing, eh.

Now, just can not wait for your know it all responses.

I hope you weren't waiting too long and then weren't disappointed! Cheers smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Anybody (excluding rifraf) wanting to stay in Pataya in a hotel with an argumentative farang owner?

A Fawlty Towers, except not funny?

I have a suggestion....

Try reading the OP, owner was a Thai . Doh

I read the OP.

The ownwner of THAT hotel is Thai indeed.

Wink Wink Nodge Nodge.

OP was defrauded in what he was promised. TP agreed and they didn't think the OP was being unreasonable.

You think so; they didn't (the only opinions that matter); they win; you got your butt handed to you (again); he's happy.

Change your diaper, petal, and get over it.

Hence I said "sometimes." Again, just the usual hot air on your part.

Let's do be sure that under NO circumstances you ever ask the police for help. smile.png

And that's a guarantee we can all take to the bank. laugh.png

Anyway, moot point. Enjoy shadow boxing, eh.

I hope you weren't waiting too long and then weren't disappointed! Cheers smile.png

Do tell how OP was defrauded? Do tell what makes you think TP agreed? were you present at the time? TP called the owner and asked what was going on. Most likely to make OP go away, owner just agreed to refund to avoid wasting time.

Rest assured if owner refused, TP would not do a damn thing, nor do they have the authority to do anything.

Was he shown a different room,but after paying given another?

Was he over charged?

Was he lied to?

Things break, shit happens, it was fixed and clearly in a reasonable time frame. To top it off, he was offered another room.

Again, OP was being unreasonable and outright out of order.

I will most likely regret posting this, but in my experience, it is without a fail always the cheapest rooms who are unreasonable and demanding just like OP.

My expansive rooms, even if have some kind of problem, people always understand , but the cheapest rooms are always the ones with demands and expectations.

Breakfast is never enough for them or not good enough, rooms are too small, beds are too soft or too hard,

no FREE water or fridge not big enough to stack it with their own drinks, water too cold or too hot,aircon too cold and

my favorite of this year(will not mention country of origin) is coffee was too black and milk was too white, thankfully sugar was just right:lol:

Owner seems like a decent woman, who clearly had enough of OP.

• Like 1

OP was defrauded in what he was promised.

Ridiculous comment. ฿500 a night with a discount and the landlady hasn't defrauded anyone. She stated that she was busy for the weekend and would reimburse the OP on her return. Could the OP have waited until Monday to see if she was good to her word?

The Tourist Police have more serious matters to attend to and this trifling matter is a huge strain on their precious resources. There could have been half a dozen Indians robbed by kathoey masseuses in a seedy joint down the road, but have been denied the chance of investigation because of some smelly odour in the OP's room.

I think:

You paid in advance but were not satisfied with the hotel and decided to leave prematurely.

When paying in advance a mutual coulance is set. Meaning it will not be easy to get your money back because you break your initial agreement/contract. If you spend any time at all in that hotel during the validity of your advance is of no interest to the management.

Your complaints where ignored so you resorted in calling the police on them after looking for advice here on the forum.

• Like 1

Lemoncake.....

Lemoncake.....

Not sure what point you trying to make?

You comparing $25 rooms to $100 rooms? or what exactly are you comparing?

Pump broke, shit happens, owner did not sit in the pump awaiting OP to break it

Problem was fixed same day, OP not happy

Owner offered to change room, OP not happy

Most likely found a cheaper place, so was not going to be happy with anything.

I am sorry that you cannot understand the point I was making.......I hope that others did

Anyway ....we heard later that there was a Happy Conclusion to it

Good bit of to and fro though

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed

I think:

You paid in advance but were not satisfied with the hotel and decided to leave prematurely.

When paying in advance a mutual coulance is set. Meaning it will not be easy to get your money back because you break your initial agreement/contract. If you spend any time at all in that hotel during the validity of your advance is of no interest to the management.

Your complaints where ignored so you resorted in calling the police on them after looking for advice here on the forum.

Amazing how people go off on tangents and read more into what was written or make reductio ad absurdum

type of arguments. I did not break my agreement, the hotel did that first. No water, then some type of backed up sewer problem with no resolution in sight. Two big problems on the first night. Unable to get any sleep nor could I change rooms on that night. The hotel did not provide what was paid for. I paid for one completely useless night. I have no problem demanding the other six nights money back and I did. Let the owner rent out to somebody else. I asked for advice but most replies had nothing to do with if anybody had ever actually called the Tourist Police. Every tourist guidebook I know of says to contact the tourist police if you have an issue, so I did.

Oh and this was the second issue I had on this trip. Last month I paid for a VIP bus seat from Pattaya to Phuket. I checked out of my hotel on that day and was waiting at the travel agency for the 1700 pickup. The minivan came to the travel office to pick me. Well after some discussion between the minivan driver and the travel agent I asked what was going on? I paid for a VIP seat but there were no VIP seats left! Not going to do the 12 hour bus ride on a regular seat. Lady said go tomorrow! I said, OK, you pay for my hotel room tonight that I now need and the day of travel I lose as I would have less time on Phuket because I had to make a border visa run the next week. I don't know whose fault it was, but I think it was a deliberate scam. My paid receipt clearly said VIP, and had the higher VIP price. I don't believe the travel agent and the bus company misunderstood each other. I said give me my money back. She did.

Despite what some of the respondants allege, I give the Thais a lot of leeway. But it costs me a lot of money to come here, both time away from work, flights across the USA, then across the Ocean, and at times there are some levels of service that need to be stood up for.

Moderators, why don't you close this thread. The matter is closed. The Tourist Police were cool.

• Like 1

I think:

Amazing how people go off on tangents and read more into what was written or make reductio ad absurdum

type of arguments. I did not break my agreement, the hotel did that first. No water, then some type of backed up sewer problem with no resolution in sight. Two big problems on the first night. Unable to get any sleep nor could I change rooms on that night. The hotel did not provide what was paid for. I paid for one completely useless night. I have no problem demanding the other six nights money back and I did. Let the owner rent out to somebody else. I asked for advice but most replies had nothing to do with if anybody had ever actually called the Tourist Police. Every tourist guidebook I know of says to contact the tourist police if you have an issue, so I did.

Oh and this was the second issue I had on this trip. Last month I paid for a VIP bus seat from Pattaya to Phuket. I checked out of my hotel on that day and was waiting at the travel agency for the 1700 pickup. The minivan came to the travel office to pick me. Well after some discussion between the minivan driver and the travel agent I asked what was going on? I paid for a VIP seat but there were no VIP seats left! Not going to do the 12 hour bus ride on a regular seat. Lady said go tomorrow! I said, OK, you pay for my hotel room tonight that I now need and the day of travel I lose as I would have less time on Phuket because I had to make a border visa run the next week. I don't know whose fault it was, but I think it was a deliberate scam. My paid receipt clearly said VIP, and had the higher VIP price. I don't believe the travel agent and the bus company misunderstood each other. I said give me my money back. She did.

Despite what some of the respondants allege, I give the Thais a lot of leeway. But it costs me a lot of money to come here, both time away from work, flights across the USA, then across the Ocean, and at times there are some levels of service that need to be stood up for.

Moderators, why don't you close this thread. The matter is closed. The Tourist Police were cool.

Funny enough yet another problemcheesy.gif

Of course its all a scam and everybody is out to scam you

Can not wait for the next one.

PS. You say some backed up sewer problem with no resolution insight? but did you not say before that you were offered a different room? but refused.

I have a pretty good idea where you stayed, you said room which was offered faced the street, what you forgot to mention is that rooms facing the back are looking straight onto another building with a space of about 2 meters in between and those are the cheapest rooms.

You did see the room before paying? you did not smell anything?

You could not sleep all night? why? you have to sleep with toilet door open? you could not simply close it? or does the backed up sewer line run open through the bedroom?

There are people who travel on a budget and look for having a fun time and there are people who spend most of their time looking for problems,trying to squeeze every last drop for peanuts they already paying.

So tell us, did you move to guest house next door with cheaper price or did you upgrade to a more expansive place to avoid problems?after all you only travel VIP

Anybody (excluding rifraf) wanting to stay in Pataya in a hotel with an argumentative farang owner?

I have a suggestion....

laugh.pngclap2.gif

But in this case I think lemoncake is right.

Things happen and from the OP's words, it seems that the problems were resolved quickly and

in the best possible manner by the hotel management.

As a side note, I do not believe that the tourist police got involved in this. Imagine how many

hundreds of cases they would have to deal with if they had to visit every hotel where a budget

tourist is not happy that things are not exactly as he wants them.

I have a suggestion....

laugh.pngclap2.gif

But in this case I think lemoncake is right.

Things happen and from the OP's words, it seems that the problems were resolved quickly and

in the best possible manner by the hotel management.

As a side note, I do not believe that the tourist police got involved in this. Imagine how many

hundreds of cases they would have to deal with if they had to visit every hotel where a budget

tourist is not happy that things are not exactly as he wants them.

Let me tell you how tourist police works.

Today had a guest who was robbed, we have all the info, including address ,cctv footage. They did not even come out and stated they can not help because tourist/guest can not prove how much money he had before it was stolen.

They stated to contact regular police, regular police wasted 3 hours making the report and did absolutely nothing.

Guest has lost 80 000 baht, and they then charged 20 baht to make copy of the report

• Like 1