Drone protest footage

chiangmaisurprise

Nice find. Some background here:

Bangkok’s unlikely embrace of drone journalism shows the extent of the government’s problems

Thai newspapers covering ongoing protests in Bangkok have adopted a new reporting tool in recent weeks: small, camera-equipped helicopters they’re using to capture images of massive crowds.

Large political protests are nothing new to Thailand. Waves of demonstrators have taken to the streets in recent years, both to support and denounce controversial former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his allies. Thaksin was overthrown in a military coup in 2006; yesterday as many as 100,000 protesters rallied in the biggest demonstration since 2010 to demand the ouster of his sister, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. Today crowds of demonstrators even forced their way into the Finance Ministry.

The media coverage of Thailand’s various political upheavals has remained conventional since Thaksin left office, with traditional accounts filling newspapers and breathless reports broadcast on the country’s many partisan TV stations. But English language dailies The Nation and The Bangkok Post, among other papers, have been running aerial, panoramic photos of the demonstrators, providing a perspective on the rallies that has been been lacking until now. (The photos are used here with permission of The Nation.)

2013-11-25_nation_drone2.jpg?w=900&h=519

2013-11-25_copter.jpg?w=900&h=510

Source and more details - qz.com

I saw a quadcopter with a camera in front of the police headquarters building the night it first became the site of a large protest (which I inadvertantly wandered into the middle of). I had assumed it was being used by the police but this makes me think perhaps not.