Thailand as a Retirement Destination - Food for Thought.

CRUNCHER

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

America has the world's 3rd largest population - perhaps 4 - 5 times as large as the UK, but I seem to find more Brits in Los than Americans. Maybe that's a wrong impression I have? America has 15 times the population of Australia, but I seem to meet more Aussies than Americans in LOS. For Aussies, LOS is close and cheap.

Quite a lot of Americans claim to be Canadian when abroad.

It makes sense in some situations. Like if you don't want to be poisoned at Iranian restaurants for example.

Or if you're in the Canadian province of Florida during the winter ... so you feel like you're apart of the majority.

But does anyone claim he's from Toronto?

post-145917-0-54876800-1386496243_thumb.

• Like 1

Anyone who believes International Livings best of anything needs to check out their real estate investments in the said area. IMHO the mag and web is just a publicity front for real estate speculators and seminar junkies.

That's a fair point of course but they do cover a lot of popular places including some up and coming places like Colombia. In real life, people need to due their own due diligence.

America has the world's 3rd largest population - perhaps 4 - 5 times as large as the UK, but I seem to find more Brits in Los than Americans. Maybe that's a wrong impression I have? America has 15 times the population of Australia, but I seem to meet more Aussies than Americans in LOS. For Aussies, LOS is close and cheap.

That's a load of BS, a myth left over from the early days of the Iraq War.

No it is not a myth at all. Americans have been doing that for many decades for various reasons. When I backpacked around Europe in the 1970's half the people with maple leaf flags on their backpacks were Americans ... Anti-Americanism is a fashion trend that keeps on giving. It ebbs and flows of course. I'd say its rare now because so many people are wise to it ... so it doesn't fool people.

Never done the maple flag thing myself but have done the Canuck thing a few times around openly anti-American people or when I think they might be ... especially if they're serving me food.

Oh brother (counting slowly from ten to one). I need to start unsubscribing to these threads right after my first post, right? But I'm a slow learner, probably because I'm American.

Anyway, I too backpacked in Europe and East Africa for 2 1/2 years in the glorious early '70s, what a great time. Made loads of British, Australian, American, Canadian friends, male and female, we all got along famously. In fact, my mom pointed out that I had a slight English accent when I finally got back to the States, and Cockney is still my favorite accent in the world.

However, I never noticed any Americans saying they were Canadian, sorry. I remember some people had that big red leaf logo thing on their packs, and at first my American buds and I were like "What's that?" Someone explained it had something to do with the Canadian flag and we said "Oh, OK?" Then we'd laugh. Again, sorry.

• Like 1

Forbes has a bias towards North American readers ... thumbsup.gif

Notice most on the list are in the Americas.

I.......

I prefer Thailand to S. America and will take the long trip, but I have no desire to move there permanently.

You make some interesting points and think that you have the right impression as regards more Brits than Americans in LOS, it certainly seems that way to me. I`m British, part of the reason for me being here is due to climate, some not all Brits end up hating the UK climate, whereas as you say the climate in southern North America can be/is warm.

I had been looking at Florida as a place to live some years ago, better weather, property seemed good value compared to south England, prices generally lower etc.

I also wonder if for those still working holiday entitlement plays a factor, in the UK statutory paid holiday entitlement is 6 weeks per year, plus various bank/public holidays whereas if I understand correctly minimum holiday entitlement is lower in the US ?

So Brits have more chances to get away.

I`m curious as to why you prefer Thailand to S. America, other than Mexico never been but did do some reading on Ecuador, sounded quite good.

Thanks

smile.png

Florida is nice and quite inexpensive, but the USA do not have a retirement visa program like Thailand or Panama. If you are not an American citizen, a green card holder or married to an American, you cannot legally live there on a year round basis, unless you invest a very substantial amount via the E-Visa program.

• Like 1

With all the retiries here you wold think that Thailand would do well in the Annual Forbes table of places to retire. Well it comes in at number 9. The only other Asian country in the top 10 is Malaysia at number 3. Here is the link to the top 10. Retirement

Malaysia so far above Thailand is food for thought.

There are about 195 countries in the world. If Thailand is number 9, that puts it ahead of 186 other countries. From that perspective, Malaysia is hardly "far above" Thailand.

On the other hand, basing your choice of retirement locations on popular opinion, especially the opinion of mostly Americans drawn to reading Forbes magazine, seems a strange approach to sorting out what will probably be the balance of your life.

The prospect of spending the rest of my life surrounded by devotees of Forbes Magazine and, by extension, people who think Fox News is fair and balanced, is indeed food for thought. Scary food.

That's an totally unfair stereotype, dude.

Cuenca Ecuador for example clearly has a lot aging hippie style retired expats. They're opening all kinds of alternative style businesses to cater to them, including a Thai restaurant, and I just heard you can even buy bitter melon there! Of course there are plenty of right wing wingnuts as well, diversity, ain't it grand?

Edited by Jingthing

That's a load of BS, a myth left over from the early days of the Iraq War.

No it is not a myth at all. Americans have been doing that for many decades for various reasons. When I backpacked around Europe in the 1970's half the people with maple leaf flags on their backpacks were Americans ... Anti-Americanism is a fashion trend that keeps on giving. It ebbs and flows of course. I'd say its rare now because so many people are wise to it ... so it doesn't fool people.

Never done the maple flag thing myself but have done the Canuck thing a few times around openly anti-American people or when I think they might be ... especially if they're serving me food.

Oh brother (counting slowly from ten to one). I need to start unsubscribing to these threads right after my first post, right? But I'm a slow learner, probably because I'm American.

Anyway, I too backpacked in Europe and East Africa for 2 1/2 years in the glorious early '70s, what a great time. Made loads of British, Australian, American, Canadian friends, male and female, we all got along famously. In fact, my mom pointed out that I had a slight English accent when I finally got back to the States, and Cockney is still my favorite accent in the world.

However, I never noticed any Americans saying they were Canadian, sorry. I remember some people had that big red leaf logo thing on their packs, and at first my American buds and I were like "What's that?" Someone explained it had something to do with the Canadian flag and we said "Oh, OK?" Then we'd laugh. Again, sorry.

America wasn't hated so much by the rest of the world in the 70s.

You've killed a lot of foreigners in a lot of countries since then.

• Like 1

Bonefish

Florida is nice and quite inexpensive, but the USA do not have a retirement visa program like Thailand or Panama. If you are not an American citizen, a green card holder or married to an American, you cannot legally live there on a year round basis, unless you invest a very substantial amount via the E-Visa program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate to break it to you.....but my wife who is Thai (ceremonial Marriage...Not legal) has a 10 year tourist visa.....So can live in the US for six months and leave for a weeks vacation out of the country and then live another 6 months in the US and on and on for 10 years before she renews her visa.

We don't do that ....we live in Thailand ....Just thought everybody should have ALL the information about staying in the US ....not just limited to your scenario.wai.gif

The only reason Thailand is popular is because it's an easy starting point for newbie expats because of the marketing hype and famous go-go's and people that won't whack you when you act like an idiot tourist.

Once you know what you are doing it's easy to find better places nearby. Of course, you have a certain class of folks that prefer to stay long term for unsavory reasons, or get entangled in various scenarios while here.

• Like 1

This listing is US bullshit. No European would come to the idea to retire in Panama. Forbes is an US magazine, not reflecting the preferences of Europeans. The list would look totally different.

Maybe they should.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The only reason Thailand is popular is because it's an easy starting point for newbie expats because of the marketing hype and famous go-go's and people that won't whack you when you act like an idiot tourist.

Once you know what you are doing it's easy to find better places nearby. Of course, you have a certain class of folks that prefer to stay long term for unsavory reasons, or get entangled in various scenarios while here.

You do know that Thailand is next door to Cambodia don't you? Unsavory reasons in Thailand? You gotta be kidding me.cheesy.gif

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

There's one I would have to see the reference. How do you come up with that bit?

There's one I would have to see the reference. How do you come up with that bit?

It's a thing. Trust me.

post-37101-0-86439100-1386522778_thumb.jpost-37101-0-66698400-1386522537_thumb.jpost-37101-0-06189600-1386522601_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

One major problem in Thailand for retirees is the health insurance. Especially if you get chronically ill and require multiple trips to hospital. The insurance company will at some point refuse to pay more, if it is costly enough. Or even worse, you do not have an insurance and you are on your own.

I would suggest to save a bit every month for hospital expenses and find a decent local hospital. Stay away from the "international" hospitals, those are dedicated to emptying your wallet.

Edited by Timwin

Of all the safe Countries,this article has not scratched the surface of safe Countries of Europe,many of them have a warm climate,and are cheaper to live in than Thailand.And are beauitiful countries in their own right.

Do your research,you may be pleasantly surprised.The Mediteranean countries can be amazing too!

All very true but... you have to spend to much on women.

If my Thai lady would only move to Spain.

Wake up, I'm dreaming!

America wasn't hated so much by the rest of the world in the 70s.

You've killed a lot of foreigners in a lot of countries since then.

Oy vey. Does the VIETNAM war ring a bell for you, mate?!? facepalm.gif

Add it to the list and don't forget the revered Dr. K and Cambodia.

Wandering off topic, as per usual.

Edited by Bpuumike

Cuenca Ecuador for example clearly has a lot aging hippie style retired expats. They're opening all kinds of alternative style businesses to cater to them, including a Thai restaurant, and I just heard you can even buy bitter melon there! Of course there are plenty of right wing wingnuts as well, diversity, ain't it grand?

Did you do a survey to determine the ratio of right wing wingnuts to left wing wingnuts? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Did you do a survey to determine the ratio of right wing wingnuts to left wing wingnuts? cheesy.gif

Wingnut is mostly reserved for the right wing.

meh....if you are American you can tell most Canadians apart by their accent. Some definitely sound like Americans, but when they go "oot and aboot, eh?" you know they are from north of the border...again...most.....remember, Canadians are crafty like that! (Just a joke).

Seriously, though....you can tell usually and I would never pretend to be Canadian unless I were in a situation like Mumbai and the terrorists were checking people's passports to decide who to kill. I would cook up a nationality quick (I have a few passable ones to choose from) and say I had lost my passport. Barring that, I welcome all comers to have a go at me if they hate Americans that much.

I don't meet many Americans here in Thailand compared to places in the Western Hemisphere.

Every Canadian has an American cousin.

Unfortunately, few Americans have Canadian cousins.

Hence the disconnect.

meh....if you are American you can tell most Canadians apart by their accent. Some definitely sound like Americans, but when they go "oot and aboot, eh?" you know they are from north of the border...again...most.....remember, Canadians are crafty like that! (Just a joke).

Seriously, though....you can tell usually and I would never pretend to be Canadian unless I were in a situation like Mumbai and the terrorists were checking people's passports to decide who to kill. I would cook up a nationality quick (I have a few passable ones to choose from) and say I had lost my passport. Barring that, I welcome all comers to have a go at me if they hate Americans that much.

I don't meet many Americans here in Thailand compared to places in the Western Hemisphere.

Every Canadian has an American cousin.

Unfortunately, few Americans have Canadian cousins.

Hence the disconnect.

What .... I don't know any Canadian who has a cousin in the States & my family is HUGE.

As for Americans pretending to be Canadian I actually met one a few months back, my East coast accent confused the poor soul and when I said I was Canadian he said OH I spent a lot of time in Canada and would like to be Canadian :) * if you're ever in doubt just ask "how's the loonie doing"

As for places to retire I have my heart set on a little coastal town in Italy but I doubt that will happen.

I may be an experiment of one, but as an American I have never, ever considered identifying myself as anything but what I am, and have never seen it done by any other American as well.

Perhaps your statement is one of opinion rather than fact?

• Like 1

Wingnut is mostly reserved for the right wing.

Really? I always thought there were only left wingnuts, and I'm a native speaker.