In the market for a slighter higher end Samsung android phone ...

Jingthing

In head: slighter s/b slightly

In the market for a slightly higher end Samsung android phone ...

OK, some time ago I bought my first phone that does anything other than calls and text. It was the cheapest possible Samsung Android phone. I wanted to test if I even wanted this kind of phone. Turns out I bought a ridiculous phone, screen way too small and was actually designed for the children's market. But I've been using it quite a lot and the main issue is the screen size being too small. So I know I want a larger screen size phone and I want to stick with Samsung Android. Perhaps some capability to do things I don't know I want to do yet but nothing excessive. I don't care about high end features. So what model to buy and how much? Thank you!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Agreed, so easy to just go look, hold, play, use many different models.

People seem to like the iMobile brand, which seems to offer good value. Been gazillions of threads on those here.

Also need budgetary requirements.

Otherwise just plain silly to solicit input. A bit like asking for a restaurant recommendation somewhere in thew world.

I've always bought Samsung too, but they are a little bit expensive.

Just got a I-mobile 5.3 for 5,300bht from the DTac store.

It has a 5" screen, battery lasts two days, and it is really quite good.

Two SIM, quad core.

At half the price of the grand, it has to be worth a look.

• Like 2

Some helpful suggestions so far which I will explore.

Look, not everyone is the same in their technology shopping. Please accept that.

I am not going to get all geeky and obsessive and spend hundreds of research hours about my phone choice. It's not super important to me like my choice of home PC is. But I've outgrown the small screen.

I was just looking for some leads. Some personal experiences with current phones.

When I go into these stores my brain hurts looking at all the choices and I just walk out.

I need some kind of starting point to limit what I bother looking at.

Screen size? All I know is bigger. I have no specific size in mind but I guess it's fair to say too big is out too, again nothing specific.

Price point is a good question ... I know I don't want to spend as much as 20K on a phone.

Cutting edge features, I would likely be paying for and never using.

Yes I made a mistake last time buying the kiddie sized screen but it wasn't an expensive mistake and I've gotten plenty of use from it!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Cooper...

Like you I have no interest in spending 20-25k on a phone.

The battery on mine is <deleted>, last less than a day even without use !!

Not sure to buy a new battery or try a new phone, after reading this thread..

Maybe the IMobile would be worth checking out...

I think 5k is plenty to waste on a phone unless you really use it for business all day every day...

• Like 2

again nothing specific
There have been many, many, many good threads on this subject, with hundreds of members contributing all sorts of great information.
Maybe have a look at those, unless reading also makes your brain hurt.
Narrow down your requirements, then follow-up.
Seems easy and simple?
Edited by lomatopo

I don't think it is so unusual to be overwhelmed by the range of choices for things you don't care all that much about. I think there have even been scientific consumer studies about this topic -- OVERLOAD. I wouldn't have thought to check out the imobile line. Thanks for that! The truth is that probably most ANY phone just with a bigger screen with the same functionality as my toddler phone would likely suit me fine!

If you just to post here to lecture that I am not shopping for phones the way you think is the "correct" way, please do not bother. On things that I really care about in life, the specific choice of my phone is something like 1.5 out of 10. Thanks again.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think it is so unusual to be overwhelmed by the range of choices for things you don't care all that much about. I think there have even been scientific consumer studies about this topic -- OVERLOAD. I wouldn't have thought to check out the imobile line. Thanks for that! The truth is that probably most ANY phone just with a bigger screen with the same functionality as my toddler phone would likely suit me fine!

If you just to post here to lecture that I am not shopping for phones the way you think is the "correct" way, please do not bother. On things that I really care about in life, the specific choice of my phone is something like 1.5 out of 10. Thanks again.

Probably only lose it in your next encounter with a baht bus driver :) Buy cheap....

Just returned from Tucom with a Samsung 9" tablet (not 'phone), Baht 3900 with case. Wifi and 2 Sim , 2 Cameras and, SD slot

I said to the girl it cannot be genuine, she insisted it was. I said it did not matter as the intended user is just 4yo.

Showing my know-how I told her that I would know for sure because some apps will not run, I am told, because these knock-offs do not pay a Google Play licencing fee, in particular an excellent Thai translator (not free) and Plants v Zombies V2.

When I took it out of the box to charge, the first thing I saw on the screen was....ANDRIOD 4.1 ..!

Edited by drx13
  • Like 1

Screen size? All I know is bigger. I have no specific size in mind but I guess it's fair to say too big is out too, again nothing specific.

It should only take 5 minutes in a shop to decide on a suitable screen size. You need not worry about anything else.

Without having a specific screen size (or range of sizes) any sensible recommendation is impossible.

It should only take 5 minutes in a shop to decide on a suitable screen size. You need not worry about anything else.

Without having a specific screen size (or range of sizes) any sensible recommendation is impossible.

You know I've got a tiny screen and you know I don't want a jumbo screen. That's the range.

Edited by Jingthing

My Mrs.' recently purchased a Samsung "Win", so I inherited her couple years old Samsung Galaxy "Wonder", I think that's the name of it.

I think her new Win is too big/wide. Doesn't feel comfortable in my hand, feels like I'm going to drop it, so have to use two hands. Sure, it's faster and has a lovely, big screen.

The older Galaxy Wonder has a large enough screen for me, is sufficiently "smart" for what I need, which isn't much, and fits comfortably in my hand and pocket. It even makes and receives telephone calls. wink.png

• Like 1

OK, I bit the bullet and examined some phones. I like the Win and even the Grand and the screen sizes appeal in the store but I reckon in real life they're too big to comfortably schlep around. Kind of like at a buffet you put more food on your plate than you really should be eating for visual reasons. So I'm thinking about the Core. Also will look at that other brand. A website suggested a Nokia Windows 8 phone as well as being great value and similar features to the Core. That would be radical.

I didn't notice the Wonder being offered where I went. Still a current model?

Edited by Jingthing

OK, I bit the bullet and examined some phones. I like the Win and even the Grand and the screen sizes appeal in the store but I reckon in real life they're too big to comfortably schlep around. Kind of like at a buffet you put more food on your plate than you really should be eating for visual reasons. So I'm thinking about the Core. Also will look at that other brand. A website suggested a Nokia Windows 8 phone as well as being great value and similar features to the Core. That would be radical.

I didn't notice the Wonder being offered where I went. Still a current model?

My guess would be Wonder was long ago usurped by newer models, but as you've found already, similar sized, mid-range offerings out there.

The wife's new Win was 8,900 and after 30 odd minutes trying different shops, got it for 8,300 with the screen cover and a cheap case included.

Good hunting.

I've always bought Samsung too, but they are a little bit expensive.

Just got a I-mobile 5.3 for 5,300bht from the DTac store.

It has a 5" screen, battery lasts two days, and it is really quite good.

Two SIM, quad core.

At half the price of the grand, it has to be worth a look.

You're not tied to any company for connectivity with that, are you?

I currently use 1-2 call and am happy with it.

Dont buy second hand. Its better to buy new. You could get a Samsung Grand as orangecake posted above. That's a good phone. Or if it's too big for your eyeballs then there is the Galaxy s4 mini. Really good phone, lightweight but big enough screen and not expensive.

OK I got sucked into researching this a little bit, and surprisingly I am drawn to the Nokia Lumia 520 which I haven't even seen in person yet. I think the local market price is about 5500 baht. Yes its a Windows 8 phone. Yes I know not popular in Thailand but somehow that appeals to me.

http://www.engadget.com/products/nokia/lumia/520/

Any reason against it for my minimalist purposes?

Edited by Jingthing

In head: slighter s/b slightly  

In the market for a slightly higher end Samsung android phone ...

OK, some time ago I bought my first phone that does anything other than calls and text. It was the cheapest possible Samsung Android phone. I wanted to test if I even wanted this kind of phone. Turns out I bought a ridiculous phone, screen way too small and was actually designed for the children's market. But I've been using it quite a lot and the main issue is the screen size being too small. So I know I want a larger screen size phone and I want to stick with Samsung Android. Perhaps some capability to do things I don't know I want to do yet but nothing excessive. I don't care about high end features. So what model to buy and how much? Thank you!

Jing I have had the Galaxy note now for around 20 months.. In that time I have not had a single problem with it.. I didnt buy it as a phone, I wanted an alternative to a laptop or tablet.. Don't know if you would consider having one but I'll say I have been more than happy with mine to the point where I have considered getting the note 3 but then thought why bother when I'm happy with the one I already have..

Have the Samsung Galaxy Note now and previously the Galaxy S3. Both great phones with larger screens. The S3 fit better in my pocket but the Note3 is better for entertainment (videos and such).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just returned from Tucom with a Samsung 9" tablet (not 'phone), Baht 3900 with case. Wifi and 2 Sim , 2 Cameras and, SD slot

I said to the girl it cannot be genuine, she insisted it was. I said it did not matter as the intended user is just 4yo.

Showing my know-how I told her that I would know for sure because some apps will not run, I am told, because these knock-offs do not pay a Google Play licencing fee, in particular an excellent Thai translator (not free) and Plants v Zombies V2.

When I took it out of the box to charge, the first thing I saw on the screen was....ANDRIOD 4.1 ..!

I found out it is also a 'phone 2 simcards I put the cards in but switched them out as I don't need a phone on a tablet.

Biggest problem is low internal memory storage,(500 Mbytes), many apps give error "insufficient storage", I'm constantly juggling to move those that can, to the SD and using an app called CleanMaster which does a great job of maximizing free space.

Spent hours trying to "root" to use some apps to help with the storage problem.

Otherwise I have the most important "Plants v Zombies", with which, the 4yo becomes very impatient at my losing strategies.

• Like 2

I recently bought an i-mobile 6.1. 5" screen - dual sim quad core cpu 7990bt. Got a firmware update the week after I'd bought it which included the full version of the Swype keyboard branded i-mobile. 16gb micro SD card included in the price. Quite impressed with it.

• Like 1

OK, sincere apologies for being a tad testy before here.

Y'all were right.

I DID need to start to get more specific about what I want/need to get better advice.

I did get sucked into doing more research, and as I feared it's a black hole of information.

However after looking at more phones and internet stuff, I am getting closer, but still not totally exact.

1. Must be Android, later version

2. Screen minimum 4 inch, maximum 5 inch, 4.5 probably the sweet spot but still open

3. Screen resolution, from adequate up

4. Don't need super processing power, don't plan on gaming.

5. Camera, medium quality OK, must have front camera, low quality OK

6. Brand, now super open. I think I might be BORED with Samsung now but still I see some good Samsung choices. So a slight edge to not Samsung.

7. Sim cards, prefer single, dual OK, if single probably prefer mini Sim, the duals all seem to be micro sim (see question below)

8. Battery life -- standard is OK

9. Thinness and weight -- strongly prefer thinner and lighter but will probably have to sacrifice at my price point

10. Design, shock and awe, I would pay more for a cool design!

11. Price point, wide area, 5 to 10, probably 7 or 8 more likely, but would go to 12 - 14 if super tempted by something (but that would probably be silly).

So I'm getting more focused, but there still are probably many many phones that fit in that list. Ugh!

My stupid questions:

1. I have a quite old AIS 1 - 2 call SIM card from way before smart phones. It's a mini Sim. I use in my tiny Samsung baby smart phone and have a net access plan. Does the SIM card need to be more advanced to take full advantage of current connectivity speeds or not?

2. If I buy a phone needing a MICRO Sim can I transfer the number, info, and even current AIS plan (paid monthly into the phone) from my existing mini Sim onto a new blank Sim?

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, check out the imobile range in Tesco Lotus. The IQ 6 looks great value for 5K reduced from around 8-9K. I think it has a 5" screen & does all the usual smartphone stuff pretty well

The imobile phones mentioned, are their menus in English as well?

I presume they are Android, so they can run all the same Android Apps that Samsung can right?

Do they have GPS?