are you using Skype to go on trips abroad?

THAIPHUKET

I use skype exclusively , guess it´s a premium account with charges being deducted via my visa card. Excellent quality, much better than ordinary phone lines.

Now want to get skype to go. Will travel to Chile skype yes, Argentina Skype for premium, Peru No skype. Because on Premium I can choose 1 country for unlimited land line calls.

The S.togo number enables anyone calling that number from wherever to get in t

ouch wiht me wherever (provided that country has S-togo)

DO I understand correctly?

What are your experiences with skype?

I know there is LINE and other apps which allow free calls. For me the advantage of skype is

I can call any phone, land or mobile at my convenience, No need for the other party to have the same apps. Which can be very important in case of emergencies.

I think you mean a Skype number, where you buy a Skype number in the country where you expect most calls from.

See Below from Skype's website:

Save up to 50% off a Skype Number

Skype Numbers let family, friends and colleagues call a number from their mobile or landline at local rates and you answer on Skype wherever you are in the world. Numbers are available in over 20 countries and include voice messages so your contacts can leave a message when you’re offline. As part of your subscription you can get up to 50% off a Skype Number.

You can also call landline and mobile phones from Viber with pre bought credit.

I think you are confusing two different services from Skype. One is the Skype online number the other one is Skype to go.

Skype online number is a landline number in a specific country. Anyone who wish to call you can use this number. It will reach you anywhere in the world as long as you are online with Skype or you have forwarded it to a mobile phone or landline.

Skype to go is not available in all countries yet but Skype is adding frequently new countries. Thus service is for you, if you want to call somebody overseas. Those are assigned landline numbers in the country you are. They enable you to use a local mobile number to call a local landline number, which is then calling, via Skype, the oversea number.

I think you mean a Skype number, where you buy a Skype number in the country where you expect most calls from.

See Below from Skype's website:

Save up to 50% off a Skype Number

Skype Numbers let family, friends and colleagues call a number from their mobile or landline at local rates and you answer on Skype wherever you are in the world. Numbers are available in over 20 countries and include voice messages so your contacts can leave a message when you’re offline. As part of your subscription you can get up to 50% off a Skype Number.

More important for a traveler should be the ability to call from his Skype number anyone in the world without the need to get a new SIM cards in each country, as long as the call originates from one of the 20 countries . Is my understanding correct?

It´s not about family chats, at least for me.

SKYPE is a pain in the backside!

I used it when I lived here some years ago and never had a problem. Now, friends can call me for Free from abroad but when I attempt to call them from Thailand, the phone rings once and then I get a message telling me I have "No Credit" in my account, so in other words, they want me to pay for calls FROM Thailand but people calling me from elsewhere get FREE Calls.

What am I doing wrong????

SKYPE is a pain in the backside!

I used it when I lived here some years ago and never had a problem. Now, friends can call me for Free from abroad but when I attempt to call them from Thailand, the phone rings once and then I get a message telling me I have "No Credit" in my account, so in other words, they want me to pay for calls FROM Thailand but people calling me from elsewhere get FREE Calls.

What am I doing wrong????

If you call Skype to Skype it is free from wherever. If you call Skype to a mobile, for example, it will cost because the telecom company in the country you are calling will charge. It helps to read the terms and conditions then it's not a pain in the backside!

• 2 weeks later...

See Below from Skype's website:Save up to 50% off a Skype Number

More important for a traveler should be the ability to call from his Skype number anyone in the world without the need to get a new SIM cards in each country, as long as the call originates from one of the 20 countries . Is my understanding correct?

That is incorrect. The Skype number is a local landline number, which can be used to receive calls. To make calls or receive the calls on a mobile you will still need to have a SIM card. You could use roaming then you would keep your own number but pay a lot or buy a SIM card from the country you visit. Then you are able to forward all Calls to your Skype number to your domestic SIM card. Be aware that you will need to pay for any calls forwarded.

I use skype exclusively when abroad to call landlines as necessary. That way, I don't need a phone. I also don't have a Skype number: I call them, they don't call me. But there's also email and skype IM, so it works out fine for my limited needs.

• 2 weeks later...

See Below from Skype's website:Save up to 50% off a Skype Number

That is incorrect. The Skype number is a local landline number, which can be used to receive calls. To make calls or receive the calls on a mobile you will still need to have a SIM card. You could use roaming then you would keep your own number but pay a lot or buy a SIM card from the country you visit. Then you are able to forward all Calls to your Skype number to your domestic SIM card. Be aware that you will need to pay for any calls forwarded.

Does the Skype account holder pay to receive redirected calls from their Skype number to their mobile?

Also, can the Skype number work to a mobile that is using a wifi internet connection with no sim card in it, or the call must come through the mobile towers to a sim card?

Edited by KhunHeineken

Yes. The owner of the Skype number will need to pay for all related costs. If you are using Skype on wi-if it will not cost anything as it is not re-directed to a mobile or landline number and will therefore not occur any telephone charges.

Yes. The owner of the Skype number will need to pay for all related costs. If you are using Skype on wi-if it will not cost anything as it is not re-directed to a mobile or landline number and will therefore not occur any telephone charges.

Sorry. Can I clarify?

You purchase a Skype number from your home country. You have set the redirection to your Thai mobile number. A friend or relative rings you in Thailand. On your smart phone, you have a Thai sim card running and Skype running off the data package from that Thai sim card. I understand there will be charges to take the call, either way, but will the redirected call go to the Skype program running off data, or the sim card? I believe one costs a lot more than the other.

Also, when you are at home, and your data is turned off and you are using your wifi, same question.

Does Skype also redirect to your username because Skype sees you as being online, or you can only redirect to a landline or sim card?

Sorry. Can I clarify?

You purchase a Skype number from your home country. You have set the redirection to your Thai mobile number. A friend or relative rings you in Thailand. On your smart phone, you have a Thai sim card running and Skype running off the data package from that Thai sim card. I understand there will be charges to take the call, either way, but will the redirected call go to the Skype program running off data, or the sim card? I believe one costs a lot more than the other.

Also, when you are at home, and your data is turned off and you are using your wifi, same question.

Does Skype also redirect to your username because Skype sees you as being online, or you can only redirect to a landline or sim card?

As long as you have the Skype number forwarded to a mobile phone you will have to pay once you accept the call on your mobile. If you use the Skype software on your mobile or on wifi you do not need to pay.

I have done following to avoid costs if I am online with Skype. I have only forwarded all calls if I am offline or if I do not answer within 10 seconds.

If I accept the call during that time I do not need to pay anything, only if I accept the calls on my Thai mobile number. The caller itself will only get charged a standard domestic call.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

I use Skype only for messaging to friends, who prefer Skype, and dont use other apps.

I like Viber much more, for both messaging, and phone calls. Calls are free

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...