New year's eve in thailand.

ultimate weapon

Nah, nothing happens.

ultimate weapon ... no need to come to Thailand then

Dead Boring, all the weapons are asleep under the bridge.

The 1st January is a Western date.

Thais celebrate New Year during Songran which usually is in April ... come then.

OH, I forgot to ask ... are you in Thailand at the moment?

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Nah, nothing happens.

Thais celebrate New Year during Songran which usually is in April ... come then.

Nope but i can always fly over at a moment's notice. 5 star hotels are really cheap too but i'm hoping to see something exciting.

Lampang is a really nice place to spend New Year's. Less crowded, less hectic and less touristy than Chiang Mai. Very laid-back, and they float the traditional lanterns in huge numbers, which is cool to see.

Have to agree with that post. Lampang is a lovely part of Thailand, not (yet) overrun by tourists, so the local people still very friendly to falangs (in my personal experience)... Can't comment on New Years eve there, however Song Karn is a blast in Lampang and I make a point of visiting each year!

Nah, nothing happens.

Christmas is nothing here although the supermarkets are making a big but purely commercial push this year. Even our 7/11 has a big decorated tree outside. Hmm, must check to see if it's chained down.

New Year? Well everyone who can comes home for it, seems to be a big deal.

Of course Songkran is the biggie but seems to have got out of hand the last few years.

Boring in the village, except the year I let off a 6inch mortar and nearly burned the joint down.

Awesome in some places though. I won't go into detail but I have had the best ever ny party in my life over there.drunk.gif

It's good where I am - usually start on the beach with the family - food, drink , a staged cabaret and of course fireworks at the hour.

My wife then takes the kids home and I go into town to see my faring friends ( don't bother with comments about chauvinism - I don't care ) to have a more booze related celebration of the year's passing.

Seems to work - by the way David 48 , Thais do celebrate New Year on Dec 31st/ 1st Jan and have done since I first came here in 74 - Songkran is Songkran, not New Year - note when the year changes in the calendar .

• Like 1

Is it like a bunch of drunken farangs

What exactly are you looking for? What is it like?(not "how is it like"):People get drunk, make noise, shoot off fire works, sing songs, go home, sleep, barf and sleep some more. Then the next day they feel, look, smell like death.

If you're not in Thailand, what would make it worthwhile to travel here just for NY? Do you expect some exotic, mystical happening that only can be found here?

What are the celebrations like (not "how are the celebrations like")?Wherever you go it's going to be a bunch of annoying people being as__oles just like most weekends only more so.

cartoon-drunk-happy-new-year-woody-woodp

Edited by Suradit69

Is it like a bunch of drunken farangs

What exactly are you looking for? What is it like?(not "how is it like"):People get drunk, make noise, shoot off fire works, sing songs, go home, sleep, barf and sleep some more. Then the next day they feel, look, smell like death.

If you're not in Thailand, what would make it worthwhile to travel here just for NY? Do you expect some exotic, mystical happening that only can be found here?

What are the celebrations like (not "how are the celebrations like")?Wherever you go it's going to be a bunch of annoying people being as__oles just like most weekends only more so.

cartoon-drunk-happy-new-year-woody-woodp

Not quite the right time for New Year wishes, but....................Happy New Year Mr Scrooge, BAH HUMBUG!whistling.gif

I have the fireworks.(plenty of them)

pizza ordered,from an Italian owned pizzeria (will be delivered)

The lane will be lit by parrafin lanterns,as will my garden.

The neighbours will supply beer and Thai food.

A good night will be had by all.

The Thais celebrate the New Year very nicely.

As this is also a premature send off (I leave in April) for an elongated travel program,outside of Asia.

The party will be all the more poignant.

Happy New year.