Saw a La Pavoni semi-auto espresso machine @ Verasu

thairookie

I'd recommend a Nespresso, great choice of coffee and coffee keeps fresh in the pods unlike loose beans

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The problem with Nespresso is I will be held to ransom. It doesn't offer a choice to try out other coffee beans.

I also prefer my Nespreso.

This kind of machine is too boring, I gave up because coffee is not even better.

Nespresso is quite nice indeed.

The problem in Thailand: Nespresso machines cost around 12000 baht, while at home it is 4000 B. Capsules equally overpriced 2-3 fold.

(Just another example that Thailand is not a cheap country)

I also prefer my Nespreso.

This kind of machine is too boring, I gave up because coffee is not even better.

Nespresso is quite nice indeed.

The problem in Thailand: Nespresso machines cost around 12000 baht, while at home it is 4000 B. Capsules equally overpriced 2-3 fold.

(Just another example that Thailand is not a cheap country)

Coffee beans imported from overseas are subject to 95% tariff in Thailand. So don't be surprised if your ILLY at one of those coffee kiosks tastes differently.

In most countries, the capsule machine sellers make a loss (or break even) on the sale of the unit, in anticiapation of recouping huge profit through repeat sales of the capsules. In Thailand, they do both...and the govt gets a huge whack of import tax. The capsules are ok but nowhere near as good as the bean based machines. However, it is very hard to find a good machine under 30,000. Central has some nice ones, Verasu a couple, but almost double the price outside Thailand. China is now making some ok machines but they are not imported here, as far as I know

Many Thais bring their Nespresso machines from abroad when they are in a country with reasonable prices.

But if you want some proper coffee in Thailand, consider a Bialetti Mocca Express. Buy the original, not the copy from China. Of course overpriced as well, but still affordable.

Then you have to find good coffee. There are some acceptable coffees from Chiang Mai, nothing really great, but that's probably the best you can find here.

In most countries, the capsule machine sellers make a loss (or break even) on the sale of the unit, in anticiapation of recouping huge profit through repeat sales of the capsules. In Thailand, they do both...and the govt gets a huge whack of import tax. The capsules are ok but nowhere near as good as the bean based machines. However, it is very hard to find a good machine under 30,000. Central has some nice ones, Verasu a couple, but almost double the price outside Thailand. China is now making some ok machines but they are not imported here, as far as I know

I believe the brand Severin brought in by Verasu at available at some of Verasu's stores in Robinsons and Isetan are made in China. They are super automatic, btw.

I never tried nespresso, but tried 2 different capsule - pod coffee machines in my homecountry.

However, there is no way grinded & packed coffee can taste better than freshly roasted & grinded coffee (I mean grinded just before using).

Espresso machines are expensive here in Thailand because only Farangs and rich Thais are interested in such things (luxury).

Last year I bought a Mini Mex barista I set for myself about 10,000 baht. It includes milk frother and coffee grinder and an 18 bar espresso machine. I'm pretty happy with it, it is made in Thailand but build quality is pretty good if not best. Now they are selling a fully automatic espresso machine + milk frother (milk is not automatic) machine for 19,990 baht. They also have another one with automatic milk frother built-in for 38,000 baht. Compared to other automatic (without auto milk frothing) machine prices, I'd say its very decently priced. Local warranty also services to home, which is a plus.

To compare pod coffee to fresh coffee, I can tell you that even my wife (Thai) understands the difference and prefers fresh one despite the fact that she has no special interest in coffee (only drinks one latte per every morning)