Mysterious death in Chiang Mai

Lite Beer

Mysterious death in Chiang Mai
The Sunday Nation

CHIANG MAI: -- Police found the body of an 84-year-old foreigner, identified later as Paul Lincke, near Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai yesterday. Lying beside the body was a 9mm gun and an ammunition case, Pol Captain Winai Ravidej said.

Lincke's relatives said the retired German soldier was in good health and had lived in Chiang Mai for 14 years. Judging from the bullet trajectory, police said he could have shot himself. The cause of the death would be further investigated, Winai said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-29

The deaths of 2 Swedes found lying on the kitchen floor of

their Chiang Mai house a few years ago,police said they died

of hypothermia !,Swedes are people who frolic about nude in

the snow after a sauna,now thats mysterious deaths to me.

regards Worgeordie

Do Swedes do this everyday, or is it like a weekend thing? Maybe they died because there was no hot tub?

• Like 1

I've met several older folks who were 'ready.' I listened in to a conversation being held between several older women pool-side at my mother's retirement village. These were ladies all in their 80's-90's discussing how they were going the check out. Most had been to Mexico to purchase a box of veterinary secobarbitol and kept them in the medicine cabinet for when they decided they were done. Between the spouse dead and buried, the kids married and having lives of their own half a continent away, and too many aches and pains to make daily life enjoyable or something to look forward to, combined with having already done all the things they'd wanted to do, made 'hanging around' not such a nice prospect for them. A glass of good wine and a handful of sleeping pills, while sitting at home listening to some nice music beats the hell out of laying in some strange hospital bed a year or two later waiting for it to be over...

Unfortunately, the pills and alcohol method don't always work, and you wind up with a severe stroke, requiring bed-ridden care until the natural end of the line.

My late father in law was a doctor, with a large geriatric/nursing home clientele. He told me he had a "kit" of the proper drugs, and when he saw the signs for himself that his effective life was over, he would "do it." Unfortunately, he slid downhill after retirement, and dementia set in, and he couldn't carry out his plan. Died in a nursing home. I think he dimly remembered his earlier plan, but now was in no position to pull it off.

The man last week who checked out using charcoal (Carbon monoxide)...that's the first time I've heard of that method. The charcoal used comonly in Thailand is pretty nasty stuff. Looks like it was rendered from old pallets. The smoke coming from street vendor charcoal is a big contributor to local air problems.

R.I.P. to the gentleman. You had a good long run.

• Like 1

Another poorly written and banal article from those who actually take money for writing this drivel. The trajectory although a forensic factor is only marginally definitive. Suicide by gun shot requires that the barrel of the weapon would be in proximity of the entry wound which would cause powder burns in that area and leave an undeniable fact that the shot was discharged at close range, however, that still does not predicate that the wound was self inflicted. Most but not all suicides by gun shot are carried out by a shot to the head. The article fails to mention the location of the wound. Furthermore the trajectory can not be determined by simple observing the external areas of the entry wound.

Another poorly written and banal article from those who actually take money for writing this drivel. The trajectory although a forensic factor is only marginally definitive. Suicide by gun shot requires that the barrel of the weapon would be in proximity of the entry wound which would cause powder burns in that area and leave an undeniable fact that the shot was discharged at close range, however, that still does not predicate that the wound was self inflicted. Most but not all suicides by gun shot are carried out by a shot to the head. The article fails to mention the location of the wound. Furthermore the trajectory can not be determined by simple observing the external areas of the entry wound.

I really don't think the article was written giving all the factors involved. Check the police report. They are often very different from the news paper report.

My mother in her late 70's made no secret about it she was ready to go. She had the paper that no artificial machines were to be used. She said she had had a good life and did not wish to be a burden on all around her as she had seen other older people become. She was out for a walk had a heart attack was taken to the hospital at the age of 85 where my sister informed them that she did not wish any artificial means. She died happy. I had an uncle who passed away at the age of 92 the last year of his life my family under the direction of my brother and a cousin arranged for visits and people to look after his wife who was suffering from Alzheimer. for some reason when my uncle was not in the care home she was a little better. At any rate my brother told me he hopes he never puts people through that.

We had a resident here die a few weeks ago.

I was just next door visiting some friends the wife is sick and sure enough there was the widow taking care of her. There are some Thais who are great care givers. No matter what.

I suppose I see 84 in the context of my aunt who died recently aged 103. In her own home until the last 10 days, and looking after herself with a little help each day.

And my 88 year old one eyed golf buddy in Spain. Has a buggie now on our mountainous course but plays 3 times a week and plays well. Amazing guy -goes to lunch occasionally with his family, and back the same day. To the UK -3 hour flight each way. Add on journey to, and waiting time at, the airport, and it makes a tiring day

I guess we all age at differing rates and with differing ailments (maybe you have to choose your parents carefully) but if this gentleman here did take his own life, it is very sad, particularly at this time of year. Probably has someone grieving somewhere.

I suppose I see 84 in the context of my aunt who died recently aged 103. In her own home until the last 10 days, and looking after herself with a little help each day.

And my 88 year old one eyed golf buddy in Spain. Has a buggie now on our mountainous course but plays 3 times a week and plays well. Amazing guy -goes to lunch occasionally with his family, and back the same day. To the UK -3 hour flight each way. Add on journey to, and waiting time at, the airport, and it makes a tiring day

I guess we all age at differing rates and with differing ailments (maybe you have to choose your parents carefully) but if this gentleman here did take his own life, it is very sad, particularly at this time of year. Probably has someone grieving somewhere.

You're dead right (sorry - couldn't help it). Genetics are soooo important. I have a 72 year old friend still working full time, travelling incessantly to visit his girlfriends on different continents and swimming everyday - and I know another man the same age with an everyday life of arthritic hips he can't afford to replace, constant pain requiring heavy-duty drugs that leave him dopy and constipated, as well as the unfortunately common after effects of prostate surgery - incontinence and impotence. I can imagine the latter at some point, sadly, taking action to end his life primarily because he cannot access adequate health care. We don't know the full situation of the 84 year old gentleman in this story, but it does appear he may have taken that "great existential leap into the grave" to end any of those factors likely to affect an 84 year old - physical or mental deterioration, or even social isolation.

Some of us are old at 60, some still young at 85. I'm constantly amazed when I learn people's ages. Once someone passe 50 I can't even come close to guessing correctly, and usually err on the old side 9 times out of 10.

I'm 67, walk 10 kilometers most every day, scuba dive, fence, take jungle treks, do pushups (pressups for our UK cousins,) and sit-ups for a few minutes every morning, etc. I'm basically in good physical condition for a senior citizen.

I plan to live forever... unless I get tired of living.

I refuse to be a burden to my wife or family. I refuse to live my life in a chair. It's my choice to make. I hate having someone wait on me. I don't even like anyone doing my laundry for me. When I can no longer do the things I want to do, when I have nothing new and exciting to look forward to, when I know I've done what I've wanted to do, then I'll know it's my time to go. My choice.

I have a feeling it was this fellow's choice too. I don't know his reasons. I don't know if I'd agree with his reasons, but it's HIS choice, not mine.

I hope he finds a better peace where he's gone...

• Like 2

Some of us are old at 60, some still young at 85. I'm constantly amazed when I learn people's ages. Once someone passe 50 I can't even come close to guessing correctly, and usually err on the old side 9 times out of 10.

I'm 67, walk 10 kilometers most every day, scuba dive, fence, take jungle treks, do pushups (pressups for our UK cousins,) and sit-ups for a few minutes every morning, etc. I'm basically in good physical condition for a senior citizen.

I refuse to be a burden to my wife or family. I refuse to live my life in a chair. It's my choice to make. I hate having someone wait on me. I don't even like anyone doing my laundry for me. When I can no longer do the things I want to do, when I have nothing new and exciting to look forward to, when I know I've done what I've wanted to do, then I'll know it's my time to go. My choice.

I have a feeling it was this fellow's choice too. I don't know his reasons. I don't know if I'd agree with his reasons, but it's HIS choice, not mine.

then I'll know it's my time to go. My choice.

Interesting..and i am of the same mind set.......as long as you are mentally fit and still able to decide when that time is and able to make the choice and do it right.[the first time must be the last time]

then I'll know it's my time to go. My choice.

Interesting..and i am of the same mind set.......as long as you are mentally fit and still able to decide when that time is and able to make the choice and do it right.[the first time must be the last time]

As the Bard said; 'There in lies the rub...'

It's almost a paradox. If we are still mentally alert enough to deal with it, should we not consider that we still have more life to live? Yet if we aren't, we can't take the step. No one said it would be easy...

• Like 2