Where to buy cheap Classical Guitar for beginner?

sup3r1or

Hi Everyone,

I want to learn to play guitar since I have got quite a lot of free time now. I wan to buy a classical and cheap guitar to learn basics then I can go to more expensive acoustical guitar later.

Anyone knows a place or shop/market in CR to pick one up.

At Central CR they are very expensive.

You don't want one that's so cheap it's hard to tune or play. You'll get discouraged. Someone on here should know what to buy for a beginner. Yamaha used to make a very good intermediate guitar that sold for about 10,000 baht and was good enough to keep for years.

• Like 1

There are 3 shops that I know of apart from Central (2) and Big C (1) ; one near the old bus station, on the corner a block further towards the highway; one near the back drive-in to Central 100 metres or so closer to town on the left; and one at the crossroads near the law court. The one at the bus station has most choice.

There are some remarkably good cheap Chinese imports; Future is a brand you could look at. But with a cheap brand it's a bit hit-and-miss so it'd be good idea to take someone along who can check it out for you.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

10k a bit too steep for beginners considering that first lessons are not about sound just getting used to actually working with strings.

OK, but if you buy one that's no good, even a very good guitar player couldn't play it, so how could a beginner? It has to do with tuning, staying in tune, the way the strings align with the fret board, the height of the strings above the fret board, the evenness of the frets, the angle of the neck and so on.

The guitar must at least be "playable." This is a case where if you buy too cheap, you throw all of your money away. Someone can help you choose one that is just above the level of junk, and just into the level of a real guitar.

I'd suggest buying the type of guitar that you want long term (eg classical, steel string acoustic, electric etc) now, as they have different dynamics. For example, the long, wide, flat fingerboard/neck of a classical is going to be an obstacle if you're planning on migrating to a different type of guitar later (vice versa is true too !). Also 2 guitars will be more expensive than 1 ;-)

Thanks everyone.

10k a bit too steep for beginners considering that first lessons are not about sound just getting used to actually working with strings.

Someone else said on this blog that buying a cheap guitar will only discourage you. That's true. You can't but cheap pianos. If you insist getting a cheap guitar ensure that the strings, when properly tuned, are not too high abovr the fret board. Look down the neck from the tuning keys towards the body to ensure the fret board is not warped or twisted laterally or longitudinally, i.e no dips or twists. The height above the strings is called the 'action'. looking fromthe side along the fret board will also let you see that the strings are of even height. Make sure you choose gut strings, not wire. Finally get a good teacher.

Good luck

Edited by PlastikbinLina

I haven't looked at the classical guitar market here, but you should be able to get a decent beginner's guitar for under 10,000 baht. A couple of years ago I picked up a new Future brand copy of one of the classic vintage rock guitars in Chiang Mai.

I can't remember the exact price, but I don't think it was much over 3,000 baht. Believe me (no-one ever does) the neck, setup and playability were as good as the original that it was modelled on (I know for sure as I also had one of those - 5,000 USD). And I know that wasn't just a fluke, as some other online comments about Future were also very positive. I'm not sure if they make classical style models.

But do take someone with you who knows what to look for.

I use proplugin.com to check Thai prices of music gear.

I've ordered some from them and had the shop near the intersection on walking st order other things I don't want posted.

The shop near the old bus station is good too.

http://proplugin.com/guitar-bass/guitar/acoustic-guitar.pro?order=price&dir=asc

A few decent looking Yamaha nylon strings for under 10K there.

• Like 1

I use proplugin.com to check Thai prices of music gear.

I've ordered some from them and had the shop near the intersection on walking st order other things I don't want posted.

The shop near the old bus station is good too.

http://proplugin.com/guitar-bass/guitar/acoustic-guitar.pro?order=price&dir=asc

A few decent looking Yamaha nylon strings for under 10K there.

Good tip Riggi.

Re online ordering, I ordered a box of goodies from Thai Boulevard aka Music Boulevard in Bkk; they have an extensive online store, and can source a lot more than that too. They handle all the overseas ordering, import admin and taxes, and delivery to your door. They were able to source stuff for me much cheaper than I was myself and with none of the hassle. I was really impressed and the manager speaks good English too.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

OP ... If you don't know much about guitars I strongly suggest you find someone you can trust to help you .. A nylon string is softer on the fingers and easier to start BUT if your choice is to go to steel string .. buy a steel string first and tough it out .. It's very important to make sure you buy a guitar with correct intonation !! , a low action will also help but make sure there is no Fret Buzz, and of course the construction IE is that Neck gonna stay straight and true ?? ... Get one with a cutaway so one day you can get right up the neck :) Around 2000+ bht will get you a descent one IF you look carefully .. I've helped a few starters and thats what I set them up on ... Plenty of coppies around, some OK a lot not ..... Good Luck with your new hobby , Jammings a great way to meet friends .. CHOKDEE !! PS If you want a well known brand you will pay more .... PSS Carabaou have a half descent Guitar ...

I would go with the Yamaha. They are very jealous and protective of their name because they also build very high end things.

Right now they make the best 9' concert grand piano in the world, retailing for U$120,000 (almost 4 million baht.)

Here's a used one for $65,000 (2.1 million baht.) Link

They simply can't afford to sell junk.

I would go with the Yamaha. They are very jealous and protective of their name because they also build very high end things.

Right now they make the best 9' concert grand piano in the world, retailing for U$120,000 (almost 4 million baht.)

Here's a used one for $65,000 (2.1 million baht.) Link

They simply can't afford to sell junk.

Just perfect for a beginner on a budget ;-)

• 5 months later...

There are 3 shops that I know of apart from Central (2) and Big C (1) ; one near the old bus station, on the corner a block further towards the highway; one near the back drive-in to Central 100 metres or so closer to town on the left; and one at the crossroads near the law court. The one at the bus station has most choice.

There are some remarkably good cheap Chinese imports; Future is a brand you could look at. But with a cheap brand it's a bit hit-and-miss so it'd be good idea to take someone along who can check it out for you.

I am looking for an acoustic or electroacoustic in Bangkok. I notice everyone keeps referring to this guitar shop near the old bus station. Can you be a little more specific about where it is? I don't know what or where "the old bus station" is. Also, "on the corner a block further toward the highway" is just confusing me. On what corner? Toward which highway? A little more detail would be appreciated : )