Bangkok Shutdown: Skipping work not an option for some

webfact

PROTESTS
Skipping work not an option for some

Tanpisit Lerdbamrungchai
The Nation

Blockade makes life difficult for many, but some also finding opportunities

BANGKOK: -- Many Commuters in Bangkok are struggling to find their way to work, no matter what protest is going on.

"I can't skip work. If I don't report to work, I won't get my wages," a 51-year-old office cleaner said yesterday, as she watched the Bangkok shutdown spread into further areas across the capital.

The woman's workplace was located at Asoke Intersection, but it was full of anti-government demonstrators as of press time.

The office cleaner learnt that she may not be able to get a bus to and from the intersection, but she had no plans to stop coming to work.

"No matter how difficult it is to get here, I will definitely come to work," she said. However, she ruled out the option of catching a ride on the BTS Skytrain, saying the service was too expensive for a low-income earner like her.

She said a BTS ride from On Nut to Asoke could cost her Bt30 each way and she earned just Bt300 a day.

"I can't afford the transport cost of Bt60 a day because I have to save my wages for food and other expenses," she explained.

The woman planned to stick to bus rides and walking. "I can walk till I find a bus," she said.

A security guard working in the same area said he could not plan in advance how he would commute while the shutdown was on. "But what I know is I have to come to work every day," the 50-year-old said.

A 40-year-old worker at a laundry shop looked on as the crowd grew bigger at Asoke. "If I can't go home, I will sleep here," he said.

A number of office workers paid monthly wages said they would also continue to come to work despite the shutdown.

"I drive to work," Supen Pringkratoke said yesterday.

Asked what she would do now that Asoke was blocked, she said, "I may drive to a nearby location where I can park my car. Then, I can get a motorcycle taxi and walk to my office."

Meanwhile, motorcycle taxi driver Laoyia sae Weu said he was doing okay as he had got more passengers than normal because many demonstrators wanted a ride.

Elsewhere, a health official, aged 46, said she was able to get to her workplace in Nonthaburi faster yesterday, as the shutdown eased traffic congestion in many areas because a number of people did not go to work. Speaking on condition of anonymity, this official admitted, "Actually, I did not want to work . But when I saw my friends coming to work, I decided to report to work too."

She was quick to add that she had no plan to join the protest rather than going to work. "I don't like both sides in the ongoing political conflict. I think it would be better for the country if they could talk together but now they don't," she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-14

The reduction in traffic is certainly to my advantage, 45 minutes to drive home yesterday as opposed to a usual 1 hour 15 - 30 minutes. Stayed in bed and extra 30 mins this morning, still early at the office.

Have to make my own coffee though, the office maid is at the protest sad.png

• Like 2

I really feel for a lot of Thais who this is causing big problems for. Looking through my list of Thai friends on Facebook around 5 of around 100 are open supporters of all this, one is openly red and many more are pissed off and stressed out at how it's affecting their lives - in some cases seriously. In all cases these people don't like Thaksin but also don't believe that overthrowing this government will cause any real change.

One close female friend and her colleagues have been forced to take 4 days vacation this week (all reception staff at a top 5* hotel) as occupancy is so low and have been warned that if it continues they will have to take time off with no pay and should it go on and on that some staff will lose their jobs - this isn't at a small hotel but a large international brand.

• Like 1

The woman earns 300 baht per day as a cleaner... Watching the situation unfold over the weeks, this woman is the one person that has made any sense! Make her PM! And give her the Asian person of the year award!!

The only reason why this cleaner gets 300 Baht/day is due to Yingluck minimum wages policy, hence she must be thankful of Yingluck, and probable because of this, she could be a Red shirt supporter.

I think the writer has picked the wrong person for interview, as to me, the candidate is clearly bias.

The woman earns 300 baht per day as a cleaner... Watching the situation unfold over the weeks, this woman is the one person that has made any sense! Make her PM! And give her the Asian person of the year award!!

The only reason why this cleaner gets 300 Baht/day is due to Yingluck minimum wages policy, hence she must be thankful of Yingluck, and probable because of this, she could be a Red shirt supporter.

I think the writer has picked the wrong person for interview, as to me, the candidate is clearly bias.

Brilliant, another one up for post of the month!

• Like 1

A bias brought on by having a 10 dollar a day minimum wage...

I would guess her employer, out in the streets with his whistle, equally biased against paying it.

• Like 1

A bias brought on by having a 10 dollar a day minimum wage...

I would guess her employer, out in the streets with his whistle, equally biased against paying it.

...and she spends 20% of her income getting to and from work. Her fortitude has to be admired. In contrast, the health worker, paid a montly salary, only went to work because her friends did so.

• Like 1

I am interested to know how much damage Suthep's demonstrations and lock downs is costing the Kingdom of Thailand. Many people are inconvenienced and have to find ways to support their families even though there is a lock down. Count all of those who are on the streets and multiply that with the minimum daily wage. Count all those businesses that cannot open because of Mr. Suthep's rallies. The taxi drivers who cannot work because the major intersections are blocked. The hotel and tour bookings that have been cancelled. The flights that have been cancelled. The longer travel times for persons who have to find alternative and longer routes to get from one place to another. Then think... Who pays for that lost productivity?